Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

An update on my pricing of some fertiliser for next yr.have to take it straight away but only getting half of the cut swd I looked into buying.I know it’s a gamble to buy but at least I’ll have enough can for the spring time to see first half of 2022 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

China after banning phosphate exports out to june 2022, they account for 30% of world exports, bought fertilizier for next years maize this morning had it in branch but that was the last of it, next year is looking very messy to put it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I solved that problem today I was potentially over stocked at 3.2 live stock units to the hectare. I brought weanlings out today and sold them. I am now down at 2.6. I never sell weanlings but if fertiliser gets expensive which it will the market could get depressed and this is where I don’t want to be pushing grass with too much cattle. I will sail through it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's a whole level of serious again.

Might close a few paddocks earlier than normal, to ensure a extra bite in Spring.

• Advertisement

Quite the few in the parish cacs still.🙂

You must have dry ground.

At least people are getting long notice for this problem.

It may drive up cattle prices globally as much of the global beef market is not grass intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Your right. Still a good few but manageable. The truth is no one knows what will happen and what will the outcome of higher fertiliser prices.

I spoke to a guy the last day, he said maybe this is the the start of a change in farming practices. Can we continue to pump chemical fertiliser into the ground. We expect nitrogen to remain a cheap way to grow grass. But can we continue to destroy the flora and fauna of our soil all we hear is the tillage farmers saying the birds are not following the Plough. Maybe these high prices might make all of us look for another way or a better way to farm. I am not advocating organic but a more cost effective way to farm and that utilise our soil and encourages to grow grass in a different better way. Necessity is mother of invention

Usually spread nutri-root from grassland agro but picked up a beet mixture that goldings make its not ideal but will have to make do

What is that I never heard of it. How does it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

is it just N that has gone through the roof? Or is P and K the same?

This will damper the digestors now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Oh?

Why do?

Are they dependent on high energy, high input crops like maize or beet?

Amen. The days of heavy fertilizer use are over. Everything is going against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There'll be some run on seaweed off the beaches. 🤣

It is worrying though. But the only good thing is everyone is in the same boat. Plenty of time though between now and March. The West never took a bit of notice when all this consolidation was going on of ag industries. Now there's monopolies. And Yara promoting the EAT Lancet thingy. Too few now control the world. The push to electric cars and renewables probably will have a bearing on gas supply from the petrochemical industry too.

I'm not a full believer on regenerative or full organic yet. I still think a certain amount of nutrients will have to be brought back on farm. It can't be all out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not necessarily but the ones here would looking for grass and slurry,which may be in tight supply

Post edited by Mooooo on

Their looking for slurry, and if fert gets expensive they might find it hard to get. Also if crops are gona get more expensive to grow, it will become unfeasible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You also need GPS to avoid grass scorching and know the rates

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Slurry will be valuable next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hope all this isn't just scaremongering from other country's, similar to the fuel shortage in the UK.

Factories are closed already, it's already locked I

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Add in rising fuel prices, the barrel of oil is set to go to $90, we will be back to a euro/litre soon. This will drive up the cost of slurry spreading, silage making etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If it’s only a one year blip it should be inconvenient rather than crushing for people unless massively overstocked.

ground in good management should carry over without much bag p or k for one year.

the overall climate I think will see inputs rise, green diesel in particular will get to the €1 and likely never come down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whats your definition of massively over stocked?

Can’t say I know anyone who is

we’re a little over 1lu/ac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭endainoz

This 100%. The constant use of chemical fert is unsustainable for the ground in the long run. Overall usage of nitrogen in the ground has steadily been increasing since people started using it, as have fert prices. Farmers need to spread more and spend more than they had to 30 years ago to achieve the same level of growth, how is that sustainable?

There are alternatives out there though, chemical nitrogen can be mostly replaced by good clover swards. Multispecies swards have to be adopted in a more widespread way, the nobody would have to rely on the bag completely. It's still in it's early phases especially with regard to using it on silage ground but the research is very promising.

I'd also encourage anyone here concerned about soil health to join the pilot soil sampling scheme on ag food where you will get deep soil analysis to on your farm and find out what trace elements are in the ground that you can potentially unlock.

China's curbing exports out of desperation rather than a political move, their seriously short of power and their banning of coal from australian to relying on natural gas has blew up in their face, with it 290% dearer then a few months ago, rolling blackouts are already occurring out their and winter hasn't even set-in they simply haven't the energy supplies to manufacture fertilizer like they used to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s no definite answer to that though, it can vary massively from farm to farm depending on conditions and location.

One of the problems in farming are lads trying to shoehorn every farm under a single measurement without taking local factors into account, never mind individual farmer skills.

bit no doubt in every parish there are lads who have been getting by with overuse of fertiliser, they will be most impacted by this as if they have to drop back their spreading their land will drop significantly in production leaving them with feed problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Seed companies really loving this multi species swards

sales will be a lot higher for it over grass seeds as it doesn’t last

I’ve no interest in it for that reason

good grass and clover sward is the future IMO

too many farmers are using N as the easy way out of growing grass

teagasc have been promoting getting your indexes and ph right for a long time as a way of cutting N usuage

Advertisement