Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move... WTF is going on with prices?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

Are all the areas like this? Bidding going over the asking price?

I've seen some areas have lower prices, Cabra, Ashtown, Northern Cross, Clongriffin, Coolock or Inchicore. Anybody knows what's going on there and why the prices are lower? Are they less desirable areas of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Those areas likely have bidding going over asking price as well, just with asking being at a lower level.

Like most parts of Dublin, those areas have good and bad estates - often within a few hundred metres of each other.

Parts of Inchicore in particular would be seen as very desirable due to the central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yes to both, indeed, i think somehow quite some of us knew what are the reasons behind the whole mess gahhh and thinking that makes me sad.

One last sanity check, i had a quick look at the extreme/on steroid city Tokyo 14mil population (nationalat 120mil) vs Dublin 1.5mil (national 5mil)

(https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Japan&city1=Tokyo&country2=Ireland&city2=Dublin) - the salary/rent is still insane to look at for Dublin (honestly think the data makes Dublin looks better because i dont think 2.9k is anywhere near average salary here but i also know tokyo average salary should be around 2k euro equivalent) - it just doesn't make sense and sure as hell overall it is not sustainable. Long story short, weak policies that definitely need improvement (do the parties really care?) - and well ya, i dont think alot of issues that we have seen will be solved anytime soon.

(Ah mod i thought these posts show some good discussions - but yes no further bickering)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I posted earlier in this thread about a house I've for sale for 150k and lots of viewings but no one really interested, we have dropped the price to 130 with the hope that it might sell but after 6 more viewings it's still not got any real interest.

I'm thinking of pulling it off the market and renting again as I've had more interest in it as a rental property, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

where abouts is the house and what type of house is it?

How is the broadband? I now lots of people now who wont even consider a house without good broadband at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Don't want to be too specific on the house in case I break forum rules on advertising etc but the house has fibre broadband and you can see the cell tower from the rear, located in a village 10 mins from a major golf course in the west and 3 bed detached, 800m from primary school, it has everything going for it except someone to buy it, can't figure why it has not sold already yet have had several enquries to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Griffith Avenue.. is that an affordable location to buy a house?

I know a postman, just bought there.

I must have wasted my time going to college for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sounds strange alright. Maybe try a different agent. I know of agents who purposely interfere with bids and sales to get the price down so their mates can buy cheap. Change agent and see what happens.

Also go into the house and view yourself as a viewer. Look over the fence to the neighbours gardens. Anything that would turn you off if you were to buy there. Like a house beside that is clearly rented.

I definitely wouldnt get into renting again though if i were you. You might never get the house back again when the next legislation comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Around Griffith Avenue is probably quite expensive to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What condition is it in? What you have done to bring it to market ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Did they actually buy a house or one of the new apartments being built? I'd be very surprised anybody could buy a house on the road for anything less than €500k and then you are buying a small house from the Marino estate that face Griffith Avenue. The other houses are €750k+ and huge. Either way a previous sale of property or an inheritance is the most likely way they could afford there. Nice spot but the apartments being built there might change a bit of the dynamic. Not sure how many are being built but at least 3 huge blocks and I don't know if they are being built for rent or purchase

Bought a house, red bricked type.

This is a guy who delivers post on a bicycle.

So?

why do you assume he doesn't have money to buy there? Perhaps he has other income on top of his postman salary, perhaps he's very sensible with his investments, unless you are extremely close with this guy, how do you know his financial affairs?

jealousy is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Really doesn't describe the house as there are a number of different types of redbrick houses on the road. I think calling jealousy is right. He managed to afford it but it doesn't sound like you are friends. Lots of people have different situations that people don't know about.

I remember I bumped into my old boss outside my house because it turns out his in-laws lived on my road. He was obviously disgusted seeing me being younger than him living where he couldn't afford it was all very weird as he went about questioning how I live there. Your mam's house, in laws, renting etc... before I said we bought it 5 years ago. He really didn't want to know that and was itching to ask how we could afford it. It was quite simple we sold our first house and got a slightly bigger mortgage added savings but got a house twice the size. Houses for FTBs were shooting up faster than the next level up and when we bought the first house there was a weird price difference on the same road where people were paying an extra 10% for houses on one portion of the road divided by a main road. As prices rose and the 10% disappeared as well we made a large profit meaning the mortgage increase was quite small and we got a tracker so it actually is cheaper than the first house would be now.

I know one couple that made a killing on their first house that the ended up with a huge house and a smaller mortgage than us. The property boom before the crash had a lot of winners as well as losers but it is always a gamble you just have to reduce risk where you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Well he's not going to be getting a 90 per cent mortgage for that property on a postman's salary.

But really there's loads of other factors completely unrelated to your job/income which determine where you can afford to live - equity from a previous sale, inheritance, gifts from family members etc etc.

Fair play to him, it's a nice area and if it's the large red brick houses on Griffith avenue itself then it's a very nice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Maybe he found Bertie's money that he won on the horses, he lives just off Griffith Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tigger123

Bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I went to college for 10 years (Bachelors, Masters, PhD) and then post-doc'ed afterwards. Now I have a job moving letters and numbers around on a screen. Hard to see why that job is inherently worth more than breaking my bollocks cycling around delivering mail to ungrateful pricks.

If you went to college for 5 years for the express intention of making loadsacash, and now you don't make loadsacash, then the problem is with you. Maybe consider retraining as a postman?

Forgot to mention..

Drives a new Lexus, and is a member of an exclusive golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

At the end of https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/postman-pat-celebrates-7m-win-with-a-stroll-26718662.html#:~:text=But%20Ireland's%20latest%20multi%2Dmillionaire,National%20Lottery%20headquarters%20in%20Dublin. he does mention considering joining a golf club.

All joking aside, what's your point other than jealousy/elitism? It's an expensive area, a Lexus is an expensive car, and exclusive golf clubs are expensive. So he has money and you don't know how. It's not really any of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

feel free to close this thread admins... its gone slightly off track and answers (relevant) have been provided

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my friend turned a garage into an extra large bedroom .he got planning permisson ,put in 4 windows and 2 doors .he did all the work.

it cost him a few grand to buy the materials .i,d prefer to buy a mediocre house with a large garden as there will be space to build and extension ,than a great house with a small garden .its always been the case you can buy a large house in rural area,s for the price of a 1 bed house in dublin. there used to be always old houses for sale in dublin, needs renovation ,modernisation, those houses seem to be all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Latest property we viewed. First viewing yesterday, must have been 20+ couples viewing it… opening bids are close to 200k over asking price. Crazy times

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

That is an insane price for the Knock! West Dublin, come on

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

That’s crazy but 625k feels underpriced.

would have guessed 725-750k sale based on what Ive seen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Most postmen use a bicycle, although mine uses a tricycle. You can hardly expect him to use a scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

This guy seems to think that a successful postman delivers post in a Mercedes.

Advertisement