Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Must be all the 5g in the air, stopping her from watching GB news as well as giving everyone covid 🤣

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Following on the discussion of the last gov report which suggested the formation of OLEV and other such possible actions but nothing concrete. I came across a website from Germany, put up by the federal gov https://www.standorttool.de/strom/ladebedarfe/ Is in German so I used google translate

The tool combines data on the existing vehicle fleet, the existing recharging infrastructure stock and the transport patterns of German drivers. For each zone, the StandortTool also provides information on how to connect to the medium-voltage grid. In doing so, potential investors can get a first idea of the potential costs of connecting a recharging station to the grid at any given location. The StandortTool can also project future expected needs (with a time horizon of 2022 and 2030).

Now we know why the likes of Fastned are not going to come here anytime soon. They are given red carpet in other places and we give them red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ireland is probably too small for fastned to consider. They tend to go big. ESB also already have a sort of network with relatively low prices, hard to compete with. It would be relatively easy to find out grid connection costs and population density and traffic volumes, and factor in existing chargers. Main issue would be total cost for install.

In NI grid costs are far higher, which turned off petrol stations and Ionity, there is talk of charging this or subsidising the costs of new high power connections. I forsee chargers located where power lines cross motorways, with a cafe coming along eventually. Big sites are the future, not ones and twos. Grid connection costs are a big part of the cost, but you would also need a motorway exit nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Ireland is probably too small for fastned to consider. They tend to go big.

In UK Fastned has an average of 3.3 chargers per site across the 7 sites they have opened so far. The overall is 3.7

It would be relatively easy to find out grid connection costs and population density and traffic volumes, and factor in existing chargers.

I forsee chargers located where power lines cross motorways, with a cafe coming along eventually. Big sites are the future, not ones and twos. Grid connection costs are a big part of the cost, but you would also need a motorway exit nearby.

That is the whole point of the German tool. Removes the guess work by providing an open and transparent framework for planing. And that is not exclusive for charging hubs. They also provide data for H2 and CNG/LPG fueling stations. This is showing to all stakeholder where the gaps are. Power grid management company finds that there is a gap in a certain area and plans for it accordingly. The gov finds an area without commercial interest and steps in.

EU came up with a plan to have a charging station at every 60km by 2025, on major European roads, but they count only >150 kW units. The new ecars hub barley qualifies. Last week there was an article about Applegreen complaining abut the high costs but more about the lengthy waiting times, measured in multiples of years for high power connections to forecourts. These things don't show any planning whatsoever just the opposite. And the whole point is that we are competing to attract these companies here, or at least we should if we are serious about EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

"August was a special month for the European market, as the plug-in sales for the very first time outsold diesel cars!

In August, EVs and plug-in hybrids outsold their diesel counterparts. This time last year, the volume of EVs was 158,300 units less than diesel car registrations, however last month we saw these EVs outsell diesel vehicles by 10,100 units."

• Advertisement

Pretty sure anything with an exhaust is not really EV. Nobody plugs those ph cars in. Puffery for figures

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some definitely do.

We have work colleagues who make a big fuss about getting a spot on the work charger to charge their PHEVs.

Just listening to The Last Word, and apparently the government is going to increase the vrt on evs.

You couldn't make it up. This government hasn't got a clue.

I know it's bad, but am I the only one who was having a bit of a laugh at the fuel queues in the UK and thinking of all the ICE drivers who wouldn't get an EV because they have to queue for a charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The shoe could well be on the other foot soon, the way things are going here. Sitting at home with a dead car, unable to charge to get to work because the electricity was needed to power a data centre.

Worse, stuck at an eCars or Ionity hub on the motorway, half way home. No charging available - yep, rolling blackouts.

• Advertisement

True but I think it's more likely we'll see dramatic jumps in the cost of electricity, more than what we've been getting to date

Since we don't have a price cap, suppliers can raise prices as much as they want, and there isn't as much competition so unlikely we'll see the rake of energy companies closing down like the UK

Roll on the Celtic interconnector, get some energy from the continent when the UK decides to cut us off for being a bunch of insolent Paddy's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The electricity industry must be the only one in the world where suppliers complain about having more customers.

Nah, pretty sure the insurance companies were complaining about that a few years ago

Also, does the HSE count as a company? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Surely more of an effort could be made to level out the peak demand a bit.

Maybe a 5 -8pm peak tarrif to discourage people from running dishwashers, dryers, washing machines, charging cars etc during this time.

Or put everyone on a day/night rate.

Or even a few ad's to inform people that after 8pm is a better time to run energy hungry devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

At this point a simple ad campaign telling people to avoid using devices heavy on electricity is low hanging fruit. Yes you need the over for dinner time but the washing or drying can usually be done at a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Yeah well, you know, that's just like eh your opinion, man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agree, those of us more financially tuned have availed of night rate and movement of consumption to timed devices like dishwasher etc, middle ground are the PV users and at an extreme we have the battery peak shavers.

All of this will filter over time and for the "innocent" the shock to change habits will be the huge electricity bill and that will kick them into change

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

We should move the working day to 11pm to 8am .

That way we wont upset the data centers .

That's the idea of peak tariffs but unfortunately they tend to increase fuel poverty as well

There's plenty of options for mitigating energy usage during this time but they all cost money which you won't have as much of if you're paying for more energy

It'd be nice to see a balanced approach, for example a scheme to deep retrofit all social housing and people on the fuel allowance so that the impact is minimised

It could be time limited as well, for example the grant expires in 2025 or something to get people to hurry up and get their houses upgraded

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Someone’s been a naughty boy/girl……

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile in Navan, 2 clever PHEV drivers get the spots…….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I am wondering if there is anyone in here that might have any insight .. if you are members of the Irish EV Owners Assoc on Facebook you may have seen my post yesterday.

Short story is that on my first venture outside of charging range of my home charger yesterday I discovered that my new Leaf 40 will not charge at any public charge point.

I have both an EasyGo and ECars account with money in them - and confirmed that there isn't an issue with the account.

I seems that my car will not establish a connection with the charge points ... the Fast charge point at Four Rivers Retail part attempted to connect about 15 times and then disconnected after 10 seconds with an error saying the session was stopped by the vehicle. The AC plug on the same box gave the same error. Another Leaf driver pulled in beside me and he had no issue.

I then tried the two fast chargers at the Circle K on the M9 at Kilcullen - the older charge point gave the same error and the newer type charging station didn't even indicate that it was plugged in to a car.

I then managed to get to the new EasyGo fast charger at the Starbucks in Naas .. again it initiated the process and then gave an ERR 5 code on the charge point - Which I think means that it failed to establish a connection with the car.

There is a small 7kw EasyGo charge point beside that and I was able to use my own cable and EAsyGo fob to get enough juice over a couple of hours to limp back home.

Last night I plugged in to my home wall box - no issue and tried my Father in law's wall box - no issue.

I have booked the car in to the Nissan dealer for late next week - I just can't get there any sooner ....

So ... if anyone has come across this before I love any advice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

I suggest you bring it to a Nissan Dealer with an on site ChaDeMo charger such as Swords. It might be a ChaDeMo issue. I would also try a slow ESB charge point to see if you can charge there, if not it may still be an account issues. Try start the charge with the app and with the card. In the past lots of chargers have issues reading cards. Sometimes starting using the app does not work. You could also try the app without logging in until it gets to the one time pay screen and try a different credit card. I suggest starting your own thread here and put more details of car and mileage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Nissan can check the diagnostics on the car but might not be able to help you much if it is only an issue with charging on ESB and EasyGo points on both AC and DC. It seems to be that it is a problem with your ecars ESB account or card rather than the car since you can charge fine on AC at home. Being able to charge DC at a Nissan dealer will confirm it is an ESB issue. Just ring them, and try a different card plus the app as previous poster suggested. You could also try initiating a charge on someone elses car at the charging point to see if it works. Also make sure to press the scheduler bypass button for AC charging just in case (bottom right of dash area near your right knee).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deep retro fitting has a very poor payback period. I don’t see much benefit in retrofitting an old house whose layout doesn’t suit modern living. Better off just knocking and rebuilding. Especially in council areas that have disproportionately long gardens. Great opportunity to Incease density

True, but we need to do something about all the old houses around Ireland that are poorly insulated

I agree for a lot of old council houses a demolition and rebuild would make more logical sense. Deep retrofit is probably better suited to individual homes

The problem is the current (or past) governments doesn't seem interested in this and would prefer to sell the land to a private developer and then buy some of the houses back at an extortionate price

I'd much rather see the council's developing land themselves and selling some houses to cover the cost of building while using others for social housing. I think there was a report a couple of years back saying this makes more sense in Dublin and a few other cities than the current strategy

There's also the fact that a lot of older council houses were bought by the occupier. They might not be interested in selling their home anytime soon

@whippet

I described a very similar issue I am having at my work chargers.

Old one working fine, but tried 3 newer chargers, which are same design as old one, but they disconnect after less than a minute. They do start charging.

My Leaf is gen 1.5, 2014.

Found a very interesting video on V2G technology

Possibly something we're going to see more of shortly

There seems to be 2 types of V2G being talked about

One seem to be selling power to the grid at peak demand times, a lot like a FIT for solar

Other one here seems to be more focused on grid balancing. Customers are paid a fixed amount to be plugged in at certain times and the charging equipment will detect grid imbalances and either charge or discharge the car accordingly

In general people seem more comfortable with the first type, especially if you're getting a decent feed in rate for power. Something like 40c/kWh would be great. You could sell 10kWh to the grid when you get home and that would pay for a full charge that night

• Advertisement

Advertisement