Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

It's not always about saving money when importing a car from the UK, a lot of spec cars aren't for sale here in Ireland, or certain features you can't get. For example, I'm looking for a very specific spec'ed Ford focus, I want the HUD and heated steering wheel included. Chances of finding one of those in Ireland is very slim. Unless you spec it brand new for ~€30k from a dealer.

One look on AutoTrader in the UK and I can find nearly a hundred, priced around £18,000, then it costs nearly €8,000 in fee's to import the thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Similar, I've been on the lookout for a post 2014 BMW 120i/preferably 125i and I haven't seen one for sale on the island in the past 18 months. Had almost purchased in dec 20 from UK but pre check found a couple of things. Now, you're looking at over €30k with the extra charges on a €20k car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I have found a 08 1 series 123d Coupe for sale up North. When I input the data to online Revenue VRT Calculator I am getting a figure of 5200 euros vrt & reg - does that sound correct? Sounds wrong. I thought I was getting much lower last minth

Car - 08 1 series 123d Coupe

N0x - 0.25g / km ( according to bmw ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Absolutely pointless importing a car with such high Nox. If it was petrol the VRT would probably be under a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Has anyone experience of bringing in a cheapish petrol car ? I'm looking at picking up a 02/03 Mini Cooper S in the UK and clearing it here. Am I right in thinking:

Price= VRT+NOX+ (23%Purchase price+VRT/NOX+Travel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well they'd be

uk cost plus 10% plus vrt plus nox plus delivery costs plus margin

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Not on the mini....nearly sure its made in uk

Are all the Mini parts made in the UK? I thought a certain percentage of the components had to be UK made to avoid import duty?

Open to correction on this but is it not where it rolls of the assembly line..

• Advertisement

I think it needs to contain at least 60% of UK built parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep,well I know there's a defined percentage. 60% sounds about right.

My brother works in car manufacting over there. In strategy side. Said it's absolutely painful ensuring and proving the percentage has been achieved in new vehicles. Down to the bolts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Can anyone double check my maths here on a VRT calculation?

2013 Panamera, 96000 Miles, Diesel. Coming from the North.

Taking emissions figures from here. Not sure how reliable that is, but we'll run with it.

Now the Co2 thing confuses me a bit. I'm assuming the figure in that link is NEDC and needs the revenue calculation applied to make it WLTP.

So 172g/km becomes (172x1.1405) + 12.858 = 209.024g/km. So 37% of OMSP, which I have no doubt revenue will believe is high, so I'm estimating €38,000.

So that's a Co2 charge of €14,060.

NOx emissions 146mg/km. €5 per mg for the first 40mg is €200. €15 per mg for the next 40mg is €600. €25 per mg on the remainder is 66 x 25 = €1650.

Total NOx charge is €2450.

Total VRT applicable therefore is €16,510

Am I way off here or is that roughly how revenue would assess it? Even if the Co2 figure in the link is WLTP that drops the valuation to 31% OMSP giving a Co2 charge of €11,780 and a total VRT applicable of €14,230.

Cannot help you with the maths but as that's a mainland UK reg make sure that there is evidence that the car was brought into NI from mainland UK before 1st Jan 2021 or is registered in NI otherwise you will be liable for 10% customs duty on top of all the other taxes.

Thanks, that seems to be the first thing that needs to be established with any NI purchase going forward.

Not that it matters if my calculations are correct, it would be madness to spend in excess of 50% of the purchase price on VRT alone.

Why don’t you just use the free VRT calculator?

VRT calculator does not work for "prestige" marques. Have a look for yourself, no Panameras on it.

Ah okay. I assumed a Panamera would be on it as they aren’t too prestige.. Have you considered the plug in hybrid version? VRT would be dirt cheap on one of those. It wouldn’t be any more than €3k? (€40k x 7%)?

Yes but it doesn't suit my commute which is all motorway. I'd rather a petrol hybrid to be honest but the diesel makes more sense for me.

Nice car and a nice problem to have.....

• Advertisement

All pie in the sky until I buy one! Think I'll have to stick local, importing with those VRT costs is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

7 MONTHS later and revenue finally amended my co2 emissions and basis of assessment to match that what is on the on the certificate of conformity. (Received for free from volvo)

my Nox emissions where also amended.

Im now on WLTP motor tax and not NEDC.

Nox and VRT refunded by cheque of circa €1000

appalling service by them. Never again want to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Hi, I am looking at a 2015 dmax in the Uk, was wondering has anyone imported a crewcab from the uk since Brexit, what sort of extra costs are involved since brexit ? Nox, 10% customs ? Do you have to play vat on this side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Hi folks, I am looking at a plug in hybrid in Northern Ireland. I think I have this correct, but would appreciate a sanity check.

The car was registered in the North in 2018. This means the overall cost (minus travel expenses and conversion to pounds

etc.) will be: Overall Cost = Car Price + (VRT + Nox)

My understanding is the 10% customs and 23% vat do not apply.

For registration of VRT, I need:

To register a certificate of conformity with Revenue.

Proof of sale etc.

V5C (logbook)

Finally, I plan on test driving the car, and having a pre-purchase inspection completed, as well as some online (Motor-check or similar) checks.

Is there anything else I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Get a complete service history incl receipts if possible, not just a stamped book. If the V5-C has the Nox displayed in box V3, and the current address is clearly in N.I., AFAIK you wont even need the COC or the bill of sale. Just make sure you get the complete form with all pages. The online checks will tell you a lot re. mileage, MOT advisories, insurance write-off status etc. If its a Totota or Lexus, (or any other one that does it) make sure the hybrid system warranty is in date.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Thanks Tom - Its a VW Passat GTE, with 60k miles on the clock. So, that gives me 40K miles & and a good few years of Hybrid Battery warrant (Its 100K miles, 8 years) . That was a concern of mine, and part of the reason for going to NI (as well as spec). Ill ask for those other items you mentioned.

Are the costs mentioned above correct? Im 99% sure :)

Also, you seem to know a bit about it, am I right in saying that any warranty offered by a Trade seller in NI, is useless in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭sligopaul

If you do some leg work there are still some options in NI , i recently purchased a runaround for my wife , car was on UK plates but registered in North mid 2020, had all documentation and had good history . Purchased and VRTed 3 days later at the estimated VRT and Nox values , VRT process took 20 mins and reckon saved approx 1500-2000 on comparable car here

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

EDIT: Sorted

Post edited by BrandonBay86 on

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Is there much of a difference now between cars here and in Northern Ireland plus vrt?

im looking at Audi A6s

doesn’t seem to be much savings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Whether a warranty offered by a NI trade seller is of value in ROI is a matter of warranty type and negotiation. If the warranty is one of the insurance types suxh as Mapfre, it boils down to the Ts & Cs. If its a seller who would do the work themselves, then you'd either have to go back (which may be workable) or they may have a ROI colleague who'll do work on their behalf. Worth exploring IMO. Check with VW that an original 8yr/100k from UK is actually honoured here.

Advertisement