Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just watched the MK Dons highlights there, Parrott was actually involved in all three of their goals. He seems to be really relishing his role as a deep lying attacker in a ball playing team. I know the League 1 level isn't great, but these performances should give him a good platform for another go in the Championship next year.

It's just unfortunate that we don't seem to play in a team that maximises his strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah Dons fans are raving about him and the only real criticism they have of him is he's too deep too often and doesn't get into the box often enough. Especially one or two games were he was the only striker they had playing.

Hopefully they get promoted this season because how they play is really suiting Parrott. They've upped it another level since Martin left for Swansea, and Manning is of the same mould but his team is more decisive in attack.

Shows how neglected Irish football has been for years when we're watching the lower tiers of English football on a Tuesday night and Sebastian Thill is scoring the winner at the Bernabéu. Even Canada has a handful of players playing European football this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Paul McGrath talking absolute sense. Interview to be aired on 2FM Game On tonight.

"I can understand Stephen trying to play the kind of football he wants, to catch up the rest of Europe, but I just don’t see why we should abandon other options.

"If you can’t play out, and you are getting caught every time you try and play out, I genuinely think as an ex-footballer, you have to have a second option.

"You have to have that ball over the top. You have to have someone reading what you are going to do so we can chase it.

"You can’t just keep playing football in the middle of the pitch, making nice arcs and circles. I think you have to put the ball into the box if you want to score goals. Goals are what we are lacking at the moment."

"When I watched the Portugal and Serbia games, the football that the lads played, in midfield and playing out from the back, they really are good players, but I have to say, it’s my belief that Stephen might not be the person to take us on to that level where we are starting to win things again."

"I like Stephen, I love what he done with Dundalk, but there is something about Stephen in his way with the team at the moment, I don’t think he is going to change just because we are losing or drawing most games.

"I think we do need to change. If we are losing games, we need to go to something else to try and win."

"I think he has a tough job. Maybe some of the players aren’t as good as players we have had in the past, and I understand every country goes through that, but it would be nice to get a couple of wins and I hope Stephen does.

"Maybe he will prove me wrong."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we do see bits of that 'second option' playing out though, where we pull teams in and then play up quickly into the channels into open spaces. All the real problems for me come in the final third, where we've done all the hard work to get into dangerous areas, and just fluff our lines over and over and over again. McGrath mentions putting the ball into the box - sure we've been doing nothing but putting the ball into the box. The 'second option' should imo instead refer to finding a different type of threat other than putting it into the box, so the opposition has more to think about than just getting a head on things.

I don't disagree with the assertion that Kenny mightn't be the guy to go to that next step though. I wouldn't at all have a problem with bringing in a new man if we still keep suffering from these same faults in the final third (and if someone good was available and affordable obviously) - as long as that someone builds on the good stuff that's there and works to add goals to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

" Maybe some of the players aren’t as good as players we have had in the past"

Must be the understatement of the century. I'm sure Paul McGrath means well but his sentiment is deeply unhelpful when he's willing to overlook the multiple giant pink elephants in the room in terms of the lack of goalscoring options at club level and the general financial situation of the FAI making it difficult to afford the kind of experienced replacement I'm sure he's thinking of.

Thankfully the vast majority of the public seem to have the patience to give the Kenny project more time.

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/kenny-poll-survey-1258466

Squad out, call up for Will Keane, no Scully. No McCarthy either, I'd say that is it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Very harsh on Scully that Will Keane called up ahead of him.

Keane playing more of a ten than nine this season, but also Horgan and Ogbene getting in ahead of Scully whose scoring goals at the same level.

I haven't seen Wigan play this season but Parrott is playing good stuff as the 10 for MK Dons so unless Keane is bossing defences I don't see the point of his call up.

Stevens, McClean, and Manning is another weird one unless he's viewing Manning as a CB for the Qatar game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will Keane is a strange one, an England hold-out. I thought we were determined to leave that stuff behind.

Committing at 28 sits badly with me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya Keane is a very odd call up. He's behind Idah, Connolly, Robinson, Parrott and maybe even Collins in terms of their game time etc under SK. Just don't really see what he adds. I'm assuming not having Scully ahead of Horgan is a loyalty thing. I'd imagine he'll be in after this qualifying campaign if SK stays on.

• Advertisement

Technically he switched a couple of years ago under Mick. Think O'Neill looked at him but the lad was too inconsistent with injuries and poor form.

Haven't seen Keane play but he's playing as a ten and unless his hold up play has been good it does seem strange. Wigan have been playing 4-2-3-1 unless he's looking at changing formation for Qatar. Would love to be proved wrong by Keane actually playing well.

Horgan has been decent off the bench before but was poor recently. Do think it's more loyalty that he'll be in ahead of someone actually scoring goals and starting at the same level.

Kenny doesn't seem to rate Clark too much, despite him being one of the few semi regular Premier League players that we have.

The Horgan inclusion is another questionable decision given how he's not even a regular at League 1 level.

Ogbene doesn't seem to have done much to merit inclusion either. Seems like we have two or three better options there.

I know we lack strikers, but I really don't see what Collins brings, I think I would even preferred to have seen Long included instead.

I know Arter is there because he's seen as cover for Cullen. But surely the likes of a Jack Taylor would be a better bet at this stage?

I know our options are poor, but I am not convinced we are making the best of a bad lot.

Clark played himself out of the squad imo in that game against Serbia back in March. Was the worst of the back three that contained Coleman and O'Shea who was playing centrally. Only position he'll play is LCB and don't think he's that good either with the ball at he's feet for Kenny's liken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ogbene has genuine pace, something that we lack apart from him really.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with Clark not being in, he's error prone and let's be honest he gets some games at Newcastle because they've a very poor squad which lacks an real investment. Duffy, Omobamidele, Egan, O'Shea and Collins all easily ahead of him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We could do without Will Keane,

Any minutes he gets would be likely better used for some of the young lads who really want to be there ,

Its not like he is going to be better than any of them,

Anyone hear anything on Brady any sign of nay club surely he cant be finished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Will Keane will be this generations Paul Butler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It seems a disappointing squad on paper but hard to know what else I was expecting. Arter getting picked again just seems strange. I know people are saying he is cover for Cullen but he isn't even a true holding midfielder. Lots of other younger players who I'd rather have seen included in his place.

McCarthy out again and at this point I'm not sure if we will see him in an Ireland Jersey again. Hopefully we do as he would be a better backup than Arter.

Will Keane a bizarre one, initial reaction is what are we doing calling up a 28 year old from League 1 who was initially holding out for England. But I've never really seen the lad play so don't want to be too unfair to the lad, however I won't hold my breathe.

Scully surely feels very hard done by not getting a call up having probably scored as many goals as the rest of the forward options combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Will be interesting to see how McCarthy does tonight facing an in form Bayer Leverkusen side in Europe.

Yeah unfortunately for Kilkenny Lerma, Pearson, and Billing can all play six so he finds himself out of match day squads even. Parker gave an interview and talked about it and didn't rule out that Kilkenny could go on loan in January if he doesn't get game time between now and then.

Name checked Connor Ronan too in his interview so wouldn't be surprised if we see him called up this season. Not sure why Jack Taylor couldn't have been called up though. We'll probably end up going 3-4-3 with Hendrick and Cullen in midfield and Idah being supported by Robinson and Connolly against Azerbaijan. Taylor could have played in the Qatar game over Arter IMO.

Not too pushed about the Will Keane call up because it's better than seeing Long, Maguire, or Hogan in another squad. Offers something different with his possible hold up play in the role that Idah plays and a better ariel threat than others if leading the line. Bit disappointed with Scully not making the squad, but more miffed at Kenny's comment on Scully, "Obviously Anthony Scully's banging in goals for Lincoln and doing okay". Don't know how you can say banging in goals and doing okay in the same sentence regarding an Irish player.

Only on the bench. Wonder if he was even considered for selection by Kenny or if McCarthy has more or less stepped away from international football for awhile.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I used to dream of Will Keane playing for us back when he won United's Jimmy Murphy YPOTY award. He looked like the second coming of Teddy Sheringham. If I recall correctly, his brother Michael was with our youth set-up at the time. Fast forward a decade or so and Michael turned out the better of the two and switched to England, with Will doing the opposite. Strange turn of events.

I think his Ireland career is over. You have to remember McCarthy has been playing senior football since he was 16. He's going 31 next month and has put a lot of mileage into his legs playing at a high level. It's not surprising that he's susceptible to the type of injuries he's been getting recently. He had that scare just last week for Celtic where he went off with a knock at half time. It seems increasingly apparent he'll struggle to get through an entire season at club level, let alone have internationals thrown in on top of that.

We are now ridiculously reliant on Cullen and it's worrying that Kenny sees Arter as his back-up. Given that Arter is a player very much in the same career trajectory as McCarthy, I am really struggling to see why Taylor wasn't at least brought into the fold.

Yeah Michael played a couple of games at U17 and U19 but switched to England at 18. Will was always the more highly rated but had two or three serious knee injuries that hampered his career at a young age.

Don't think he really sees Arter as Cullen's replacement. More gets in when other players aren't available. Browne and Molumby this window, Knight and Browne originally last window. The summer friendlies were his first call up since Kenny's first said. But do agree with you on Taylor. Would have probably went on the summer tour only for injury too.

There's more than enough in Cullen, Hendrick, Knight, McGrath, and Hourihane for Azerbaijan that Taylor could have been called up over Arter.

• Advertisement

Kenny's interview this afternoon helped explain the Keane call up a bit more. Makes a bit of sense from how he described his game. Might actually offer us something different. I'll reserve judgement.

Makes sense on paper, and if he's a threat in the air it's a plus for us with the amount of crosses we try to get into the box. Idah a couple of times last month put a few chances wide from crosses with poor headers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What did he say? Did it sound like he'll be playing as an attacking midfielder in a 3, or a second-striker in a 2-up?

He said he was a good hold up player, could head the ball. Sounded like he seems him as a lead striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Will Keane is a backup to Idah as a tall link player who's good in the air alongside James Collins. We don't have many who can fill that role so it's smart to get him involved, I don't really see him getting many caps but you never know.

Two squads named because of travel issues for the Montenegro game.

Edit:

From the FAI website.

"With Montenegro on the UK and German red list, current Covid-19 travel restrictions could see Ireland travel to Podgorica with a home-based squad. Montenegro is currently not on Ireland’s red list. 

Under the current guidelines in Britain and Germany, any UK or German based Ireland Under-21 player would be forced to undergo a period in quarantine before returning to their clubs if they travel to Montenegro for the second game of this international window.

FIFA, the Premier League and the English Football League have appealed to the UK Government to relax these rules for professional footballers on international duty this month and the FAI is working closely with their colleagues at The FA on this developing story.

As the FAI awaits a possible ruling in the UK, Ireland Under-21 manager Crawford has named his squad for Luxembourg and the extended squad for Montenegro with 13 home-based players called up for the first time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

McNulty not in the squad, but possibly not relating to this (possibly to do with Covid red-list)?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anselmo-garcia-mcnulty-happy-to-continue-international-career-with-ireland-40902252.html

Who knows if McNulty will turn out to be any good, but if so I would expect him to declare for Spain. And I like that he is upfront about it. Question now is whether he is considered for us going forward? Damned if we do and damned if we don't

Lad will find it hard to get into the Irish team never the Spanish team. Omobamidele, O'Shea, and Collins will all probably be Premier League players for years to come.

Wouldn't read too much into the comments either. He's Spanish born and raised talking with Spanish media. Johanssons agent was talking to Swedish media about him playing with Sweden. Johansson himself supposedly said, "I received my Swedish passport. It feels good. And I decided to play for the Swedish national team. I think that's the right decision. My dream is to play in a big tournament, preferably at a World Cup. I also like the style of the Swedish national team", when speaking to media in Luxembourg.

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/2020/07/07/johansson-speaks-about-declaring-for-sweden/

• Advertisement

Ryan Johansson has been left out of Crawford’s squad as he feels it would be more beneficial for him to make his first appearance for Fortuna Sittard next week than sit on the bench in Luxembourg.

Anselmo Garcia-McNulty, John Joe Finn and Danny Rose will all be in Tom Mohan’s Under-19 squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He's got as much chance of playing for France as me or you. Will probably have to feature more for Barnsley before getting his first call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-middlesbrough-robbie-brady-21740821.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Brady apparently turned down a contract offer to remain at Burnley. Bet he's regretting that now, as it doesn't sound like Boro are beating his door down to sign him up.

If he hasn't got a club come January he'll find it hard to get one once the window opens. Loan signings would look more appealing than signing Brady in January at that stage.

• Advertisement

Hendrick on and scores within five. Good hit but keeper was half injured while also trying to save it scrambling back.

Irish connection linking up well at MK Dons. Peter Kioso goal assited by Parrott. Twine corner into the box and Parrotts header finds Kioso who scores. Came from a corner that came about from the keeper pulling off a great save from a Kioso shot from distance.

Edit:

Sam Szmodics has two goals already today against Bristol City.

Is that the first Irish goal in the Premier League this season?

Duffy scored for Brighton. Probably only the second goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement