Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

......are you suggesting that the only connection between the 11th Night bonfires and the 12th of July parading is that there may be some crossover of some people?!?

Come on now, let's not go down the road of absolutely shame-faced b*llocksology

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is a lie.

You put inverted commas on a single word - "Unionists" - rather than on the complete phrase you were quoting - "part of the culture of unionists". You also capitalised the word "unionists".

Once again, you were labelling the other, in an attempt to disparage them. It is a familiar debating tactic, often used, but easily spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I doubt anyone is celebrating a military victory. It’s everything else you mention but it’s more about a chance to connect with your community and enjoy and feel pride in the level of skill on display

• Advertisement

Yeah crazy times. These were also the times catholics couldn’t use a condom and people were murdering each other because of religion. Thank god we’ve moved on. And thank god the rules changed on condoms or we might be staring a United ireland in the face 😂

So what exactly do you think the connection is?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Amazing how you can pull one poster up for some quotation marks you've taken offence to, yet another is wilfully misspelling names and mocking other names, specifically irish sounding names. I don't see you calling that poster out.

I can guess that is directed at me but maybe you could name me so as I can report you.

I assure you I am not spelling names wrong on purpose. Do you realise just how difficult it is for non Irish people to pronounce or spell your language.

when I am reply to people with Irish names on email I find I copy and paste their name to respect them by trying to get there name correct.

I had an email yesterday from Caoimhe.

Is this some pedantic attempt to evade the question?

'Unionist' is a label, as is 'Republican', 'Partitionist' etc.

• Advertisement

Not at all, you could interpret it that I am more likely to give a free pass to ignorance than to malevolence. But that is just another opinion on why I picked that one out.

No, you said you used inverted commas because you were quoting me, now you say you are using them as a label. Make up your mind.

I am leaving it there as it is too easy to be dragged down irrelevant rabbit-holes with you.

WTF?

I was referencing Unionists who are other to the Orange Order whose culture celebrates the 12th of July.

There are many Unionists who don't celebrate the 12th. And as data shows the Orange Order is diminishing in membership.

Try answering my question with an answer for once, Downcow. I'm still waiting for the map that you promised after one of your forty questions sessions last time, so you'll excuse me if I wait for that before I get drawn into another long winded evasion.

I'll ask again, are you suggesting that the ONLY connection between the 11th Night and the parading on the 12th is that there is a crossover in attendance? The two events don't have any other connection at all?! A simple yes or no will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No difference between email and writing on a forum. You also have the benefit of being able to google them.

Well you have two questions back to back that require different answers

the first question is a simple ‘no’

the second is more complex as it’s a bit of a double negative but I think ‘no’ is the answer there as well

Of course I do but I can’t be arsed. You will see my English is only a little better than my Irish and contains fairly ropey grammar and spelling - but I know that doesn’t upset you as much. I will try to do better in the future.

It would make more sense to avoid words you can't spell.

... or history you don't understand. But here we are. .

Ok the map was harder to find than I thought. This is not a great one below but at least it shows the catholic shops. Now you tell me honestly, are they trapped in their houses for the 7 minutes the parade takes to pass as it makes its way along this almost exclusively unionist direct arterial route into city centre. There are endless roads other than this one for residents to use for the 7 minutes And those that can be bothered, do a street view and have a look at the mainly shops that aren’t even open at the time the parade passes.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/13/3000-police-northern-irelands-marching-season

Are policing and security blockades only in place while the parade passes. From reading official reports of past parades they sometimes extend long before the parade and are required afterwards. I have no idea if thats no longer required or not.

I think the more important issue is are they a catalyst for trouble.

• Advertisement

So when you said

So we were having a discussion about parades and you now feel you want to include bonfires, just because there may be a crossover of some people

You were being entirely disingenuous; the reason one might discuss the 11th Night along with the 12th Parades isn't just because there may be a crossover of some people.

More disingenuous debate; if you had said the, 'map' you were going to provide was a zoomed out one lacking in detail, which actually DOES show that people were blocked in by the parading (but not for long enough to matter according to you), while pretending that the bunch of hangers on just teleport out of there and the disruption only lasts seven minutes....and then ultimately you were going to tell me to go on street view and look it up myself.....well I'd say that's a pretty sh*tty standard of evidence and would've told you not to bother wasting your time.

Even then, your own awful evidence demonstrates an entire cul de sac area which has two roads by which one could enter and exit....both blocked by your parade. It's bloody hilarious when you go to all that effort to prove my point for me. Please do tell me which of the endless roads one could use to get out of the Mountainview area which would bypass your parade?

It’s not worth the effort with you. It’s you are claiming people are “trapped in their houses”. Absolute bull. It’s up to you to prove it. Asking me to prove they are not is like asking someone to prove god doesn’t exist. And where did I imply that they were trapped in their hoses for 7 minutes I said the parade takes 7 minutes to pass.

You are absolutely correct flinty. I am not sure of current status of this parade but a few years ago the blockade went in maybe an hour before the parade. During the blockade both unionist and nationalist residents of the area had one of the many roads that surround them blocked. Each was slightly inconvenienced by the codology. Each no doubt felt the blockade was because of the others intransigence. And to some extent it was. If there was a little bit of tolerance of each other then no security operation would have been required

I didn't initially ASK you for the map, Downcow....you made the claim that if I named an area you could provide a map showing that people weren't trapped in their homes. You followed up with a claim that there were, 'endless other roads' residents could use. All I asked was for you to actually follow through on your promises for once.

I've claimed that people were trapped in their homes, you provided a map (which you claimed would show this is wrong) which actually demonstrates where people are trapped.....so I'll ask again, if one lived in the Mountainview area, which has two access roads, both of which are along the parade route, can you point to one of the ENDLESS roads they can use to get out of their homes?

As I said, f*ckin' hilarious when your evidence demonstrates precisely the opposite of what you claim and does my job for me.

I'll show you the exact area I'm talking about.....which of the endless roads can these people take to bypass the parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Are the readers of the thread getting a dose of what our people have been putting up with in the north for the last hundred years? Only it was much much worse until Drumcree when these people were brought to heel.

The official report I read the security started at 5.30 am or so. Due to constant flare ups during the day the policing didn't really stop till about 10pm or so. They would leave then have to come back. Was quite a while ago.

You can Google this stuff these days. Hard to bluff anymore. Even if you don't know the history (or spelling) simple to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It would be much easier to differentiate the parades from the bonfires if there was any attempt to differentiate them by the Unionist community. For example, can you name any Unionist political or community or bandsmen represenative in your apparent exemplar of community relations (Kilkeel) who, for example, has openly stated that the burning of effigies and flags on bonfires is entirely alien to Protestant culture and should be treated as such ?

I can easily, openly, and without the slightest bit of hesitation say that the attack on an elderly man's house is contemptible, loathsome, criminal, and deplorable. Will you be so willing to admit that the bonfires in which Irish flags and effigies are burned are a sectarian, bigoted, hateful display of utter thuggery and ignorance by the simpletons who engage in it ?

And if you can easily state that, then why is it so hard for those who you would have us believe are capable of differentiating the parades and the bonfires to state it?

The bonfires are a particular bugbear of mine. 20+ years ago they were mostly small community affairs (we had a small one on waste ground at the top of our small terraced street when I was young, there were no flags or effigies burnt on it). Now though they are a monstrous size, deliberately done so to mark territory much in the same way as an animal spreads scent to mark its territory. For those that don't know, the tradition comes from when fires were lit to celebrate the arrival (and allegedly to light the path though I'm not sure how true that is) of William of Orange. So the current structures several times higher than houses are not traditional in any way. If they must be done, they should have a height limit and there should be a certificate system to allow them. And as always, that goes for both sides.

So we are not talking "trapped in homes" then? You are referring to people who can't access the main road due to a security operation being in place because people don't want the other culture passing down the main road. Until there was republican agitation, this parade took 7 minutes and only used one side of the road allowing free movement in and out of that area at all times. It is not the parade that prevents people coming and going from that area of town.

One of the few places i remember people being blocked in their homes was loyalists during the holy cross dispute - but even they were not blocked in their homes as they could access their back doors freely. and of course, like the Ardoyne folk, if they had not tried to prevent people from the other community travelling along their road then they would not have had any problems.

• Advertisement

Always someone else's fault.....of course the people are trapped in because they complained about the parade, not because a bunch of outdated triumphalist nonsense is being paraded up and down the street. We should all go back to letting the Orange do whatever they want, lie down Croppies, we own the place?

Put it this way, Downcow.....if I'm living in the Mountainview estate highlighted and take a heart attack, can an ambulance take me to a hospital? If a fire breaks out, can the fire brigade get there to put it out?

And once more, can you point out any of the endless roads you claimed they can take to avoid the parade?

Advertisement