Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve got letter to say smart meter being installed in coming weeks. We have a regular meter now and EV won’t arrive before end of July Id say. I know day night tariffs are currently better than smart. Im not sure what to do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

fits wrote: »
    I’ve got letter to say smart meter being installed in coming weeks. We have a regular meter now and EV won’t arrive before end of July Id say. I know day night tariffs are currently better than smart. Im not sure what to do.

Request a switch to a day night one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

graememk wrote: »
    Request a switch to a day night one now.

Yes this is exactly what you should do. You can always request to switch to a smart meter later when the smart tariffs offer better value for EV charging.

Really ? I didn't know that ? is there anywhere to say what the difference is ?

I do know smart meters are there so they can eventually have multiple tariffs so it will be cheaper for instance when there's more green energy on the grid and screw us when it's mostly Gas powering the grid.

But you have the absolute Legal right to refuse the installation of a smart meter if you don't want one.

We got notification that our contract with Energia is almost up and they want to screw us again, day rate is 17.5 cent and night is 6.5 cent, anyone offering close to this or better now ?

Last time I cancelled and set up in the Missus name but not sure if I'll get away with putting it back in my name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We got notification that our contract with Energia is almost up and they want to screw us again, day rate is 17.5 cent and night is 6.5 cent, anyone offering close to this or better now ?

Last time I cancelled and set up in the Missus name but not sure if I'll get away with putting it back in my name.

Just tell them that was a different Mad lad before :D

Energia and Bord gais were cheapest last I checked. Energia have a decent plan for EVs, 5.33c night rate, just tell them you have an EV and they should offer you the plan

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

i was on something like a 36% discount with Energia that was up at the start of June. I went onto bonkers to see what the market was like and they offered me a bonkers exclusive renewal with Energia that was 41% off.

Worth trying that avenue, as they were certainly the cheapest of the bunch and the renewal was very easy.

Just tell them that was a different Mad lad before :D

Energia and Bord gais were cheapest last I checked. Energia have a decent plan for EVs, 5.33c night rate, just tell them you have an EV and they should offer you the plan

lol "different Mad_Lad" I like that. :D

5.33 c is good. I'm still not sure about airtricity and the 600 odd payment to id owners that's around 3 months leccy for us even with a lot of work charging. Hopefully the id.3 will cut down on home usage a lot more with around 50 Kwh more storage :eek: on the work site with 11 Kw that would see maybe 2 days driving for free. The other site has only 3 pin so best I get out of that is maybe 16 kwh, still free so can't complain but the site owners won't install proper charge points unless my company wants to strange because out other site they installed proper charge points and are not billing us for the electricity.

Just don't know what to do with airtricity and the id offer ? their rates are a lot higher than 5.33 cent per kwh night.

lol "different Mad_Lad" I like that. :D

5.33 c is good. I'm still not sure about airtricity and the 600 odd payment to id owners that's around 3 months leccy for us even with a lot of work charging. Hopefully the id.3 will cut down on home usage a lot more with around 50 Kwh more storage :eek: on the work site with 11 Kw that would see maybe 2 days driving for free. The other site has only 3 pin so best I get out of that is maybe 16 kwh, still free so can't complain but the site owners won't install proper charge points unless my company wants to strange because out other site they installed proper charge points and are not billing us for the electricity.

Just don't know what to do with airtricity and the id offer ? their rates are a lot higher than 5.33 cent per kwh night.

You can always sign up with who's cheapest now and break contract later if the Airtricity & ID offer looks good

If the savings are over €50 then it's worthwile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So just out of contract with Energia so phoned them up. Christ they make it difficult to see your rates

DAY 17.34 NIGHT 8.21 is/was the rate I was on.

As I'm out of contract I go to undiscounted rates

DAY 29.39 NIGHT 14.10

Best I could get is the EV rate of

DAY 20.28 NIGHT 5.84 ( that's what they are today).

But as my contract expired in current billing period (and as they can't tell what my meter reading is) they have to apply my "current" discounted rate until end of next billing period......LOL, joys of not having a Smart Meter.

Few more phone calls but looks like moving to Energia EV rate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My understanding is that when you switch you provide your current readings and that is then used for your balancing payment with your old provider and where your new provider starts off. Thats how it has worked for me in the past and I change every year.

You should also run the numbers for Electric Ireland... 16.32/8.06 for day/night inc vat which is cheaper than what you have right now.

I use 65% night rate and the Energia EV plan and the Electric Ireland plan work out at the same price for the year for me. Since you are with Energia already it might just be easier to stick with them though and just make sure you are limiting that daytime usage at 20c/unit! ;)

And watch Airtricities rate, they are going up next week.

So the maths are done so for the benefit of others..

Usage is

DAY 1,849kW

NIGHT 7,325kW

Day is relatively low due to PV panels where I consume around 4,530kW of self generated electricity all during the day

DAY will cost me €375

NIGHT will cost me €427

Standing charge will cost me €259

Total estimated annual cost of €1,062

This assumes I do not breach the Energia clause where above 3,000kwh day usage and 2,000kwh night usage every two months there's a hike in rates.

This assumes no rate change

Nearest cost rivals were the EI + €89 and Energia Retention +€127

To get the EV rate you just tell them you've an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Nice. My usage for the last year (very little driving of the EV) was 2147 day and 2911 night. But I use gas for central heating and hot water. So I went with Bord Gais as despite all the price rises I am on 18c/9c for electricity but only 3.84c for gas.

Be very careful about what they say regarding being out of contract. They could ding you at full rate using some "estimated usage". Would just give them the current read and switch yourself over. You are not using much day rate electricity right now anyway.

I covered the "estimated usage" by telling them I've used no electricity for the out of contract period due to PV, let them prove it otherwise

#NOSMARTMETER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

"To get the EV rate you just tell them you've an EV"

Do you know, does that apply even if you do not have a smart meter but do have a day/night meter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭10-10-20

All I have is day/night meter, no issue whatsoever signing up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I was already with Energia so did it over the phone

I don't think so, neither of them advertise the rate on their sites

Like others, I was already with energia so I signed up when renewing the contract for the year

• Advertisement

It's a good thing the government is introducing a market rate FIT as well as grants for solar PV and battery installations to protect homeowners from these energy price increases and help remove carbon emissions from the grid

Oh wait, sorry I forgot the difference between dreams and reality again 😅

Instead the Green party leader is extending the life of our only coal fired power plant

You couldn't make this stuff up 🙄

I heard Eamon Ryan stammering on radio one this morning as he stumbles to say what he's going to do about the electricity shortage and he said they will bring back online the gas plants they took offline as they took them off because they probably thought wind was enough. But stressed it's temporary lol. I was loving it, greens with their green bullshit back in your face Ryan!

They were on again talking about data centres, why are they more and more pronouncing it as day-ta instead of da ta ? lol why do People have to talk more and more like yanks ? anyway, I'm not sure Ryan is aware but the Data Centres, at least some of the larger ones have been using diesel generated electricity for years as the grid needs power to keep the power on in West Dublin they use their diesel generators to allow more power to the grid so green are data centres lol. I know Microsoft were supposed to build and use their own gas plants in Grangecastle because of their massive expansion but I don't know if that ever happened, I'd imagine you'd notice a gas electricity generating plant and lots of steam ?

I just wish they moved some of the data centres out of Dublin, it's a joke really.

Micro generation is not going to be that good because from what I read those on the same transformer will be limited to only one person being able to connect their PV for instance, and only 5500 Kwh can be exported, all not official but I read it on some farming site when I was looking for up to date info info.

I'm in the sticks but the transformer is shared between 5 or 6 houses so I'd have to be the first to get approved by the looks of it.

I would like to be able to add as much solar pv as I could to export as much as I can for the brighter months to be able to get back in the darker months, but still only allowed 5.5 Kw/p on single phase as far as I'm aware this has not changed, really is a **** country for Micro generation. I'd say they will offer 3-4 cent/Kwh too or even less, no information on that but I bet what they offer will be pittance, might as well give it away for free.

Data centre demand is massive at this point and growing very rapidly. I found this document https://www.eirgridgroup.com/site-files/library/EirGrid/Data-Centre-Connection-Offer-Process-and-Policy-Consultation-Paper.pdf which has some sobering numbers. 1300MVA installed capacity and applications in the pipeline for 1600MVA more. By contrast peak demand is currently under 6000MW so data centres are already over 20% of Ireland's electricity consumption.

The export limit on single phase is 6kWp and not 5.5. And the 5500kWh p.a. number is currently speculation.

The grid has to go green whether you like it or not. Yes there will be hiccups along the way. But rest assured that this winter's crisis has nothing to do with wind and everything to do with gas powered plants down for maintenance and data centre demand growing.

I think the biggest contribution for microgeneration is to reduce that evening peak. If every house had a 10kWh battery that would be enough to see them through the evening demand and would help smooth out the demand curve for suppliers 

Add in a decent V2G scheme for EVs and that would sort out a lot of problems. If there were 2 million EVs on the road with 50kWh batteries, that's 1TWh of energy. That's enough to power the entire country for around 2 weeks some. Tapping even a fraction of that would hugely reduce any short term grid issues

I think it's funny how everyone has known for years that there's a severe lack of energy storage in the grid and has done exactly nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I was reading an article about Tesla setting up as Electricity provider in UK, DE and TX with battery storage to smooth the usage peaks and valleys and benefiting from the price difference. It got me thinking, once the usage difference gets reduced by adding this storage does not result in smoothing the prices thus reducing the benefit?

Short answer yes, but only when a lot of people have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s some other Interesting technology out there that’s got a longer life then batteries and cheaper.

https://gravitricity.com/

On an industrial scale yes there are other solutions available. I wnder if they are as efficient as batteries. A Li-ion battery has roundtrip efficiency to AC of around 80%. And I'd be real interested in seeing how their claim of being cheaper stacks up. At $100 per kWh you are talking about $100,000 for a 1MWh capacity solution. Gravitricity claims a levelised cost of $367/MWh for Li-ion. That seems a bit low to me. Regardless we probably need a large variety of solutions.

Anyone checked out energias outrageous cost to install a paltry 2 Kw/p solar PV + 4.8 Kwh battery ?

14,000 Euro's that's just mental, just the solar alone is 8,000 Euro's that's complete and utter rip off. The solar panels and inverter alone should cost no more than around 2500 Euro's maybe 3K max. WTF ?

7.4 cent per Kwh paid I think in January, so you give them electricity all year around and they pay you only once a year lol.

I wonder would they pay you for the electricity if you install your own solar pv ? are Energia the only ones paying for micro generation ?

I think I'm still going to take airtricity's offer when I get the ID.3. not sure how it compares yet to energia ev offer 5.8 c/Kwh.

One thing for sure is that 14,000 Euro's for a poxy 2 Kw/p solar array and battery would buy and awful lot of electricity, to get me from Carlow to Dublin costs me 10 Euro's a week maybe at current price. Expensive way to save the planet if that's why most people do it, that would take years to pay back even with 7.4 cent per Kwh fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I done the sums for someone over on the renewable board, the huge cash back blows everyone out of the water, eab was working out at about 2-300 euro.

Can pm the Google sheet if you want it

Advertisement