Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

If the proposal goes through it will makes things worse on adjacent roads.

Have we not learnt this through the summer , autumn whatever you like to call it in Dunlaoghaire.

Unless there is adequate public transport you wont get people out of cars, its as simple as that.

A young relative has been using buses to get to work, he either gets a bus that gets him there an hour earlier or one that that leaves him st risk of being a few minutes late.

He is now on the lookout for a very cheap car.

Novice cyclists wont use cycle lanes either unless male entitled cycling aggression is tackled, speeding up behind others in cycling lanes and going through red lights, tearing along pavements etc, all this has to be stopped once and for all.

Its absolutely desperate to see parents taking children cycling and leading them through red lights too, you feel this problem will never be sorted when you are in your stopped car witnessing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

oh an on this, multiple means more than one, so maybe one or two strikes and then you are fined, made resit a portion of your exam something like that. Id have thought you would agree with me but you seem more interesting in engaging in an argument.

You misunderstand me i think, im not a daily motorist, i commute via walking and the dart, i tried cycling but i wasnt worth the hassle but i am not some staunch motorist the way you are a staunch cyclist.

Another factor to consider is that the world will change, probably pretty soon, autonomous cars will come and it will take driver error and breaking red lights etc completely out of the equation. I imagine in the next 15 years, i dont see my kids learning to drive to be honest. In that scenario there will have to be some formal structures around cycling. Why not start now, get ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

If you are going to impose sanction (fines or worse if unpaid) with a rigorous enforcement regime you're going to have the take the age of criminal responsibility, currently 12 into account. So you would have to impose this mandatory testing on 11 year olds if they are to cycle unaccompanied at the age of 12. Correct?

What happens if a 10 year old is caught unaccompanied? Would you put the children straight to prison for cycling unaccompanied, or maybe for first offence the Juvenile Liaison Scheme would be more appropriate?

Just interested on how you propose to develop this rigorous enforcement regime on children!

Have we not learnt this through the summer , autumn whatever you like to call it in Dunlaoghaire.

Dear god, what does that even mean?

I meant the summer, Autumn whatever you like it call it trial in Dunlaoghaire.

We were promised all sorts of activities in the Square, eg outdoor music, poetry reading etc, did the council organise anything at all.

Did they even put planting and a nice surface down.

• Advertisement

Incorrect, where did i say an 11 year old would have a mandatory test, i was pretty clear what age it was.

If a 10 year old is caught unaccompanied then its the same process if you catch a 10 year old doing something else illegal (but a relatively minor offence).

and again you are letting your bias cloud your ability to read and comprehend, the rigourous enforcement comment was more related to drivers breaking the law.

slow down, read and understand, rather than trying to make yourself look clever and failing.

Were you even down there? Doesn't seem like it. As well as the street entertainers on stilts there was a lovely clarinet music session there on Saturday, you must have missed it. Not sure about the poetry, but then I'm not there everyday.

No, couldnt cycle down it so didnt bother.

Dont drive to Dunlaoghaire anymore, used to shop in Tesco but too much hassle now, I drive down Deansgrange Road to Cornelscourt instead.

If I cant go up and down Deansgrange Road I will drive through the Hollypark housing estate to get to Kill Avenue, motorists will always find alternative routes.

where did i say an 11 year old would have a mandatory test,

You didn't, I said it. Maybe if you read the post properly, you'd see that.

If a 10 year old is caught unaccompanied then its the same process if you catch a 10 year old doing something else illegal (but a relatively minor offence).

Few questions on that:

Would you confiscate the bike and who would have responsibility? The Garda Traffic Corps or maybe a special unit would be set up.

Would all children have to carry documents to prove their age and compliance with your proposed mandatory testing?

How would you deal with a say, a 5 year old on their bike outside their house, but in a public place? Would they have to carry documents? Would you take their bike?

Just asking, I have plenty more but we'll start with these.

If you thought about it, a logical extension is that ownership of a bike would require registration of that ownership so that resolves most of your queries regarding documents, proof of age, compliance etc.

Your straw child 5 year old, are they breaking the law or not? (Remember i said public road, thats different to public place) if they are then whats the question. Is it ok to commit illegal acts near your house now?

As to confiscation and penalties etc i mean you would have to flesh all that out.

• Advertisement

Stop the nonsense.

This is about courtesy on the roads and this applies to cyclists too.

No one has a problem with children on footpaths, the problem is adult males speeding.

I saw one the other day, he couldnt be bothered waiting at the lights to get into the cycle lane on Carysfort Avenue.

He crossed the road at speed and onto the footpath and then crossed Convent Road and into the cycle lane.If an elderly person or child came around the corner and into his path they would have been injured.

This behaviour is going unchallenged and is being defended by the cycling lobby here, oh but compare speeding cyclist to the damage a car can cause, the issue is adult cyclists should not be breaking lights and they should not be on any footpaths.

Its desperate that we need the RSA to waste money by having to run a campaign to tell cyclists how to behave but it is unavoidable now.

Your straw child 5 year old, are they breaking the law or not? if they are then whats the question. Is it ok to commit illegal acts near your house now?

And you accuse Andrew (#3235) of avoiding answering questions? Really??

It seems that your knowledge of the application of the law or constitution is, limited at best, so really as it is your madcap proposal, it is up to you to flesh it out!!

I can't wait!

madcap proposal?

improving road safety for everyone and putting some structures around cyclists as road users (with the intention of protecting young cyclists) is mad cap?

Given that you have solely focused on that, am i to assume that my proposal of fining drivers for breaking red lights given we have and have had the technology to identify it happening for years is also mad cap?

you are so intent on going out of your way to disagree with me that i have to assume that is your sole intention.

I will be sure to attend your next lecture on constitutional law.

I will be sure to attend your next lecture on constitutional law.

I suggest that you start with something more basic first, like the fundamentals of criminal law. No point in diving in at the deep end.

thanks for your considered advice ill be sure to give it the consideration it warrants.

You're welcome. Pro bono advice this time.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In think we may have drifted off topic somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pat Kenny 'looks into it' every week on his show. That doesn't mean that anything is going to happen.

The 98% is from the most recent RSA Speed Survey.

The thing with cyclists is that they don't kill a few people each week, so if you're planning any clampdown on the road to improve safety, you're looking in the wrong place.

Wait till you hear about cars, TP.

If you want to protect young cyclists, get drivers to slow down, put their phones down, and overtake safely. You don't need new laws and regulations. You just need drivers to start obeying traffic laws.

• Advertisement

can you link the survey please as that doesnt tally with any that i can find.

road safety is everyones responsibility, even cyclists.

did i not say stricter enforcement on traffice offences would be desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Another day of a lively discussion on this thread

It's everyone's responsibility to keep safe when I practice my knife throwing and fire eating routine outside your kid's school at going home time, not just mine.

you like to present yourself as a smart chap andrew, i presume you know that this doesnt support your accusation that 98% of drivers break urban speed limits.

At best it would support the assertion that from a very small sample size that 98% of drivers break one urban speed limit.

As for your knife throwing and fire eating routine, it makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Actually, according to a nationwide study by the Road Safety Authority, 98% of drivers break 30kph speed limits. Over half break 50kph limits. Extracts:

The percentage of car drivers breaking the speed limit on urban roads was 52% (57% in 2016); when residential roads are excluded, this rises to 65% (71% in 2016) for all other urban national roads.

At the Urban National 30km/h location, only 3 out of the 140 cars sampled was travelling at or under the 30 km/h speed limit. At one of the Urban Residential locations, a vehicle was recorded travelling at 67km/h.

Full report:

So, I think Andrew has some good statistical backing for what he claims. Not sure about others.

Study size is 16,672 vehicles btw.

The sample size for the 30 km zone was 140 cars.

No, not all the 16,672 cars were surveyed in a 30kph zone. Sample size is naturally going to be smaller given limited scope of 30kph roads. But you can't say it's unrepresentative or that the data is being cherry picked. You're also studiously ignoring the fact that most drivers speed in urban areas.

• Advertisement

I can say that saying 98 percent of drivers break urban speed limits is not an accurate statement. Which is what I said.

Advertisement