Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

The real knife twist was hanging Covid remembrance day, (Flanagan looking for November 11th?), on it while nurses fight for recognition for their work and bank holidays mean nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Ahh I see the faux outrage crowd is up and running on twitter. Today they are complaining about a Bank Holiday. How terrible for people that working during the pandemic to get a day of holiday, can't have that now can we.

Do they actually realise how bitter they sound?

What will we have next? complaining about people working for a living, oh sorry they are already doing that daily

Someone has bought a house, can't have that, complain about them.

Seriously some people need to get out and live their own life instead of complaining about everyone else living theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you even take a glance at the dates they suggested on their survey. Completely oblivious to the suitability of St Brigid's Day. It also ties in well with the commemorating the emergence from the darkness of Covid, with growing light of Spring and the traditions of Imbolc. It allows a uniquely Irish and Feminine take to be placed on commerative activity.

Yet never seemed to dawn(pun intended) on the focus groups that floated the US Thanksgiving link and association with genocide. Then it's just dismissed by their resident here 🤦‍♂️

It is appalling optics and one that has stuck in my craw.

It’s also in 2022 and useless to a lot of people who are exhausted after nearly 18 months non stop working without any real holidays due to lock downs etc

How is having a Bank Holiday on the same weekend as Thanks giving terrible optics? We have a huge relationship with the US and a huge Irish American community.

Maybe it’s time instead of people constantly complaining and demanding what they want just wait and see what everyone else wants. I’m sure whatever day they pick people will find fault as I said already.

How does a Bank Holiday mean nothing to a nurse?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they will, but while you are looking at "Faux Outrage" people complaining about an extra BH.

There is plenty of the real kind to be assigned at the linking of a National Holiday here with one widely recognised as celebrating land expropriation, genocide and atrocities against Native Americans.

Your effort to draw an equivalence? Are naive and quite poor.

The holiday is needed, we have fewer than most other EU countries. We can surely celebrate a day that's wholly Irish such as St Brigid's Day? Or is there an issue with the Irish nation commemerating as per our own history?

Rather than appropriating a shopping day before Xmas on the basis of an appalling link to Paddwhackery, because of that's what FG are after? It's not a rest day or a bonus especially not for frontline staff whenever it falls.

There's always farmers day.

You are the only person shouting about genocide. In all my years on this earth on Thanks Giving I never heard anyone talk about genocide, FG/FF think about a bank holiday not even o Thanks Giving and suddenly we have people who are up in arms about Thanks Giving. Faux outrage alert, if it doesn’t happen on that weekend we won’t hear a mention of genocide again.

Im not drawing any equivalent, just saying no matter what day someone will have a problem.

No they don’t. But hospital never shut so you saying we should never give any holidays to nurses because it doesn’t matter?

You so realise not only nurses are front line workers

We really are on the ridiculous level now.

Perhaps you should take the opportunity to educate yourself and read up on how many NA tribes and organisations celebrate a Day of mourning rather than Thanksgiving then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've no problems in the world with an extra bank holiday, bring it on, keep them coming and plenty more too as far as I'm concerned.

It's the complete "Thanksgiving" bolloxollogy they're trying to stick on it, it's going down like a lead balloon and quite rightly, I keep saying it, FG need to keep the hell away from Social Media dudley72, they're a first-rate disaster with it.

Including on here.

• Advertisement

I've heard it debated a lot. Point is FG being tone deaf. It was FG made the Thanksgiving link. It's easily sorted no harm done but FG looking like ejits. Nothing new.

You shouldn't let what people think about things you don't find important bother you so much.

Your question was why don't they matter to nurses. Now you are shifting the goalposts. The nurse I read was saying a bank holiday means nothing to them. Point was having this covid remembrance day bank holiday means little to nurses. Meanwhile they are fighting for compensation for the work they did and are doing. So FG want to make a fun thanksgiving. As I said, morons.

Thing is Fg don't look like ejits.

We have people now trying to say Nurses don't care about Bank Holidays, never mind the fact that if they have to work they get paid extra plus all the people who get a paid vacation. Plus all of the other front line staff

Plus we now have rambling of genocide and the same people will move on next week if another weekend is picked and never mention a word about Thanks Giving again.

Very predictable faux outrage to everything.

Plus the best, people actually online complaining because people that are working get an extra holiday......I was about to say baffling, but in reality its about normal these days

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Entirely predictable and explains why Flanagan and Leo thought a national commemoration of the Black and Tans might be a cuddly idea too.

Read the room lads and lassies!

We had one nurse say they don't mean anything. Why are you trying to blow this up bigger than it is?

No rambling. It's a very common discussion regarding Thanksgiving, Columbus Day etc. etc.

If you don't believe the criticism is real why spend your time getting so upset about it?

FG look like tone deaf buffoons. I guarantee they'll drop it.

Dudley, are you and Marko a tag team?

FG have made a Bollox of what shouldn't really be all that hard to do.

Imagine telling people that they had an extra days paid holiday? And the outcome is the current state of play?

It's a FG TD and a the party itself I've seen floating the Thanksgiving date, with zero actual thought given.

As for wailing about genocide? I asked Mark but he is off elsewhere. So I'll repeat the question to you.

How long is okay before it becomes acceptable to celebrate Genocide?

I aint shifting anything. Makey uppey nurses doesn't really count you know. Nurses will get extra day off of paid holidays if not working and if working they will get extra pay. Plus the hospitals run on reduced staff as only emergencies on a Bank Holiday,. I suppose you knew all this and the makey uppey nurse did as well?

I am sure this will continue to get more & more ridiculous so will leave you to it, hilarious to watch the carry on of the few.

She commented on the FG twitter post McMurph posted. She might be lying but she's right.

You seem to believe more goes into the comments here than likely does. This is just FG making tits of themselves. It'll be added to the list.

Personally I think FF/FG/Green walking us into a possible winter of black outs is more important.

As I said one lad said he would never vote for FF/FG again because they offered an extra bank holiday. Nothing to do with Thank Giving or anything. That the level of ridiculous we are at.

How many times have you marched on the American Embassy on Thanks Giving because of the genocide? 😂

• Advertisement

1 lad on a different thread? That you didn't quote...

Much like the thought that FG put into this idea, the lack of any in your replies or even link to the example you relied on not wanting a BH?

To someone objecting to a BH on a date that is explicitly linked with a holiday associated with Racism, Land Expropriation and Genocide.

You do realize that objecting to celebrating a Yanksgiving holiday, isn't the same as objecting to a deserved needed additional BH?

Plenty of other dates available, and rather than discuss or even propose an alternative one? You just double down on a nonsensical position of support for an awfully thought idea.

But yourself and your buddy race to dismiss genocide and it's continuing impact in the US to toe the party line.

Great contribution.

Have you ever marched on the US embassy on Thanks Giving day because of this genocide?

Ok so you don’t mind about the genocide, but if someone else tries to celebrate Thanks Giving then you will care about the genocide?

Hate to tell you but all over Ireland they have Thanks Giving events, have for years.

Is this seriously the level you want to sink to?

Yanks all over Ireland are perfectly entitled to celebrate their day.

Would you propose that I take action against them? Are they enforcing celebration upon me or upon the nation for a tenuous link?

You do understand the difference between yanks celebrating a holiday? And Ireland as a Nation embracing that same holiday?

It's not really that difficult a concept to grasp you know.

Yanks celebrate Thanksgiving, a holiday tainted with racism and genocide.

Ireland does not, nor should it seriously countenance adopting or conjoining or new bank holiday with it.

What part of that are you not grasping?

Is that deliberate, or is it just actually beyond your ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is a difference(as Flanagan and Leo found out) between random members of the public celebrating and embracing something and a state recognition/alignment/commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

This budget is going to infuriate me

Full of populism, empty of action

Yup by becoming SF, they have made SF more attractive

Apart from the carbon tax increase I haven't seen a whole pile come out on the budget.

Would be interesting to hear what you would like to see in it?

So they became SF by doing all those things repeatedly before SF and having different policies to SF? Interesting analysis. I must say it trumps blaming SF for creating the housing crisis.

• Advertisement

Id like to see some plan to tackle our increasing debt.

Id don't want a derisory tax decrease, I want us to reduce our debt and spending to ultimately be in a positon to remove the temporary USC. They'll charge us more carbon tax and also some derisory tax decrease.

I am just sick of the default being to spend money on black holes rather then attempt to reform.

Advertisement