Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure how de Bruyne got away with that challenge when it felt like AWBs red card was an inevitability two weeks ago.

Would have a massive impact at a similar stage of the game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Red card any day of the week for me. I'm surprised he's still on the pitch. Not malicious in intent by any stretch of the imagination but a potential ankle/ligament breaker for sure.

Both teams playing some lovely football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

just looking at that messi goal again, off the ball runs is something utd dont seem to do.

its more into the feet and hope something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

No manager/Player experience of Pl, never played for any major club so its asking a lot for a u23 bayern coach /ajaz manager to step up to a massive club like united.

Seems hasn't great English either. reports of a poor interview for the spurs job but who knows if thats true.

Frank de Boer had far more high level background and similar success at ajax only to fail badly at inter/palace.

That said he does play attacking football which would make him a better fit then the likes of conte/zidane but its a big step for him to go to a job like united when hasnt managed or played in any of the big 4 leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Huge day for the club…. Ole has to what no Manchester United manager has ever done…. beat villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t care about performance, they just need to win. A draw isn’t a disaster but the YB result will make it feel worse. Ole said something along those lines but it seemed to trigger some sort of episode in those looking to get angry at anything he does or says.

Missing 3 of our back 4 is less then ideal, especially as they haven’t been playing great with everybody available. I’m concerned that the issues we have seen will spill over, an early goal for United would be nice to settle things and maybe force Villarreal out of their shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

The problem with a manager saying that publicly is some of the players might actually believe it, and actually saying that publicly is in itself a huge problem, very silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

There was a point in the latter days of JM's tenure, a game against Newcastle where were absolutely diabolical and were 2 down until the 70th minute and we managed to pull a 3-2 win out of the bag. After that game many people, myself included were calling for JM to get the boot, and Im someone that was a massive fan and defender of JM. It was clear and obvious that we were on a hiding to nothing and things had gone irreparably sour. He held the job for another 2 months or so and was then sacked.

A loss tonight should mean the end of Ole. Many people have seen over the last 12 to 18 months he is not the man to bring us any further and even more have reached that conclusion since the beginning of the season. It wont unfortunately, but like the JM example above, it should, rather than leave it linger on further in the hope things miraculously turn around.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh man that game was amazing like it was just an insane game, it probably brings back such good memories cause it was in the middle of that absolute **** show.

Im not sure if it was before that game but think it was around same time, that Woodward was leaking a few things and neville came out and went on one of his good rants.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering that timeline correctly but **** what a game. Think we had a back 2 with pogba in it some of the time 😂

I remember the “I’d love it if we beat them” keeganesque “meltdown”. I was watching a review of that season were Newcastle players were surprised that people outside the dresssingroom thought he was having a meltdown, they just thought it was their manager being passionate like he always was. How a dresssingroom and the public react to statements made public by manager don’t always match.

There’s absolutely no problem with a manager saying it publicly for multiple reasons.

One is it’s true, it’s not a game that they have to win, they are coming up against a team who haven’t lost a game all season and a draw is not a disaster. Two is that what a manager says publicly and what they say behind closed doors might be completely different for different reasons. It’s like a manager defending/protecting a player in public after they do something stupid but they talk to the player individually behind the scenes. Three is that it doesn’t matter what a manager says if the team does or doesn’t win.

If United win tonight and qualify top of the group none of you will be coming back to your complaints about what Ole said before this game and apologising for making something out of nothing.

The Problem is simply that many fans enjoy the hysteria of the tabloids , journalists and general media that tries to make a drama out of everything. If a manager is struggling, what they say in public automatically gets scrutinised with absolutely no Rational consideration to why they might make a certain statement.

A defeat tonight means Europa leaugue… I don’t want that….winning that completion with this team would be embarrassing

That f*ckinga YB game really has us on the Backfoot. I think it’s unfortunate that there’s these injuries but the team and manager have backed themselves into this corner and they can’t keep relying on a bit of luck or class to bail them out.

As much as I think there’s a lot of hysteria regarding the manager , I do think a defeat is another nail in the coffin. You can’t be not getting out of this group with that squad , injuries and all. Look at Madrid losing at home to sheriff, they will still qualify out of that group. Brugge started well but City and PSG will qualify. Time for Ole to show us how he can use this squad to Turn around a very dangerous looking situation.

I fear It’s gonna be a long night.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

More embarrassing to go into it and not win it which is what I'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Awb gets a two game ban while kdb gets away Scott free, no problem with our red just a problem with inconsistency

• Advertisement

I would of been very interesting to see how city would of reacted to a red and going down to 10. Why can’t uefa retrospectively punish De Bruyne? He wasn’t booked so ref didn’t do anything. Normally If it was a foul that deserved a red uefa would of gone back and suspend player if no yellow given.

Incidentally I do wonder if the fact it was such a high profile game is what influenced the match officials. Don’t want to be spoiling the games that uefa want to use to promote the competition.

Did he ? For what? If it’s dangerous play it should of been a clear red…

He definitely got booked. For the AwB one the referee bad the perfect angle for it with noone in his way. It was an easy decision to be made on the field.

No idea where the ref was for last nights one though and they're not in shot on any replay

He definitely got a yellow. It was ridiculous and I came straight here to moan about it.

Not having AWB tonight could really compound the difficult position we're in. Dalot could have a tricky night ahead if that's who plays on the right.

That red card could be the ultimate difference between qualification or not yet KdB gets a yellow. Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Think United will click into gear tonight. Hopefully Sancho plays.

Looking forward to seeing dalot play shame Shaw might t be fit as Telles is deffo not as good to get up and down the line, an if we end up resorting to lots of crosses we have 2 lads able to put in good ones and someone who can actually finish them.

Ronaldo to score a header or 2 might go look at them odds

Personally I'm happy to see dalot tried to be honest. AwB has certainly improved defensively this year, most notably since the red card. He was arguably our best defender in the last 2 league games, and has saved the blushes with some goal line clearances.

However his attacking threat is still non existent and we need more from that.

If dalot hadn't smacked that shot into the psg arm is though, ole might be back in Norway

God, fair play, I am not overly confident of tonight, I would nearly throw a few quid against them to win given the odds (1.57 on BF ?!). They are gonna have to click into gear (like LiamO said) to win this, they cant be playing like they did at weekend or for most of season.

My plan is actually do some study (decided in my wisdom to do a masters for the crack!) during the game in case it goes south I can at least take something from the 2 hours ! Feel like this could be one of those "watch from behind the couch" games.

Would be awesome if the injuries/suspension led to something good. Like the way Yorke/Cole partnership flourished when Ole (or Sheringham?!) got injured in 99(or at least that's what I kind of remember). Dalot has some cross on him, maybe he can strike up a partnership with whoever is on that wing (like Becks and Neville).

Our problem may be that we are loaded with attacking quality that just doesn't fit into the one team, but Ole is squeezing it all in to keep them all happy. Oddly enough, if this game was away to Villareal , I would of been more confident as they might of been a bit more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Villareal have only conceded 3 goals and scored 6 all season in La Liga, only winning 1 game and drawing 5 out of those 6.

They will most likely sit very deep and make Utd break them down while hoping to snatch something on the counter.

I expect it to be a very difficult night for Utd and would not be surprised at all with a draw.

A loss would be a disaster and unacceptable, just like the loss to Villa.

We won't be seeing any tactical changes or otherwise from Ole. He is not good enough manger and 3 years of the same norms suggest nothing is going to change tonight.

Hopefully we get a some moments of magic from some of our great players and get the win. Fingers crossed, come on United

I'd imagine this will play out exactly like the EL final so unless we get an early goal it could be a borefest. Even worse if they score first.

Anything other than a win is not acceptable given the squad available. If we fail to win tonight that's on the manger.

0-0 is 15-1 , One or less goals is 7-2, those are really good odds for a team that doesn't concede much.

What are we thinking in the YB game ? Draw the best case for us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Why was AwB suspended for 2 games, seems it came out today. Was it not going to be 3 anyway as he got a red card?

• Advertisement

Ideal results are a win for us and a draw in the other. Leaves us in second place a point off first so more or less negates last weeks result. Worst case scenario is lose tonight and YB win. Would leave us 4 points off second with 12 to play for.

Only 2 games in European competitions for a straight red I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Wolftown

Bookies have us as strong favourites to win which is surprising.

Might warrant a punt on Villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm fully expecting a win tonight, we all know Ole and this team have a habit of getting a few good results when things start looking bad.

A Ronaldo goal in the first minute would be great

Maybe tonight we won't concede from a set piece and we can actually score from one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Important night for Ole. Villarreal have gotten one over the last couple of Utd managers and Emery is tactically solid. Ole didn't have a response in the Europa final and it cost us dearly plus recently his tactical ability have come into question from pundits and ex players alike. He really needs to show improvement in that side of the game tonight, a tactically good setup and response if Villarreal are sitting back are a must. A preformance rellying on individual magic may not be good enough and would be disappointing.

I've defended Ole and said he has earned this season, there has been enough progress in terms of league position and squad building but this season is make or brake and a trophy or a serious title challenge simply has to be produced.

We got the real luck of the draw with this UCL group, its one of the easiest and not qualifying from it and dropping down to the Europa given the squad spend is a sack-able offense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pogba & McTominay in midfield should be interesting

• Advertisement

Atalanta 0 - 0 Young Boys at half time. Second half has just started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It’s one game for a second yellow leading to a red card or for a straight red card, however with the latter it can be extended beyond one game - in the case of AWB it was extended from one to two games for “rough play”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Well it's all or nothing, hopefully Sancho pushes on, hopefully we have some idea of how to break down the defence without being caught on the break (Pogba I'm looking at you...)

Atalanta 1 - 0 Young Boys

It's been coming.

Sancho and Greenwood and pogba all supplying… must be a goal for Ronaldo

Not sure Scott has near the game to be covering in that midfield duo, probably wont matter if they sit deep against us, i would have the 2 full backs as less defensively solid by a clip over the regulars, so that midfield definitely is a worry.

• Advertisement

That feels like the most attacking United line up that I can remember seeing. You would think that would be an exciting prospect but it just fills me with dread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wouldn't be getting my hopes up that Ole is opening up to changing the midfield two just yet... Pogba McTom seems to be his Villarreal pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

"That back four should be alright" says Ole.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

at least they are missing their best player.

decent lineup. after losing the 1st, cant be giving donny minutes unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That team is more porous than a tea bag. Pogba watching runners in behind him while jogging around and McTominay just lost is going to be something else. Couple that with a bang out of form Bruno in a free role we are in for a rough ride.

If Villarreal play keep ball we'll struggle to get a footing in the game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement