Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I went to Bright Ford a few weeks ago to view a car.

The salesman said he needed to get more details on a trade-in price. Took my email and phone no

Never bothered contacting me

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seen a photo on BOF of workers back in the Florentine Centre. Hopefully site is back up and running now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This job seems to be never ending! I just hope they don't run out of money so that it can finally be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get the idea/rumour that they will run out of money which seems to have largely come from Bray Open forum.

There's been various reasons mostly Covid related for delays but the project is too far gone now to not be finished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I accept that there are very valid reasons for delays such as covid. However delays cost money, in this case delays have been enormous and stretch way beyond covid. Many companies simply can not sustain delays to this extent. For this reason alone I would be concerned, not because of any rumors. As we all know loans must be repaid and banks have a reputation for being ruthless.

The delays are documented below.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/bray-central-works-are-blighted-by-delays-40568393.html

The scheme is backed by the council and I don't think there would be too many costs on the developers.

As for your comments about loans, you do not know the financial backing of the project and it would make zero sense for a bank to be "ruthless" and stop a project at this stage and deny the owners opportunities to earn revenue from new tenants and repay loans.

Just because you "don't think there would be too many costs on the developers" does not make it so 😀

I agree that I don't know the details about the financial backing of the project. However, I know from my own experience that developers pay their staff, and they in turn only get paid when they hit certain milestones. When milestones are missed payments are delayed, this in turn can cause cash flow issues. Compounding this is the fact that the costs for materials has increased dramatically, as have lead times and staff (especially trades people) tend not to hang around in this climate.

Post edited by 2011 on

I dont believe all those rumours either - Like nobody would walk away at this stage from the project

The centre seems very unsure of whats its about or who its customers are though - A high end luxury cinema alongside a Penneys......

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't see what's so unsure about it.

First of all Penneys' attracts clients from all demographics. Rich people like cheap clothes too.

Secondly you often mix in shopping centres. Dundrum has Penneys alongside Harvey Nichols, and Brown Thomas on the way.

I am curious what other stores will go in.

i think an Argos and Home Store +More could be candidates.

• Advertisement

Lots of cranes in Bray Town Centre and workers blocking off main street today. My friend who works in Wowburger was told to expect to open February next year.

Terry Pratchet

Personally I think it is a great combination. I would be a regular customer of both.

Seeing the crane being removed over the weekend was a positive sign that practical completion isn't far off. Removing the crane from a site is generally seen as a big mile stone on a project.

Hopefully the rest of the external ground works are complete over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I can't wait for the Stella, It's priced as an adult only cinema which is something I'd certainly pay extra for to hopefully enjoy the movie in peace. Teenagers/young kids/price conscious people will still go to DunL/Arklow/Stillorgan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I doubt Stella are going to go 100% for the model they have in Rathmines (where they only have 2 screens and there's a conventional multiplex across the road).

They'll probably have one "premium" screen in the evening with the others priced in line with other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Some time ago I head that the plan for the stella was 1 fancy screen with beer and food and 4 regular screens.

That seems perfect to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

So, BOF was right - the Duggans now own Frank Duffs.

They have ads out looking for staff (using Duggan style pink branding), plus website is registered by Multilane Ltd. (owned by the Duggans).

Yes, seen something similar when construction began. Looking like March 2022 or so for opening. Latest on BOF is PC for January 2022.

I saw that yesterday, at last the mystery is put to bed. I do hope they keep the atmosphere of the place similar. I reckon most of the regulars will just take up as they left off anyway. Having said that I have only been there a grand total of two times (pre Covid) in the last two years, so I probably won't even miss it... In my head I do though!

My partner was up in the new Lidl on the Boghall Road last night, said she won't ever go back, well in the evening times anyway.

She said there was a gang of about 20kids hanging the escalators going up and down them on their electric scooters, when the security guy came out they started racially abusing him. Shocking. She said one old woman actually asked her to wait for her so they could leave the shop together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think it'd be odd to keep the old atmosphere. It's tired and dated in terms of pubs. There's a reason why their other pubs are thriving and I can't see them buying something to keep it the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

What's the Tin Roof like?

Was in it the first Friday night that it opened, it has a proper pub feeling to it which I liked. Wasn't busy at all though which was expected on the first opening week. Have since passed it numerous times and there is always people in it.

I noticed over the weekend that they were advertising live music so I'm sure that will get people in. I'd say a lot of the pub trade are hoping the winter months will see an uplift in customers as people won't want to be sitting outside as much.

Can't imagine that to be honest. If it's a sports bar then there's bound to be food. That's where the money is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I saw a few posts about it on BOF. I was there on Monday around 6pm too. The kids were a nuisance, but the security guard was good at chasing them away. Poor guy had his work cut out for him though, they were constantly trying to sneak past him.

Not hugely impressed with the place though - it doesn't seem that big compared to Shankill, and if the hassle with the kids continues I'll just keep going to the one in Greystones.

I initially heard something like 1 screen "upmarket" and 3 screens "standard" cinema but then this week I have heard that all screens will be similar to Rathmines.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it'll fail if they do that, there isn't even a cinema in Dublin with 5 luxury high-priced screens.

I agree to that. 1 luxury cinema would be sufficient IMO. Pricing families out of going would be a major mistake.

• Advertisement

I wonder about the Stella Cinema set up in Bray as the ones in Rathmines and Ranelagh have some strange line ups often made up as what they may view as classics.

For example latest James Bond is on in Rathmines but you can also see Snow White at 9.30 tomorrow morning.

As there's 5 screens in Bray I just can't see it operating the same way especially as it's operating as only cinema in the area rather and it has to show more mainstream films to survive.

Advertisement