Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking help - running cables and boosters

Options
  • 22-08-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a cable run from my modem that is in the kitchen to my office upstairs, whilst also improving the signal upstairs and possibly still using home plugs.

I've spoken to an electrician who says they can drill out from the kitchen, run a cable outside, and then bring it into the office with a termination point (think that's what he said). So essentially I can plug a cable into a face plate and get the full internet speeds.

First question - he said that he could run cat5, for 1gb fibre do I not need cat 6?

Can I use a switch on the modem to increase the ports and then still use home plugs for other areas of the house where connection isn't as important? I have Devolo magic 2.

Once I have a port in my office, can I plug a router in to extend the wifi for upstairs (so that wifi devices just connect to the nearest/best router), and then plug the 3-4 ethernet devices from the office into the router and get max speed? What kind of router do I need for that?

Sounds a bit complicated so happy to clarify anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

Cat5e can go to 1GB, but might as well go with Cat6 when you're doing it.

Ethernet over power works just fine from switches

A 2nd router upstairs won't work. You could get away with adding another switch and a WAP.

If the Devolo Magic 2 supports mesh, maybe you could position that in such a way that you don't need a WAP in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Magic 2 is mesh, and even wifi - although I was never able to get that to work.

WAP = Wireless access point and probably what I need then? So if I get 2 cables run up from a switch downstairs connected to router to office.

Then in one of the sockets in office I plug a cable into a switch and then a WAP into that for wireless upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to run two cables to the office. I'd run one, put a switch on it, and plug the WAP into the switch.

But before buying a WAP I'd spend a bit more time getting the Mesh Wifi on the Devolo Magic to work, it might solve a lot of problems for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My vm unit is in my office with 4 ports full and added a 16 port switch for extra connections.

Where the copper pipes went through the ceiling a long cat 5 cable was added and more switches in different rooms.

So I guess follow up questions:

- Which switch should I buy? Need one for by the modem, and another for my office. 4-8 ports would be enough.

- If a router won't work but a Wireless Access Point will - which one would be best to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

So if I get one port put in the office I can connect it to a router for wireless and to get connections to 3 different devices wired in the office?

Bumping this again as electrician is finally coming on Friday.

I'm going to have a wire directly from modem to office via outside wall which is fine with me. It will just be an ethernet socket in the office.

From this I'd ideally like to make the one port into 3 (switch or router) and then have a wireless access point / router so that it can provide better wireless connection upstairs without having to input a new password or connect to a different network.

What's the best way of doing this and does anyone have recommendations for brands/models to look for?

Can I just plug a router in upstairs from the new ethernet socket, have wireless and then use the ethernet ports for the 3 bits of hardware in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You are doing the right thing just buy a cheap 4 port gigabit switch (about €20 on amazon) and plug the end of the Cat6 cable from your modem into this and then you an extra three ethernet ports in your office. You could then plug in a dedicated wifi access point into one of these ports (use a POE injector to power it) A decent Unifi AP might acutally do the whole house and you could switch off the radios in your route.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Ideally I'd like to have the router downstairs with wireless and a router upstairs as well, just to make sure we have coverage.

Ideally so devices would switch to the strongest signal depending on where you are in house if that's possible?

Any recommendations for a switch - make/model? Hoping to get close to the 1gb speeds in the office, beats the wall plugs!

• Advertisement

Would this be the kind of switch I need? Unmanaged - NETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Network Switch (GS108UK)

So I can just plug a cable from new terminal in office to the switch. Then plug cables from the switch to all my other devices in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Who is your ISP and what router do you have downstairs? Some of the ISPs will now supply additional mesh points (at a cost) that work with their own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You can only have one router/gateway/modem that your provider supplies, this will have probably a 4 port gigabit switch included in it. You then connect another the switch in your upstairs office off this router. You can if you want connect a couple of Unifi Wifi 6 Lite access points one down stairs and one upstairs and these can be set up (basic set up) through their mobile app which should give you great wifi. I'm fully invested in Unifi gear (for good or bad..) but there are other AP providers out there. Or you could get a mesh system but it will never be as good as hard wired AP.

My recommendation is wire up a simple switch in your office and connect one dedicated AP to this. See how that works first, the switch is only 20-30 quid and you will always use the Wifi AP. Number one rule connect all your stuff through ethernet if possible then wifi.

https://eu.store.ui.com/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep, keep it simply. If you want wired ports upstairs get a switch and plug it into the new port. Then you can add a wireless access point to this switch also without any performance loss. If the wireless AP has ethernet ports you can forgo the switch.

Personally I use the Orbi RBK53 and they are magnificent bits of kit.

ISP = Airwire.

Router is a Fritzbox something or other - 7530 I think. They do mesh stuff yeah, maybe that's the answer and I'll just use a switch for my equipment.

Will that linked Access point wifi-6 lite just act as a better wifi signal upstairs? We won't have to connect to it any differently to downstairs, the devices will work out best signal right?

It says I need a POE injector not included, what does that do and do I need one?

Seemingly it's pretty difficult to get an 8 port unmanaged switch online, delivers are all really long.

Would something like this work for me - TP-LINK TL-SG108E Network Switch - 8 port

They have them in stock in Currys and I could collect one today.

Just to report back I bought the TP link switch I mentioned and it was just plug and play. Getting speeds of 700-950~ mb download now from my 1gb connection which is an improvement on 400-500 I used to get through the magic devolo 2 plug.

I've just moved that plug to my sons room now for his playstation so I won't rush out and buy wifi stuff, but would be good to know if there's anything plug and play that can be used to boost wifi around the house.

Advertisement