Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Usually, and yes in this case there was a history of flashing, the latest incident the day before he abducted her. His warrant card and his police handcuffs and pepper spray should have been taken off him and him suspended at the first incidence of flashing.

But no, they let him off knowing that he was a sexual predator who harassed women prior to this and did nothing. They knew from the moment that couple reported that they saw her being 'arrested' that it was one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

I think once he has been sentenced, there will be other issues about him released to the media.

He ordered handcuffs off Amazon. Reading the family statements is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This makes for chilling reading. She must have been terrified.

The police have a lot of questions to answer. I've the greatest of respect for the UK police force but they dropped the ball big time in the case of Couzens.

The recent Sabina Nessa murder is shocking too - facts only beginning to emerge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

anybody has the reputable link to the news? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Why do you have the greatest respect for the UK police force? Genuinely curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Maybe because they get called systemically racist and misogynistic every day and still go to work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I can't begin to imagine how Sarah's family must feel. How afraid she must have been, and how she must have suffered, it doesn't bear thinking about, it's horrendous. Their Victim Impact statements are heartbreaking.

There are no words to describe that piece of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

In general I think they are very quick to solve cases. They seem to gather evidence and make an arrest very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Advertisement

Not his first rodeo. suspect we will hear of his professional encounters with now missing women

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Xander10

This is so sad. What an utterly vile character he is. Clearly, some past history (maybe more minor), just hope the police don't try to sweep any on it under the carpet to try to save face.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

His nickname among his colleagues was "the rapist". Make of that what you will.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I was reading that earlier. How the hell was such a scumbag in the job that he was in. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlockPartee

Plenty of scumbags and perverts on the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,548 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

He won't have an easy time in prison, being an ex copper. Hopefully he will get a whole life term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Personally I believe the chances that he abused his status before are high, but that is is irrelevant if he didn’t get caught for it. He’ll know that too and will most likely try to do damage control when facing court.

Ironically he will now be considered for other (unsolved) cases, which will just polish his ego.

I am not sure what’s special about the victim impact statements. It’s the same formulaic content and emotive language used in any victim statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,651 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It’s the same formulaic content and emotive language used in any victim statement.

That seems a very trite dismissal of the experience of people who have had their lives massively impacted with, not only losing a loved one, but the trauma of having to imagine what they experienced. Committing such acts, isn't harming just one person but everyone who cared for them and has to consider their final moments.

This statement in particular communicated the likely fear Sarah experienced at the hands of Couzen and if nothing else should force police forces, and individual members to pay attention to the monsters amongst their own numbers. It is clear that there were enough signs exhibited by Couzen that should have triggered action.

Maybe some body will report their colleague who has been exhibiting worrisome behaviour and action will be taken about it and we'll never hear about it because it doesn't escalate as what happened here.

@Tell me how

Have you ever heard a statement that sounded different?

I am not questioning how this family feels and how it impacted their lives. But I do not think that victim statements should influence a verdict, which should be based on facts.

Not that they make much difference in this case as he will end up with a lengthy prison sentence anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Sadly, it can be very difficult to predict sometimes who will commit an awful act such as this one.

Couzens did appear to display some worrying behavior prior to this, but then we have the benefit of hindsight through which to view those incidents. Before he turned into a murdering monster, it's quite possible that those incidents might not have looked like the red flags they do now. It's hard to say really, unless you had close interactions with him.

Some psychopaths and killers show almost no warning signs at all before committing their first act. How do you keep people safe from the monsters hidden in plain sight, without going down the whole minority report style society where everyone is under heavy surveillance and suspicion?

Even if this man had been reprimanded for those previous misdemeanor incidents, it's likely he would have only got a wrap on the knuckles as they would not have been deemed serious enough to get jail time etc - which might just have further emboldened him or even angered him to commit this crime in the future either way. These horrible ideas were in his head, and for the most part that's where they tend to remain with these weirdos beyond the occasional slip of the mask - until they ultimately do the deed. (well, that's what the experts seem to believe who study these people anyway)

Very sad ending to this young woman's life. :( RIP Sarah.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,651 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think this particular statement was especially hard hitting because it painted a picture of the likely fear Sarah experienced and contrasted that with the support or companionship others have at the end of their lives, whether in normal or tragic circumstances.

A lot of statements do sound similar, because a lot of people experience the same sense of loss and hardship when they lose someone in such a way.

Whatever about influencing a verdict, they can at least give some solace to the people left behind that they stood up for their loved on in a way not as coldly surmised as what are clear and irrefutable facts. Even if it makes no difference in real terms, I think it will give solace to the people who lost someone to at least think that they communicated what they were feeling.

As I said above, many lives have been impacted by this murder and other murders. The people who have to live with that burden, and their loss, deserve to be heard.

I have no doubt that the psychological impact of being able to give a statement is immense, and I do not think they should not be able to speak their mind. But I dislike the fact that these statements are given shortly before the sentencing, which undoubtedly has an impact on people involved in the sentencing process.

If two crimes of the exact same nature ended up in court, and one was laden with impact statements and the other one wasn’t because the victim did not have anyone to speak for them, it seems unjust to have them be evaluated differently.

I don’t think the seriousness of this case is defined by what the victim might have felt (assumptions), but by the obvious position of power that the perpetrator’s job gave him. This is the bit that needs addressing by the MET, and other organisations.

Victim impact statements do not influence a verdict, of course, evidence proves guilt.

They are only ever given after a verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, victim impact statements come after a verdict, so won't influence that. They may impact sentencing though, and I don't think they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just looking at the new cctv footage released there, terrifying ....

Murder carries a mandatory life sentence, so does not influence the sentence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I was speaking in more general terms, but fair point about this case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

This case is just chilling. Its not as if he was masquerading as a policeman. He was a serving police officer. Put her in cuffs and took her away. The witness statements are harrowing. It's unbearable to think of your child enduring what she did. You just never know who or what you're dealing with. It makes you wonder who you encounter in a day and what they might be contemplating /capable of.

• Advertisement

Advertisement