Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, this change, requested by the UK at the UN, is all about making it more difficult for UK-based travellers (with GB plates) to travel to EU countries? Does this apply to the ROI? Plenty of GB plates or just those numbered yellow or white plates all over the place with no EU symbol at all on them.

And, exactly whose lot is live is improved by this? The sticker vendors?

Maybe unused stickers can be consumed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wonder how many EU member states are bothered whether a vehicle has GB or UK on the back of it.

I think any EU cop will be able to understand GB means the UK, but will some think UK refers to Ukraine - might be an interesting diversion for the drivers of RHD vehicles who cannot speak the local lingo when stopped for a bit of speeding and fined on the spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Small potatoes really; whether or not it's part of a Brexit fuelled display of cheap jingoism, "UK" reads more accurate anyway, given it covers both GB and NI and would be the correct nomenclature. It's not as entirely silly and pointless as the great Blue Passport fandango.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It will be that police officer that stopped the car for some other reason that will slap it on top of everything else because they are annoyed by the driver when it will come up I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interestingly the country was commonly known as 'Great Britain' back then and the term 'United Kingdom' was rarely, if ever, used. For example, their team competed at the Olympic Games as GB, despite it being a Britain and Ireland team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Team GB means team England in most minds and NI is a far away place in another country that doesn't concern them.

UK and GB are interchangeable to people the same way USA and America are because they have no understanding of the "and Northern Ireland" bit or it's significance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've a funny feeling that unionists in NI would actually prefer the GB sticker on their cars and would not be too happy about the 'UK' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The UK and Ireland have a bilateral arrangement under which cars from either country do not need a national identifier in the other. This arrangement is unaffected by the UK's change of national identifier.

UK travellers taking their cars to countries other than Ireland are legally obliged to display the new national identifier. If you have one of those number plates with the GB identifier displayed on the left that's no longer good enough; you can still display those plates but, legally, you still have an obligation to display the UK identifier. If you don't want to buy a UK sticker (cost: about £1.50) you can ask the DVLA to issue you with replacement plates that incorporate the UK identifier instead of the GB identifier (cost: a lot more than £1.50).

It remains to be seen how strictly other countries will enforce the requirement for a UK identifier against UK motorists who display a GB identifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It is the strangest bilateral agreement as it’s a egal requirement for Irish Registration plates to have The EU flag and the letters "IRL" must be placed on the left-hand side of the plate. The flag shows 12 gold stars in a circle, with the letters "IRL" in white underneath.

So although we don’t have to have the IRL identifier to drive in the UK, all cars apart from those with a pre 87 plate will have one.

Yes, I know, but the bilateral agreement with the UK is much older than that.

• Advertisement

oh I know, just think it’s hilarious.

As for how strictly other countries will enforce the UK identifier requirement it remains to be seen but I remember on a family holiday in France my father nearly being arrested by an irate geandarmie for not having a breathalyser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What would be the fine for not having a UK sticker?

I read that this is being done solely for the optic of showing that Northern Ireland is part of the UK as GB only refers to England, Scotland and Wales.

AA complaining they are now stuck with 50,000 GB stickers as the government advised them that post Brexit there would not be a change.

It’s a €90 euro fine in France for not having the sticker, the breathalyser, high vis vest and a triangle. During the 90s some legend convinced loads that they needed a fire extinguisher and flogged a job lot with no requirement.

Not sure about other countries. Never remember any panic going on holidays to Germany, Belgium or Holland car wise. But remember my Dad frantically painting the headlights yellow on the Dover to Callais ferry as he had forgotten to do it before we left.

Sealink used to give you the IRL sticker in the ticket envelope. Was such an exciting thing to see as we knew we were going on our holidays shortly.

I don't know what the penalty for not having the correct sticker would be. I presume it will vary from country to country (as may the rigour of enforcement). It's likely to be a fine broadly in line with whatever fines that particular country levies for similar infringements.

As for the reason for the change, it's not Brexit-related and the government isn't even pretending that it's Brexit-related. I think it's probably more that over the years the government has gradually moved from using "GB" or "Great Britain" as a shorthand for the state (which used to be standard) to using "UK" or "United Kingdom", and they reckoned things had reached a point where continuing with "GB" on the car plates was starting to look anomalous. It's just consistency of branding, really.

I think the AA asked whether Brexit would give rise to a change and were told - technically correctly - that it would not. My guess is that this was buried in a list of issues that the AA asked about in the context of Brexit. The change was decided upon subsequently, and for unrelated reasons, and probably in a separate process, and the coincidence with the implementation of Brexit is probably just that — coincidence.

But then switching to the UK for branding purposes goes against the "Global Britain" slogan we're all so tired of hearing.

As this is the UK's government decision only and unrelated to Brexit what would happen if the EU said they would still recognise the GB sticker?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

National competency; EU has sod all to say about it basically.

Nothing would happen.

The deal under the treaty is that the parties commit themselves to recognising and accepting one another's nominated identifiers. So France, Belgium, etc must recognise "UK" in the same way that the UK must recognise "F" and "B". A car with "UK" plate can't be penalised in France or Belgium for not displaying a valid international vehicle registration code.

But France and Belgium are free to recognise other codes, if they wish, or not to require the display of any code, or simply not to enforce the strict rule against a car displaying a "GB" plate. (And, indeed, they might well do this during a transitional period, since over-scrupulous enforcement of motoring regulations that have no road safety implications is almost as big a pain for the police as it is for the motorists.)

I agree that "Global Britain" is a counter-example to the preference for "UK". But recall that it's a political slogan, not an official name or designation.

To see the trend towards "UK" in action, have a look at the names of public bodies in the UK. Some start with "British . . . " — the British Council, the British Museum, the British Transport Police Authority — but often these are either very long-established (like the British Museum) or they in fact operate only in GB (like the British Transport Police; the PSNI police transport facilities in NI). Far more start with "United Kingdom . . . " or "UK . . ." — UK Export Finance, UK Statistics Authority, UK Atomic Energy Authority — and, the more recently the body in question was established or named, the more likely it is to have UK/United Kingdom in the name, and the less likely to have Great Britain/British.

A search on the gov.uk website finds 33 organisations with "UK" or "United Kingdom" in the name, 9 with "British" and none at all with "GB".

After all that hard work it would be a real shame then if Scotland voted for independence and United Ireland came about from the Northern Ireland protocol! 🙂

The two parts of the UK that voted to remain part of the EU leaving the UK due to being steam rolled out the EU by an England dominated Brexit position.

A united Ireland will definitely not come about from the Northern Ireland Protocol.

It might, conceivably, indirectly, come about as a consequence of opposition to the NI Protocol. But even that requires some fairly extravagant speculations and assumptions.

We could cut to the chase and say that a united Ireland could come about as a consequence of Brexit, or as a consequence of the UK government's decision to pursue a hard Brexit. That's also fairly speculative, but I think it's a more plausible speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Doubt there's much interest in policing these stickers outside of France maybe. The Germans don't seem to care, judging by the amount of Danish cars without a DK sticker (or at best an illegal one without the white background). The odd time you see yokes from the likes of Liechtenstein also not carrying any stickers.

If Brexit keeps "delivering" the way it has, then this change will need to be made again after Scotland and then later NI leaves as surely the name of the country will change to just England & Wales (if the English are feeling generous).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

the name of the country will change to just England & Wales (if the English are feeling generous).

or Britain!

There's a European Agreement under which most EU/EEA member states agree to accept the designations embedded in one another's national number plates as sufficient. I'm pretty sure that both Denmark and Germany participate, so I think Danish cars aren't required to display Vienna Convention national identifier stickers in Germany (or vice versa).

(Ireland isn't a party to this Agreement, because it supplements the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and only parties to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic can join. Ireland, along with Spain, Cyprus and possibly one or two other member states, has yet to join the Vienna Convention; we still operate under the earlier Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A very large number of cars in the UK/GB do not have any identifier on their number plates - I think about 50%. I wonder will they now add the 'UK' stickers to their number plates or the oval sticker to the back of their cars.

By the way, will the Queen of England now become the Queen of the UK? Or the Church of England become the Church of the UK? Or the Bank of England become the Bank of the UK? Will 'English Heritage' rename itself to 'UK Heritage'?

Is the dropping of the 'Great' Britain a sign they no longer consider themselves worthy of the term 'Great'?

Joking aside, I think this 'UK' thing is to counteract the movement for Scottish independence rather than Brexit related.

UK cars that travel to other countries (apart from Ireland) will, I think, have to have "UK" stickers. Even if they get plates with "UK" embedded in them, this may not be enough any more, since the UK is no longer an EU/EEA member state, and so has withdrawn from the agreements under which embedded designations are acceptable. (I could be wrong on that last point.)

There hasn't been a Queen of England since 1707, when Queen Anne stopped being Queen of England, Queen of Scotland and Queen of Ireland, and became Queen of Great Britain and Queen of Ireland. in 1800, George III stopped being King of Great Britain and King of Ireland, and became King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. That style continued to be used until, I think, they switched to "King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

The Church of England will remain the Church of England; it has no presence in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland where instead there are sister Anglican churches - the Episcopalian Church of Scotland, the Church in Wales, the Church of Ireland. Likewise English Heritage does only operate in England; other parts of the UK have their own heritage agencies.

Bank of England, strictly speaking, should be Bank of the UK since its notes are legal tender throughout the UK and it serves as the central bank for the whole country. But for heritage reasons they will probably not change the name. When it was established, in 1694, it was just for England.

"Great Britain" isn't being dropped; it's still the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It's just no longer being used to the extent that it used to be as a shorthand for the entire kingdom. "United Kingdom" is the preferred shorthand now.

"British" is still the adjective meaning "pertaining to the UK" - the British Government, the British army. "Great British" never enjoyed much official use.

I think the trend away from official use of "Great Britain" and towards "UK" predates serious concerns in Westminster about Scottish indepence, but those concerns may have intensified the trend in recent years.

Just to nitpick.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/faq/banknote

[Quote]

• What does ‘legal tender’ mean?
    • Legal tender is a term that people often use, but when it comes to what can or can’t be used to pay for things, it has little practical use. 
    • Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning, which relates to settling debts. It means that if you are in debt to someone, you can’t be sued for non-payment if you offer full payment of your debts in legal tender.
    • What is classed as legal tender varies throughout the UK. In England and Wales, Royal Mint coins and Bank of England notes are legal tender. 
    • In Scotland and Northern Ireland, only Royal Mint coins are legal tender. Throughout the UK, there are some restrictions when using the lower-value coins as legal tender. For example, 1p and 2p coins only count as legal tender for any amount up to 20p.

[/Quote]

So, no bank notes are legal tender in NI or Scotland, only coins.

However, good advice - if offered notes to pay a debt, always accept it. You might not get another chance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ok so I really am not sure how to process this news (do I laugh, despair, cry or what?) - the tendering process has undermined the entire project...

The government is preparing to launch a Brexit helpline for British businesses and has awarded the contract for providing the service to an Indian company.

The Department for International Trade will announce details of the hotline this week. It will help companies to negotiate a range of new rules, including documentation and physical checks on goods, that are due to come into force next year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I also see that YouGov ahve released the results of a survey on the public's attitude to Brexit.

Whilst the majority think it is going either fairly badly (21%) or very badly (32%), apparently 18% of respondents think it is going either well or fairly well.

How can someone think it is going well?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pure belligerence and nothing more. Too insecure to realize they made a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭KildareP

Probably because it doesn't impact them particularly hard, or at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

@Seth Brundle "How can someone think it is going well?"

Pounds and ounces, blue passports and other trivial stuff intended to be just for the optics.

Advertisement