Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And none of this takes away (which it attempts to do) from the fact that you attempted to sell us a baseless false claim about increasingly storm intensity in the country we actually live in.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The solution is a mixture of local grid level backups and continent level interconnection. When energy is over abundant there will be a market for some suppliers to stockpile it and sell it in times of scarcity

its no different to any other economic commodity instead of having massive tankers Or reservoirs full of oil, the energy will be stored in thermal plants or batteries or as chemical or potential energy

as long as it’s well regulated we’ll figure out a mix of long term solutions. There are so many viable solutions to this problem, the question is really about which mix we go with rather than ‘can it be done’

It’s only laughable to lukewmists like you.

Unlike you I care about people not living Immediately nearby.

Where does that energy go?

You almost seem alarmed by the focus on temperature, your flippant attitude is hard to fathom. The basic premise of global warming is predicated upon that. How does this elude you? The hottest years on record (anticipating nebulous pre-1850 arguments) have occurred in the past two decades. These are irrefutable facts, sun cycles and the pivot of the earth's axis cannot overcome that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Advertisement

They haven't managed it in the likes of Germany so repeating the same experiment here with the likes of Eamon Ryan directing policy is unlikely to end well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just stop digging. I too said I was not talking about near me but you seem to have read that incorrectly too.

And what's this new term "lukewarmists"? I haven't hear that one before? Did you read that in a peer-reviewed reputable paper or did you come up with it yourself?

Look, you seem to be joining in just for the sake of it, not even reading back in the conversation, moving the goalposts as you go. Where did I say that recent decades have not been the warmest? You made that up too.

Just to fill you in, we've been discussing energy in Ireland and Akrasia made up a "fact" that storms here have been getting stronger when in fact the opposite is true, and was shown several times to be so. He and now you are trying to deflect from that with a different angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Did I read earlier on the rolling blackouts impact in negligible?

amazing level of ignorance. Carbon energy has saved significantly more lives than is currently at threat from a 3c increase.

Arkasia you cherrypick like no other in here. Energy crisis is poor planning, but you don’t accept that flood risk is also due to poor planning?

Natural gas prices increasing is good to make it redundant and force us into renewables. Yes that’s how it works.. Not like governments will incentivise exploration with tax credits.

Also mention of storing energy. Really? Surprised that this is mentioned at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's just not correct I'm afraid. Wind and it's unpredictability is the main issue, could with our government being overeager in shutting down fossil fuel plants. It's also responsible for driving up energy prices.

Many data centers are already involved in peak shaving which has been used quite a lot this year as the wind just didn't blow. Many of these data centers have diesel generator backups which allows for this. However, newer many data centers have pivitoed to very short term energy storage devices for backup as the current legislation only allows 4 hours of runtime on gens. So in a move to reduce emissions from these generators we've taken away their ability to provide this peak shaviy capability.

As a matter of interest, outside of Diesel generators, what type of energy storage are available to supply a 20MW site with power for 48hours?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Of we want "clean" reliable power than the only game in town is nuclear. The rest is 30/50 years away at best.

Having local grids is an absolute nightmare for a TSO and currently our infrastructure is nowhere near capable of handling it.

Electricity is a completely different commodity to those you mention. It can't be easily stored and is more or less 'use it or lose it'. There are iniatives to develop these technologies but having a robust solution outside of hydro pump storage is a ways away yet.

Akrasia says I can't "dismiss reports based on historical measurements" by doing what I and others did...i.e.using historical measurements. He prefers to cherrypick anecdotal recollections of local events in the past few years, with absolutely zero data as backup. He also includes the 2009 floods, nothing to do with wind, to try to paper over his cracks, as if those floods came from one of these single storms he thinks are getting stronger. I'd like to see data to confirm that "half of his county"was under water. I don't think we'll be seeing them any time soon.

Unfortunately the Greens in a previous government under Eamon Ryan scuppered any Nuclear chances the country had.

He has stated that while he is in Government there will never be nuclear power. Private jets are ok tho, and fabricated situations of him cycling.

Eamonn is a plant for big oil, he must be.

He also thinks it's reasonable for people to get there homes to an A rating with passive systems and heat pumps. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

Like any of these "green" iniatives they forget the most important part. You need to build the infrastructure first before crippling people with carbon taxes when they have no viable alternatives available.

There was another of these types on Virgin last night talking about EVs exporting back to the grid during peak times. Sure sounds great until you think about it for half a second. Those peak times are usually when people are commuting.

https://fluenceenergy.com/energy-storage-technology/ can do energy storage of 1mb to 500mb

And I'm sure the multi billion euro data centre companies are being constantly pitched energy storage solutions by the dozens of established companies in the industry, but why would they make the investment in these solutions when they can just draw cheap electricity off the grid even if this means governments have to maintain gas or coal power stations to balance the load

https://ysgsolar.com/blog/top-50-energy-storage-companies-2021-ysg-solar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

This is a classic move from GL to attack new members posting on this thread. I wouldn’t take much notice.

A book I am hoping to get for Christmas:

“False Alarm” By Bjorn Lomborg – Book Review (forbes.com)

Reading a few reviews, I thought this one in Forbess was particularly interesting:

"Lomborg is a “lukewarmer”. He thinks global warming is real, man-made, and a serious problem, which can be and needs to be tackled. But he disputes that it is an existential risk, or indeed our biggest challenge".

So it seems that 'lukewarmer' is the new media driven buzzword for alarmists to take on and throw at people who don't fully share their views. So be it, but as I have said before, most climate alarmists are very lukewarm people themselves, which makes itself evident everyday by their vapid predictability and their fog horning of every single (favoured) media point, and not just regarding climate.

New Moon

"Eamonn is a plant for big oil, he must be". - Nabber

Well, he must be getting his millions from somewhere.

New Moon

Those are great for very short term usage. There is nothing available yet that can store enough energy to supply a data center for 48 hours as you suggested.

Data centers also pay for the electrical system upgrades when connecting and they pay for electricity usage. The push to remove reliable spin reserve for our baseline usage is the main problem.

Please post evidence to back up your accusation there BR, otherwise back tf up. I have a right to clarify his mistake, to which he afterwards owned up himself.

Unfortunately your user profile is private, so I can't access the Ignore button. I'll just have to do it manually from now on.

• Advertisement

New York is building one of the worlds biggest battery storage facilities on the site of an old gas works near the Docks. The costs are massive despite the fact that it will only store a mere 30 mins of peak demand!! This is what happens when you have Eamon Ryan types medalling in stuff they have no clue about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This guy doesn't seem to like big battery storage systems and paints a grim picture of them: BESS Bombs, Part 1: The huge explosive toxic batteries the wind & solar companies are sneaking into your backyard (rivercitymalone.com)

I've no idea of who the author is, just stumbled upon that site very recently.

I assume you meant 1-500 MW and not MB.

I don't know much about BESS but my own personal opinion is that all roofs should be fitted with solar panels, just like I saw when landing in Memmingen, Germany, where a large percentage of houses were decked in them. It should be made mandatory for at least all businesses to have solar arrays on their roofs, which in some cases can be a huge surface area. I'm not sure what scheme there is/was for residential homes in Germany but in that part of the country, at least, they seem to be fairly self-sufficient.

Yeah, sorry, I had MB on the brain when I was typing that, should have said MW

I fully agree that industry should be required to generate some of their own power, especially if they have lots of space on their roofs that could be utilised for solar at very little cost to themselves and with this usually comes some battery installations. There are even companies that operate to install and maintain these installations on premises at no cost to the company, and they sell the power back to the company at a cheaper rate than they can buy from the grid.

The greens should use their position in government to make these mandatory, and to require the grid to allow excess energy to be sold back to the grid

We need to be thinking long term here, the existing operators do not want microgenerators to be able to sell back to the grid, because this would undercut their prices at a time of surplus supply, but if we had a system where during peak times, electricity prices fall to extremely low levels, even given away for free, this would make it economical for operators to come in to buy this surplus energy and store it through the multitude of ways, (compressed air, gravity storage, chemical batteries (of all kinds of different chemistries with different use cases), thermal storage, even storage inside the fleet of electric vehicles, or industrial processes switching their energy intensive activities to who can be configured perform energy intense tasks when the price is lowest.

As well as this, Ireland has the capacity for about 5GW of energy from large scale offshore floating wind installations off our southwest coast which is planned to come on board by 2030, and a further 25GW of energy in our deeper more exposed waters. We should be aiming at over producing energy which we can then sell to Europe to assist them in their carbon neutrality targets or use to convert

Ireland's peak demand last year was

so the additional 5GW of offshore wind would almost cover the entire energy needs to the country most of the time, meaning that we will be overproducing electricity for much of the year. Currently a lot of that is wasted, or we deliberately turn off infrastructure, we need to be incentivising the use of this excess energy when the prices are low so we can have lower peak demand when supply is low and also storage and interconnectors

With Gas and Coal turbines, keeping them running when prices are low is uneconomical, so the plants are shut down, with renewables, the marginal cost of producing each unit of energy is very low so a renewable infrastructure allows these new storage technologies to become viable.

So why should we take this guys opinion seriously? Anyone from this thread can throw out similarly unsupported assertions

You want us to keep using Coal. Have you any idea how dirty coal is? The ash from Moneypoint is more radioactive than nuclear waste

The 30 minutes of Peak demand figure is assuming a catastrophic failure of every other power station at once, which if it does happen, means they have bigger problems than running out of electricity

but even if 30 mins was the max useful capacity of these BESS plants, the point of them, is to provide instant backup to allow other systems to kick into gear. There are lots of other storage solutions that can be brought online with a bit of a lead in time and can be used for longer grid backup

Japan recording record low September temps.

Just one of the many sponsors of 'The Conversation' (how much sponsorship (money) do they actually need?)

This is highly disturbing stuff. Gates (via his 'foundation') and his billionaire corporate buddies actively furthering the pursuit of corporate colonisation in the M.E and Africa, and all under the facade of virtuous social justice... and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

New Moon

• Advertisement

So notable in its rarity that you felt the need to post it here

Advertisement