Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

So I have this in my backlog a while. The enthusiasm coming from you folks is contagious, think I'll be booting it up in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My brain is zapped. I have a few areas to explore hitting a dead end on all of them. Currently, Starlit Cove is the only place that has 'there's more to explore here'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a loonnngg session there - progress at first, then got stuck for a bit with all my leads chased down, but then finally figured out the key to find a shitload of new stuff. Think I'm near the end now, I think just two key leads to chase up and hopefully should nearly be there then. There's one really annoying bit at one stage I hope I don't need to deal with again 😅

If you're at a dead end, here's what got me in very vague terms:

I thought there was one major area of the map that wasn't easily accessible from the off, but it absolutely is.

Are you talking about...

The cliffside building with broken bridge? I think I only attempted to get in there twice and gave up but I haven't checked underwater there yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Advertisement

Just got in there.

I figured the Ghost Matter cave would connect to there so went back and caaaarefully fumbled my way through but made it to the other side intact. Now I'm faced with a puzzle I don't have the answer to....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Amazing game, wish I could forget playing it and start again.

So...using the artifact

I went back to the very first structure with the green flame as I completely forgot about that and have only been going to the other 2 and vault one. Came across a stealth section and it's all starting to take shape for me now. I new all those areas were linked but didn't think I could reach them all from one place. Now that I know I can, 2 places specifically, and that outside events impact what's going on, I think I have a path to try something. Man my head is frazzled but I love it!

Found that one last night, ran out of time before I could find the answer. I do know however

It's not the same code/combination as the one downstream in the reservoir. It would be bloody typical if it's on the far side of the canyon wouldn't it.

The darkness is kinda annoying

• Advertisement

Nothing worse than trying to be sneaky and falling into water!

It is indeed. I’d highly recommend (late DLC spoilers)

turning on ‘reduce scares’ for the stealth sections if you keep getting caught. I got through one without it, second had a puzzle twist so was easily overcome, but third one I eventually just turned on reduce scares as it was annoying me trying to get past the damn owls in total darkness. The option just makes the owls easier to run past from what I could tell.

There are game world states during the loop that do make it a bit easier automatically too.

Oh My God

so, I'll make this as vague as possible but made a lot of progress. I finally found the code for the temple which was through another secret door which I was kicking myself for not figuring out sooner. Anyway. Using the temple code unlocked 3 more secrets for me to find. Found 2 so far and the 2nd one blew my mind as it showed me exactly what I was looking for in Starlit Cove. Gonna look for the 3rd secret before heading back there as the Temple still shows 'more to find here'. I **** love this DLC so much.

I couldn't find the device to extinguish the lights in Starlit. I completed the other 2 dream areas (I actually quit the first one and tried to kill myself.....and found the answer doing so :D, the 2nd one i must have fluked as I was legging all over the place and ended up where I was supposed to be) but stuck on Starlit but now no how to get down that well finally!

Late DLC spoilers

So I have extinguished one symbol on the sarcophagus from following instructions from the hidden archives, I got a 2nd hidden archive but haven't tried that fix yet. I'm guessing down the well will give me the third and that will complete the DLC for me I'm guessing. The Story of the Strangers is **** incredible. I can't wait to see the end.

Also, as for temple with the broken bridge and how to enter it, am I doing it right...

Going to the ghost matter cave at the other side and flinging myself through, coming out with a sliver of life yet? There has to be a more graceful way?

Much easier than that!

There’s another, easy access route to that whole complex - have a proper look at the area from another angle.

Yeah use the probe, I'd completely forgotten that was what you were meant to do.

But the route through is actually really simple.

Assuming coming from the hidden gorge side hug the left way until you come to the tree and simply switch walls. Don't get too close to the tree.

Where did you find the door code? General hint/area?

Cool, i'll try that with the cave but sounds like Johnny has an even simpler way :D

As for the code for the temple

The answer lies behind a secret door in the tower , cinder towers I think, room at the top which you can only get to by a secret entrance. A slide shows how to get the secret door open. I had tried what they suggested but getting nowhere. When I tried it again, it just clicked. Let me know if you need anything more on it.

Ah so I gotta get a birds eye view and try spot something. Damn, I love the map.

I ended up trying that myself due to the dead end at the hidden gorge. I'd the vision on who to get in there fresh in my mind so copped what to do immediately.... well almost. 😀

For the high temple area…

Not all rafting routes are created equal, and some are a little more subtly placed than others 👁

• Advertisement

Well now that's all I'll be thinking about until i return tonight.

You think you've seen everything and then in frustration you go back to area and wonder how you missed things much earlier on.

I'd missed the hidden passage in the river lowland temple at the start that takes you to the woods as I was sure I was done there, then as I was in the reservoir area at the dam I noticed there was a theatre in the building on the left and no reel. I noticed that the shelf was split in two and the rest of the building was in the water.

I just found the 3 secret location given to you in the temple, those 3 have been so much fun to find but be ready to take a picture of the hints with your phone, much easier than remembering from your ship log.

Just as i went into the location, the game hard crashed, twice it's happened me. At least it's just a couple of minutes back there, not like I'm not used to that first elevator ride a thousand times anyway :)

Finished it there, a pretty hefty expansion - probably a good 9-10 hours gameplay.

Only thing I did have a gander for online was how to take advantage of one of the 'errors' at the very end, everything else thankfully I managed to figure out myself.

Absolutely loved it overall, was enthralled by it over the past 48 hours and it didn't disappoint. The world itself feels like both a microcosm of what Outer Wilds is doing on the whole but also reminded me a lot of Myst crossed with a Disneyland attraction. I mean that in a really good way 😄 It's one giant puzzlebox to be poked at and dismantled, but also there's a certain sense that the world is built for you to explore to discover. I think the new main way the game communicates its lore is absolutely fantastic, and it all comes together with another hugely satisfying ending. Games rarely do endings well - Outer Wilds has done two great ones now (although the base game ending is an all-timer).

The DLC does a brilliant job adding new gameplay mechanics based around exploration and experimentation, and it's amazing how many things are hidden in plain sight and will have you slapping your head when you finally find the bit of info that'll allow you to take advantage of them. It's a constant stream of 'eureka' moments. I also love how everything design-wise has the overall theme of light and projection.

Mild mechanical spoiler about my one problem with the DLC:

The only complaint I have about it is the stealth sections, which sadly I don't think work at all - they're just messy and imprecise where the rest of the game is clean and elegant.

Spoiler within a spoiler follows 😅

There are three of those stealth sections, and one actually works really well - the one where you have to wait for the first area to be flooded to access the room with all the owls. That's a clever one deeply tied into the time loop, and is a smart puzzle that gave me a real 'ahha!' moment when I figured out why a seemingly impossible task was suddenly possible. The other two are just tedious sneaking moments, done under basically absolute darkness. I didn't like them, and I turned on 'lower frights' for the last stretch of the final one and have no qualms about it.

Thankfully the game didn't end with those irritating bits, and there was thankfully a final layer of smart puzzles to figure out before I finally finished up. I had a blast with it on the whole, and it's just such a beautifully designed piece of dense, clockwork design. From the very first moment you step foot into the new world you're going to spend nearly a dozen hours in - a true 'holy ****' moment of scale and spectacle - to its excellent conclusion, this is more Outer Wilds and it totally lives up to the sizable legacy of the first game. Easily the best thing I played this year, and pretty much as good as modern video games get - well, apart from those annoying sections near the end 😁

Those 3 secret locations you get from the location in the spoiler below are really really helpful. I thought they'd just be lore but they really spell out how to complete it.

I had already stumbled onto 2 of them but don't think i would have ever found the third. The reward from exploring in this game is just superb. Other devs need to pay close attention and trust gamers to go and explore.

Alright Johnny, spill the beans.

I've looked up and stared at the different river paths went down them but can't see an easy way to the temple. I did try Enfilade's tip with the ghost matter cave and worked a treat, i must have forgotten not all ghost matter is harmful? I'm done with the temple now, won't be going back so feel free to spoil me with your rafting knowledge.

Bit fed up of the dark area. Unfortunately its taken front and center of the DLC now. I miss flying around in the ship.

I didn't read the spoilers Johnny but mentioning Myst is bang on the money. It's something that came to mind when I got into the swing of this as I'd only played Myst for the first time recently when it came to game pass. There's definitely an influence there I've no doubt.

Did anyone try to bring a you know what back to the camp fire at Timber Hearth ? One of my more desperate ideas last night.

You get an achievement thats it.

EDIT: You know you've had too many attempts at this when you set autopilot to the stranger and blindly rotate the ship on the way to within 5 or 10° +/- of the correct orientation of the hanger 😂

Haha, here’s what I did:

It took me ages to spot the branch of the river that leads behind the temple. From there you have easy access to everything. The ghost matter cave is actually incredibly simple to navigate - if you use your probe you can take pictures (they show ghost matter - a mechanic I had to recheck in the opening village as it had been a while, but which makes life much easier), and that reveals that there’s a clear, easy path through the ghost matter - think it’s the left side and and then the right. Once you know it you can travel around the area with ease.

Also, the hull breach shortcut makes it even easier to get to that area again if you’re doing the specific quests in that spot 😎

Wait a sec...

How i get up there is take the right side path, then a hard right at next opening for the hidden gorge place. Light picks up my raft and i have access to everything on that side. Is that what you're talking about or another route?

I finally got down that well, Jesus that stealth bit was annoying as hell. Got down to the last hidden archive and.... Stumped. All symbols are destroyed. I can for sure switch off one by but not the others. Back to the lake dream i think.

• Advertisement

Yep that’s it!

Took me way too long to spot the hard right. You can get easily through the ghost matter using the probe then and that gives you total access to the other side too, once you have the password you need. No need for hurling yourself across any canyons or sliver of health stuff anyway 😀 There’s also a tiny hull breach in the ship if you haven’t found it - it shows you exactly where in a slide. Enter that way and it’ll bring you right through to the top of the gorge.

As for where you are…

Vague hint

If you’ve been to the three archives and got all three ‘error reports’ in your databank you’ve every bit of info you need.

More specific hint, so very late game spoiler

The ‘no alarm’ hint had me stumped, but do what it says in the location it suggests even if it seems counter intuitive.

Advertisement