Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Circle K Clonsaugh seems like a busy charger for Dublin and I haven't seen more than 1 car queueing in over a year

If you need AC chargers it's hard to beat pavilions shopping centre. 8x 22kW AC units and 2 hours free parking. I've seen the units on level 1 full but level 3 always has a few free ones

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw it in Limerick the other day, a BEV parked at a charge point, not plugged in... Meaning no overstay charge for him/her either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Could charge at home after spending the money to do so but it's those "rangey" drives that cause the issue.

This is true, realistically you should be aiming to top up when you reach about 30-35% on a 30kWh leaf so you know you'll be able to make it to the next fast charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is this what is meant by hogging a charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

If plugged in and not charging, then yes.

Edit: reading up on Harley's since. Never knew they've been called hogs

Post edited by Busman Paddy Lasty on

Not exactly the same as hogging a charger, but I recently saw a Leaf park at the petrol pumps and the driver go into the shop for a coffee

Took hime a good 5 mins to come back out. I couldn't help but laugh, what a hero 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Should have put the petrol nozzle leaning into the Chademo port for bonus troll points!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ICE driver do that the whole time too, 9/10 there's a mini car park to use but no no good ole lazy sods will block a pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Stupid question probably but there's talk of AC chargers here. Why would there be AC chargers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To get into the semantics of things, there is no ac chargers.. there is ac charge points......

But to answer your question. There is 2 different locations that a ev can be plugged into, an AC one where it's just a fancy plug/control circuitry and the car uses it's on board charger to convert to DC (can be anywhere from 3kw to 22kw depending on the car) - the points themselves can be single phase (max 7kw) or 3 phase, (max of 22kw) - these are usually cheaper to install .

and DC where the the ac- DC conversation is done externally to the car. And these are the "fast" chargers. How fast they are will depend both on the car and the charger hardware. (These are classed as chargers as they do the conversion)

There was an Audi waiting for him to move, so I'll give him bonus points for that 😁

They seemed to leave together and there was plenty of room for the Audi to go around, so perhaps they were travelling together

Absolutey, I remember all the times I'd be fuming when someone was in the shops for 10 mins while I was waiting for the pumps

I don't do that anymore, driving an EV has taught me to be patient 🤣

(Also with home charging I've only DC charged the car a handful of times)

I will say this particular petrol station doesn't have great parking, pumps are way closer to the shop. Doesn't make it okay, but understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saw this beut of a 212 e-tron down in Kilcullen occupying 1 of the 3 spaces last week.... checked the app and all chargers were working fine.

Is this hogging, or ICE'ing? (what's the term for an EV blocking the space? BEV'ing?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

PHEV's at FCP's should be confiscated from the owner and crushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is where I think a 'minimum vend' would work at FCP's... say 15kWh or 20kWh... a figure that would be very difficult for PHEV's to take... or else just apply the 45 minute limit to the AC as well, and get medieval with it, ala Tesla... €1 per minute until you unplug.

The quick version is that EV chargers come in 2 types, AC and DC

DC charge the battery directly and are generally capable of very high power, 50kW up to 350kW (there's even talk of 450kW ones coming). These are the kind of chargers you'd use on a long journey to charge the battery up as quickly as possible

AC chargers just send AC electricity from the grid into the car. The car has an onboard charger which converts this to DC and charges the battery. The power from the charger is lower, usually max of 22kW from the charger but most cars can only take 7-11kW

While everyone likes to see DC chargers installed, they're a lot more expensive and depending on the situation they might not be the best option. For example in a public car park, the cars are likely to be there for several hours, so an ultra fast DC charger is a bit of a waste.

AC chargers are basically a glorified socket, so in this case it might make more sense to install several AC chargers rather than a single DC charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Shame can be a strong motivatoir, what if charge points gave a low but constant chime or recorded warning to highlight vehicles occupying a space but not charging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we clearly need to flood the country with charge points, some hogging certainly is arsehole behavior, but sometimes, people actually dont have other options, its either do it, or have no power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you're parked there and not charging (electric or phev) you are hogging. If you are ICEing it you are a díckhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

He's paying the charge, Where's your issue.

Can't demand more chargers then throw a fit when people use them.

Oh yes, ESB is making a whopping €1 per hour off that guy. Great use of public infrastructure

Meanwhile any EVs that come along get their charging speed dropped by half because the AC plug takes away 22kW even if it's only using 3kW

Because its a FCP/High Speed Chargers are being ridiculously underutilized by someone that doesnt really need it. Then you have people that need to use them waiting on them. Seen one of them pull out their 3 pin cable trying to plug it in at a FCP before. The ignorance of these people is limitless.

PHEV's shouldnt be allowed on them, most dont even know that they only have 3.7kW charger and need 4 hours to charge it. Whats 45 mins max @ 3.7 really going to save them vs a BEV that has no choice but to wait for these fools?

Confiscated and Crushed!

To follow on from that I see some hotels and train stations now have 22kW chargers installed, would 7kW chargers (especially if you can fit more of them) not make more sense at these locations or are they trying to future proof themselves? I'd think the standard 2X22kW chargers makes less sense than 6X7kW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭cannco253

I was at Killashee hotel 2 weekends ago.

2 Easygo chargers provided and was able to draw 11kW into the car. Great to see and worked perfectly. There are also 2 3 pin sockets below the Easygo chargers.

There was a Tesla on the other side of the charger - it was plugged into the 3 pin socket, left there from Saturday afternoon at 3pm until Sunday afternoon 2pm. Is this considered hogging or just being clever?

Access to more chargers has to be the way forward, agree 6x7kW is better for all.

Post edited by cannco253 on

Definitely for hotels, 7kW or 11kW would make more sense

Somebody doing a daily commute to Dublin park at the red cow or a train station somewhere and charge up over 7-9 hours on a 7kW charger...

Would make a lot of people switch to electric very very fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't agree with this. If someone has a plug in car, I figure they are entitled to 45 mins as much as you are.

You say, what are they going to save but I could make the argument that you should have bought a phev in case you couldn't find a charger.

If the charger is there and they are allowed access it, it's all good in my book.

If in a few years, if the very latest cars are twice as fast to charge on some super charge point, should today's EVs then be ashamed to drive up and plug in?

I think the EV that plugs in all day on the street charge point outside our local council office is a disgrace. People here said that's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The problem I have seen with Phev's is that there are many who don't install a home charge point and then utilise destination or even rapids. A phev without a home charger is a wrong use case.

You see common sense in a car with a full tank of fuel taking 45mins to put ~10% into a battery. I'd call it brain dead and it should be weeded out

I think there should be overstay fees of some description on slow chargers aswell. Most cases, people could move their cars but are just lazy and again, its behaviour that should be weeded out.

Eventually, the ESB will see that this laziness & underutilization of resources is costing them money and pricing/penalties will increase trying to force more customers to home charging at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

"Entitled"...

Worst word in the English language at times.

Cyclists - but we're entitled to drive in the middle of the lane 4 abreast.

PHEVs - but we're entitled to charge at 3kW on a 50kW charger.

Entitled to do something doesn't mean you should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

Yes but you don't run over the cyclists unless rage gets the better of you. Nor you'd key or damage ones car for parking in the wrong spot. We're better than that.

With the PHEVs charging at AC side of 50kW triples I think it is ecars fault. They could have block charging one phase only cars from the software thus making sure the charger is used as intended. If there are only guidelines without enforcement it is kinda pointless. Maybe is the age but for me just the word penalty makes me think I broke a rule which brings down the guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The typical phev might only have 30 miles ev range so there there is reasoning in wanting to stick it on charge on the street.

You might say it will only get about 10 miles out of 45 mins on charge but that could be €2.50 if done on petrol driving home.

I don't blame anyone who say pops in for dinner, tops up on electricity and drives home.

I don't have a phev but will be getting one.

What the story currently. Is it still free to use the slow chargers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭vintcerf

Nope, 26.8c/kWh on a slow charger

There's a big difference between PHEVs using an AC charge point and a DC one. With an AC, there's another socket that a car can use at full power

With the DC chargers, in many cases the DC side will be reduced by 50% even though the AC is only using a fraction of that. If you think that's poor design, then we agree on something. Unfortunately that's what we're stuck with for now

And with a PHEV, you've the choice of using the petrol engine to avoid those annoying charging stops en route. That's the whole selling point of them as I recall

Meanwhile the poor BEV driver who has no choice of where to charge is only getting 25kW and will take twice as long to charge. This is assuming they can get at the charger, a lot of the time the cables don't reach to both spaces. Again, poor design, but that's what we've got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

We got rid of our L24 because trips around the country over the last 2 summers have been so frustrating with the charging network. We got an Ioniq PHEV a month ago and to be honest I just wouldn't bother using a public charging point with it. It gets plugged in overnight in the driveway and that sorts us for most of the driving the following day. The longer journeys have been covered with the ICE that's it. If I drive down the country for a day trip I'm not going to look for a charger just to charge the car while I wander around town, the reason that we got a PHEV was to get away from all of that.

ESB standard chargers are not free to use anymore. Currently per 26.8c/kWh on the PAYG tariff.

https://esb.ie/ecars/price-plans/pay-as-you-go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

A PHEV is a perfect car for someone to buy that has home charging, charge it daily and try get as much use as possible out of the battery but surely the whole benefit of one is that when you are out and about you dont need to charge, it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

so a gen 1 leaf cant use a public charger then if its chadmo is broken?

what about the rav4 phev with 18 kwh battery?

what about the bmw x5 phev, 24kwh battery in that.

what about somone that need to have a short 9kwh charge to get home?

you cant demand a better charging infrastructure, then complane when people use it, demand more chargers.

Or feeling you're entitled to use a public charging point over another because your car can charge faster.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

There was a charger at red cow hotel. Has not worked in years. There was a charger at red cow Luas, removed as not working.

Ionity has car parked sensors in each of their bays in Ireland so they can tell if charge point is blocked. They really need a barrier in Cashel as it's regularly blocked.

We really need a tow away system for all charge points. and as said 6 or more charge points on each AC outlet in public. There was tow away/clamping in Blancharstown, which they stopped after complaints. Probably busiest charge point in the country. Clonshaugh has clamping or tow away. I would not expect massive queues as there are other alternative chargers in range, but I have often seen one car queueing and more probably go elsewhere. I have my common public chargers set up as favourites on the ESB app and I skip charge points that are in use, particularly if the charge started recently, so while you may not see a queue, a busy charger causes people to divert. I tend not to queue, unless I am on 'fumes'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Whats an average bill per month for electricity for an EV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I know someone who drives just 2km's from home to the charge point at the train station and then walks to work from there.

She never steps foot on the train and has no problem with hogging one of the just the 2 or 3 charge points even when on full charge (minus the 2km drive) 5 days a week for 8-10 hours at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭cannco253

Never heard the term "Grazing" before

Why is there a minimum charge?

The Evolve public network was installed in 2013 and as EVs have become more popular we have received numerous complaints from EV drivers who cannot access charge points due to ‘grazing’. Grazing occurs when an EV driver has a full battery but leaves their car on the charger, blocking others who may need a charge. The minimum charge is intended to encourage only those drivers who need a significant charge to connect. The minimum charge also contributes to fixed costs associated with charging sessions, such as credit card and partner fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Someone needs to issue a clamping contract to catch this kind of carryon. Soon dampen her enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement
Advertisement