Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Irish travellers community

Options
  • 30-09-2021 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

We need one not just to trash talk but for the more civilized of my community to actually be heard and to defend and explain them selves and answer questions and for people to actually get a answers from the main source not just a line of random Joes on the street spreading rumors and lies and hate speeches.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irish2021traveller

Trying to request a forum option. Is this the right way to do it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Strictly speaking, no, it's not. A member has to have been a member for a minimum of three months, with at least 50 posts, before they can request the creation of a new forum. You meet the posts criteria, but not the time one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would love to see this - really tired of seeing travellers trashed on boards without any real consequence or opposition. Not a traveller myself and or have any real interaction with traveller community, but its just something I think has been a black mark for boards in recent years.

+1....

This would have my full support as well.

Internet is the primary contemporary communication medium and boards.ie is Ireland's premiere forum (by the proverbial country-mile.... and then some).

Travelers vs settled community have a massive communication rift as it stands, and if such a forum was popularized, I believe it would go a long way to bringing both sides to light as to the basis of one another's cultures.

And that is sorely needed.

Actually a forum like this is long overdue, and an alternate home such as a place like reddit is far less localized, theoretically possible but almost certainly wouldn't gain the same traction as it would here.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

A great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I would like to propose a forum for Irish Travellers similar to that which already exists for LGBT people.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

+ 1

A good idea for a forum this.

Is this negative 1 as to the motivation, or for the forum itself?

You haven't made that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A good idea.

It can be used by travellers to discuss issues within there community.(I'm not sure if there's a lot on here).

Also every so often there are threads created about travellers when they pop up in the media.

These things can be discussed and facts, etc should be welcome.

There should be no generalising or slang language tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This point stood out to me in the original request too tbh.

That said, I'd support the creation of a forum for this. Integration begins with communication and understanding. Lots of the issues raised regarding Traveller community quickly descend to whataboutery and snide claims.

I would have concerns that the current crippled mod tools and broken quoting system will detail any discussion as much as any prejudice will.

That said, it's a +1 from me as it does need discussion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A separate request will be submitted, in line with Forum request rules, in due course

This thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement