Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

With all the talk of police wearing bodycams, and covid certs that can be scanned instantly for authenticity, I wonder if you might ever see something similar with police ID documents in the future?

If this guy had to wear a bodycam when on official police duty, and his warrant card could be scanned by anyone with a police app on your phone before being arrested to check if he was legit, it could prevent something like this in the future.

I know this guy was legit, and his ID would have checked out in that scenario. But it would have also stopped him attempting this because there would be a record of this arrest taking place stored on a database and on this woman's phone / mobile network etc.

Just a thought that popped into my head. Even if you can't spot a killer easily, you can make it much harder for someone to pull off what this guy did again in the future.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It was brazen, and either practiced or expertly planned out.

He had the hazards on and cameras from two buses, a refuse lorry, and a marked police car picked up him 'arresting' her.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If this guy had to wear a bodycam when on official police duty, and his warrant card could be scanned by anyone with a police app on your phone before being arrested to check if he was legit, it could prevent something like this in the future.

"Sorry officer but you can't arrest me because my app isn't working right just now."

Joking aside, it wouldn't be a practical/workable solution though. Imagine the uproar if a criminal was allowed walk away because the officer's card wouldn't scan) only to commit a worse crime

An ex cop in a regular prison? I reckon he'll spend the rest of his life in jail, but the term may not be for very long.

He will be isolated from the main prison for his own safety. He will spend most of his worthless life alone - hopefully he is not able to take his own life as that would deny justice for Sarah's family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

He apparently strangled her with his police belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Yeah, it's possibly not a great solution. Just a quick thought that popped into the old noggin!

But something similar that could give the location and activities of police when on duty - so they can't just go off radar and go rogue like this guy. The bodycam footage is stored by police departments like cctv footage, for future evidence. There is tonnes of technology that might be able to stop someone doing this in the future.

Certain things might not be workable for undercover type police activities etc. But if you are flashing your ID around and arresting people on a busy street, I don't see why those activities can't be tracked and stored in a database and/or camera footage. Technology is really a big part of what caught this guy. And sharp police work too.

We shouldn't forget the good police out there catching these guys.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's cases like this where I feel our prison system isn't fit for purpose.

This man is pure evil.

I think in cases like this, the family should have an option to be left alone in a room with the murderer for a few hours... and whatever happens is legal.

Sitting in a prison cell watching TV, reading books, and getting free meals is not the correct punishment for this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

He must have known that something would be picked up or someone would have remembered seeing an arrest of a young woman on what looked like a busy-ish road during lockdown. He even rented the car in his own name. It seems a bit reckless on his part in that way, maybe his first and only time to go ahead and live out this fantasy he has probably had for a while and to hell with the consequences. Or maybe his big ego thought he'd be able to explain it away which would lead you to think what else has he explained away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

He made some attempts to do so already. Hopefully he will not be able to.

• Advertisement

It would be better to throw a police belt into the room and let him kill himself.

It would save the hundreds of thousands to keep him locked up for decades.

Better for his family too, he has caused a lot of suffering for them too.

The world would be a better place without him in it.

So you think he should not live through a punishment but rather a relatively quick death? That's not justice for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Was there any belief that the wife was in on it too?

Reported today on Sky News that “Experts” are saying this isn’t the first time he’s done something like this as he was too organised and should be investigated for other crimes

i would have thought renting a car in your own name to carry out the crime was anything but, organised- certainly premeditated but that’s about it. There are tons of cameras- traffic and other sorts, throughout the UK- way more so than Ireland- whatever lies within him to carry out such a gruesome act, I don’t think its something that makes him a sort of master criminal - it’s as if he had lost complete touch with reality- when these events happen it always gives pause to just how rotten human beings can be, and we’ll never get an explanation or cause no less cure, as to why some human beings do these horrible things.

That makes some sort of sense, I suppose it will come out eventually if he was involved in any other similar crimes in the past other than the ones we already know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@[Deleted User]

An explanation why people do these things? Because they want to.

A lot of people have fantasies and desires that most people would regard as “sick”. The decision to cross the line lies with the individual.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I reckon they should dig up that patch of land he owns. He's admitted using sex workers who are often by nature transient so it's not a stretch to think that it's possible there are prior victims not yet linked to him.

It's pretty tricky to rent a car with a fake name - you need to produce a drivers licence, a credit card and your insurance policy unless you want to pay the extortionate fee to go on the car hire company's insurance. Getting fakes would be tricky - getting good fakes at least. Transferring of insurance is done by the hire company calling the insurer so it has to be a valid policy at the time otherwise the insurer will just tell them it's a cancelled/invalid policy. So it probably was something he had to take a calculated risk on.

No, better to remove him from the face of the earth,he will be applying to work in the prison and earn points to qualify for further education.

Best if he was put down but we are too civilised to do that so next best thing is to let him do away with himself.

I would rather he died in terror like his poor victim though, imagine his ugly mug was the last thing she saw bwefore she died.

These men are wired differently and there is no trying to undestand the evil they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

A truly frightening case.

Poor woman. RIP. Thank God this guy will never see another day of freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Completely. They need to do an in depth search now. This can't have been his first murder? Incredible to think he had a nickname like he did... Makes it sound like a serious element to him was laughed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

where does this come from he's isolated, not mixing with the general prison population? is it part of the verdict? seems odd, why should/(is?) one scum be isolated from the other scum? very expensive too. if it's true, is it a british thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

It will probably be that way as he is an ex policeman and high profile.

read up on psychopathy/psychopaths, there are some good books out there which gives very good insights you won't never get without reading up on it specifically and just trying to find answers for yourself. It also lessens the anger, outrage and disbelief you feel, because it's really a condition, something different (not) working in their brains.

Kevin Dutton for example, actually from the UK. Finished it just a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So f*cked up this case, as others have said when she realised he wasn't taking her to a station - can you imagine the fear !!?

and I think he drove her 80miles away - all that time to think, jesus christ, imagine arriving at a dark field knowing what's gonna happen.

I hope this proves to be untrue and he gets the real treatment from his prison mates, some of his own medicine as somebody else mentioned already. Makes him see how that tastes.

And that’s exactly why the flashing incidents should have been investigated properly,this was a red flag.

He was also reported for driving around naked from the waist down.

If he had been fired he wouldn’t have had the police ID which threw Sarah off guard, she had lived in London for twelve years so would have been street wise.

A full report into his background needs to be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Ideally he'd be tortured for the rest of his miserable life. If he could be flayed but kept alive for years and years in absolute agony that would be marvelous. That said, I'd happily put a bullet behind his ear and sleep like a baby after doing so. He's a worthless piece of s**t. I'm just so sad for that girl and her family.

agree, should have been investigted, but I doubt it would have prevented him from committing a horrendous murder eventually, it would have just been a different woman on a different day in probably different circumstances. Or even not different circumstances, as mentioned already, he could have easily forged his police ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

While I appreciate Dutton’s efforts, and some of his work, I find it troublesome that it is used as a manual by which to “recognise” and diagnose by the general public.

Labelling on the basis of a book alone is like clutching at straws.

Advertisement