Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

"Seems to be true" about the writing? No it doesn`t. That`s just what he says he was up to. There is no corroborating evidence for that. In fact when one of Jules`s daughters came in at 2-30 am there was no sign of him. She presumably assumed he was in bed.

"He reached for his heavy black coat".....no actual evidence for that either, unless you believe Marie Farrell. Oh wait, no evidence at all for it because she says it wasn`t him now.

"6 or 7 km walk?"......A piece of cake for him. Testimony of a former neighbour Brian Jackson at the libel trial......."He had a reputation for walking at night with his thinking stick. It was a big branch of a stick. He would mostly go out at night or in the early morning". Of course he could have just driven there.

Coffee with a smile....an interesting one this. It would be interesting to know if Jules woke up to coffee in bed every morning. If it was every morning, then he had a routine that he knew was important for him to keep. If it was a one-off, then it takes on the equivalence of the guilt of the philandering husband who buys his wife the rare bouquet of flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

I think the investigators may have missed a key bit of forensics in all this. They state that nothing was found but I wonder if they knew at the time that her bath had been used or did that only come out after the forensic team were finsihed and the housekeeper gave her statement. Even if it was a full year before her murder when the bath was last used by the intruder, in real terms that may only have been 3 baths ago. What i'm getting at it that whenever anyone takes a bath there are always stray hairs that get washed away. If forensics knew that detail about her bath being used the pipework under the plughole could have been searched for hairs and small flakes of skin etc. No doubt some would have been there. I don't know for sure but i'd say they missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

This I find very strange. You would imagine the trip to the dump would have been low down on Shirleys priorities after discovering her neighbours murdered body. Very odd behaviour that someone could continue with their day after such a shock. Not normal behaviour in such a situation - Shirley must be hard as nails to be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Coopcrow

Could you share a link to the video of those screenshots, please?

They definitely should have been persons of interest initially, it's hard to see how they could not. I have never heard anything to suspect them though. The link with Leo Bolger seems to be the main thing, and initially, I was suspicious. But Leo Bolger told a lawyer, during the libel trial if I remember correctly, about Bailey being introduced to Sophie many years before his drugs conviction. That lawyer confirmed it, as per the West Cork podcast.

Did we ever get confirmation if Sophie's backdoor would swing shut? Would the door shut itself or did someone have to close it?

Why would they leave rubbish in the car if they were responsible and it had incriminating evidence? Why ring the guards and only dispose of it 4 hours later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

It wouldn't be interesting to know any more about Jules than she'd wish people to know but that doesn't appear to bother people like you who are convinced of something that, to the vast majority of reasonable people who seriously engage with this case, is fantasy and fiction.

In the DPP's first report the truthfulness of Ian and Jules is accepted while there is scepticism with regard to a lot of witness statements, with one journalist euphemistically called a liar. This is from an office that is well practised in reviewing Garda investigations.

You apply the logic of the investigation to everyone involved. Alfie, Shirley, Leo, Bill, whoever and up until it doesn't suit Marie are 100% truthful. Bailey, every word he utters is a lie, while Jules has been living in terror of him for 25 years. But I don't believe you are that dim. You must have some vested interest in the framing of Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

True. Perhaps she knew the local gardai wouldnt check her car. What was the urgency on getting rid of the rubbish - Surely it could have waited or she could have asked someone else to take it. Shirley made sure she had it well gone before the 'the big boy gardai came down from Dublin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

That's actually a great point.

There is **** all chance the keystone cops took those samples though.

I can hear Dwyer now "ahhhh shhhuurreeee dont wee know who did it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

when Jules's daughter came home the car was there so u can't have it both ways - that she didn't see him and that he drove

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, as the partner of the prime suspect in a murder case, Jules should be a bit more forthcoming. Twenty independent witnesses gave testimony at the libel trial that contradicted Bailey`s version of events. I`m just of the opinion that this should have went to trial. I have no interest in framing anyone.

This is another of those details where things are not so clear. Some accounts say Shirley's reason for going to Schull was to do some last minute shopping. The fantasy writer Sheridan says it was to dump some rubbish. What if going to the dump was mentioned in hindsight just in case anybody had seen her there?

If a person had incriminating evidence they would have to take a chance or the game would be up. Somehow there is a contradiction between the person being deeply traumatised by something in the morning carrying on with their tasks that afternoon like it was just another day.

Thanks a mil for the link. 👍️

How would she know that the guard wouldn't check the car? It was murder, a lot of guards are coming to the scene. If something had to have been hidden by Alfie and/or Shirley, they would have hid that before any guards came. The idea that 1) both were aware of the killing and rang the guards with incriminating evidence in the car or 2) Alfie alone was aware, why would he let Shirley take the rubbish if he knew she'd come upon Sophie on the laneway? It doesn't make sense to me.

Alfie and Shirley's behavior at the scene isn't indicative of any guilt IMO. That doesn't mean they should be discounted, I agree they should have been investigated. But nothing that happened at the scene indicates any guilt. They did not act like people with something to hid or were aware of any knowledge of the crime.

Also, Alfie said he was 90% sure of introducing Ian to Sophie. If he wants to be part of framing Ian, which there is no evidence of, why not say 100%. The 90% seems like someone who is trying to be helpful with info he has rather than finger-pointing at one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's exactly it, spot on.

Both Alfie and Shirley must have known way more than they've been saying. The police not investigating them properly only points to further police incompetence, or even corruption. But all this is no proof of anything, just a deduction, one of many.

In regards to the days prior to the murder it's not uncommon not to notice everything in minute detail as a neighbour. Alfie and Shirley will also have to have been out, done shopping, going maybe hiking etc... It's not that both were with their binoculars behind the window with intent of watching Sophie's every move, or maybe they were....

I've already told you that the fact that it didn't go to trial is highly regrettable, as it would have been a comedy. The Guards served up a dog's dinner to the DPP knowing it would be thrown in the bin, which was the outcome they most likely really wanted. They were being disingenuous telling us they believed it had a chance of securing conviction. Just like you're being.

90% means he doesn't have to have any details of what was said which might sound a bit incredible. Best say that my recollection is really vague. I don't have much experience of how people react around murder scenes. It appears the best thing a perpetrator of a crime can say is that they didn't hear or see a thing. Wish I could help.

If someone had incriminating evidence, the last thing they would do is call the Gardaí before they disposed of it.

Is that right Sherlock. If, hypothetically, they had a murder weapon like a poker or an axe and wanted to get rid of it very far away, would they have driven out before notifying the Guards of the body?

That`s my point exactly Watson. Have you some evidence that they did drive out before calling the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

They wouldn't have been able to get past the body given the way it lay in the laneway. So they were hemmed in with regards the car.

The car may have been the ideal place to hide evidence - the house would be more likely to be searched than the car - they could have took a risk on this. The inexperienced gardai that arrived on the scene wouldnt have had a clue what to do. The problem would have been getting the rubbish out so getting it away from the house before reporting the murder would have been ideal - she would have had to pass the body and therefore would have had to report it before disposing of the rubbish. Putting the rubbish in the car could have been genius. The rubbish was long gone before anyone experienced detectives/forensics etc arrived at the scene ( she was supposedly back on the road before 2pm). They would just see Shirley as the unfortunate woman who found the body and not a suspect. The focus would have been on the body not on Shirleys car.

There is also the possibility that there was a guard involved in this and she was told exactly what to do and ensured the car would not be checked.

Im not saying Alfie and Shirley were involved - Im just speculating - being honest I dont think they were involved. Whats amazes me in this case is the high number of people in the locality who behaved oddly around the time of this murder.

The car and rubbish for the dump was most definitely searched, apparently its in the statements according to those that have seen them.

Only a fool would call the Gardaí to the scene if they had incriminating evidence in their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

You can change the subtitles from French to auto -translate to English by clicking settings;

Below is also a good link for photographs of house/crimescene etc;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

No they weren't. The body was not blocking the lane. In fact it's said in one of the documentaries that Shirley had driven past it before she stopped the car, because she didn't immediately realise what she had seen.

Also the fact that we know Shirley drove out later that day, even though the body wasn't moved until the following day, demonstrates that a car could pass. She may have even had to drive past it again going back to the house after being out later in the afternoon.

Which is all very odd, you'd imagine the trauma caused by seeing that scene would make you want to stay far away from it, not go about your business and deliberately drive past it again very shortly afterwards. But who are we to explain what goes on in the mind of someone having experienced such trauma.

Would love to know what the people Shirley interacted with that afternoon when she was out and about had to say about her demeanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kerry_man15

Not necessarily. They could be spotted while out and about and then how do you explain driving past the body and not reporting it? Or explain what you were doing at the dump...would look immediately suspect. Or someone else may discover the body in the meantime, how then do you explain leaving and passing the body on the way out?

Weigh up the risks. Incriminating evidence in your car that is almost certainly going to be searched by Gardaí at the scene versus driving out to dispose of the evidence in darkness. It wouldn`t have to be the dump.

Irish Times Friday Jan 3rd 1997.

"There was still no sign of a blunt weapon used first to repeatedly strike the French woman around the upper body and head. Sgt Horgan said gardai had extended the search area around the house."

One has to ask if this wasn't the missing poker from the house. Whoever used it had to get rid of it and if hidden well enough in a car it wouldn't be found.

It could well be the reason the murderer wanted to go back in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would they have to get rid of the poker if it came from the cottage? Why not just wipe the prints and leave it by the body?

Unless they'd been hit with it and were worried their blood was on it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement