Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sorry, looks like I was. Its the building regulations that do not apply, not the planning act.

Happy to correct the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭salonfire

And the 1% you accused the owners of misrepresentating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure you can describe it as "modest". Your typical 4-5 bed detached home is about 160 sq.m.

Like I said before, I am all for the government providing assistance here. There is a moral obligation on the state to ensure all citizens have reasonable access to appropriate housing. And I would include this in such an obligation, given how many people are completely out of pocket on it. But note the words "reasonable" and "appropriate" that I use.

Fair enough if someone has six young kids and is stuck raising them in a small house. But if you're a couple 50+ with no kids at home, looking to have your 5-bed, 6 bath 250sqm house rebuilt completely, then that's an unreasonable request. This is a request for assistance from the state. The state does not owe these people redress.

Yes, it's a sh1t and unfair situation to be in, but life's not fair. We all have to accept what comes our way and deal with it rather than expect to be completely bailed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

it's fairly obvious that you don't own a house that has mica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree 100%. 350k is more than generous. There are very few properties for sale in Donegal for over 350k.

From a taxpayer point of view, it might be better to build a number of housing estates in villages and offer relocation to those. Would also enhance village life.

A 5-bed, 6 bath, 250sqm home? That's not typical. In fact that's probably in single figures out of the thousands of homes affected. Would you even fit five bedrooms with ensuites into 250sqm house?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-tirconail-house-ardgillew-ballyshannon-co-donegal/3265482

My point is that 250 sq.m. is a huge property whether it has five beds or two. It is not reasonable to expect assistance from the state to build a house that is far in excess of what you need.

As someone raising a family in a 100sq.m. house who would be over the moon to have 150sq.m., I have a pretty keen insight on how much space you actually need. I'm not saying the state should pay for all these people to move into tiny shoeboxes, but there has to be limit.

40% of the qualifying houses are 280sqm or greater if I'm reading your post earlier correctly

Who are you to dictate what people need? If I got the rumoured €350k, it would probably cover my demolition and reconstruction. It wouldn't cover rent (even though there's nowhere to rent), storage costs, continuing mortgage payments, etc., etc.

• Advertisement

AFAIK those are the details from around 500 or so people that completed a questionnaire for the working group.

The proposal is for €350k as well as rent, storage and other ancillary cost.

It's actually pretty easy to work out what people need for a house to function as a home. The local authorities do it all the time.

Can you link to the proposal please? I haven't seen it.

Means and needs tests have always been part of the conditions of government assistance. The state isn't compensating here but providing grant aid assistance. It's an important distinction since one implies wrongdoing on the part of the state.

While a rare example, asking the state to reconstruct a 5 bed house that has only two people living in it in my opinion goes well beyond reasonable and places an unacceptable level burden on the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Family home aside, why should the state compensate anyone whose investment property is falling apart?

Wait, a minute. Why would you want funding to cover continuing mortgage payments? You borrowed money to buy a house, you are getting it rebuilt for free from the State, why should the State also cover your continuing mortgage payments?

That is some sense of entitlement.

Ah seriously? I wouldn't want funding to cover continuing mortgage payments. I didn't say that I did. I was demonstrating the hardship that people are going to face throughout this whole scandal. This 'free money' shíte is a load of nonsense. People will, under the current scheme, be paying rent (if they can find somewhere) as well as a mortgage. Can't you understand how completely unaffordable that is for so many people? Entitlement me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely though if the houses are built to current standards and they obviously have to be for compliance purposes. Wouldn't that make them more valuable for one and far lower cost to own and run per year than what the replace. Meaning the net cost or so called unaffordability is negated.

There's somewhat a delusion here if anyone thinks 350k isn't a significant amount of money for home building. End result an A rated new build home which by all accounts will outlast the replacement.

The government could have said that they will put them on the housing list, just like everyone else who doesn't own a home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The slogan - '100% redress' is a good slogan. Anyone affected would agree with that.

It gets those who have a mica problem to join the shout and demand 'full' redress. However, no definition of 100% redress is given as there are clearly hard cases, difficult cases, reasonable cases, and then the chancers and the free loaders.

There has to be an upper limit, plus there must be contributions from the banks who hold the mortgages as they stand to lose otherwise. Those that caused the faulty blocks should be pursued.

What is reasonable is drowned out by the shouts of '100% redress'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

True. And the truly bad cases are lumped in with the half , portionally and investment rental cases. All one noisey banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can someone explain to me why are the Government accountable to this redress?

Maybe I'm completely naive here but I want to know why is my tax money possible going this this redress, are the government at the time responsible for building these houses with mica?

The government are accountable because there is no one else with the pockets deep enough. That's the simple reality. Legally, the State have no case to answer.

Soooooo, because the suppliers supplied inferior products, the taxpayer must carry the can? Not on your Nelly. The buck stops with the supplies. Not me and other taxpayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He ain’t wrong, it’s an established legal principle that, for want of a better term, you work back until you come to someone who can afford to pay! You may disagree and many do (myself included) but it’s just the way it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The bottom line is you picked the wrong developer. You weren't done over by the Government, or the taxpayer.

You were done over by the builders and their suppliers who carried out construction on the cheap.

The Government aren't responsible for this.

If you do get compensated via taxpayers money, in my opinion this is the wrong decision. I don't pay out 50% of my income to fix builders shoddy work. Especially builders I haven't hired.

I need my PAYE to be spent in the correct manner. Not as a slush fund for correcting builders mistakes.

In my own industry, when things o wrong blame turns out to be a fairly fluid thing. Funnily enough, it usually lands on the individual with the best insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

If you go onto the 100% redress page on Facebook you will learn more about this. Most of the houses were built using direct labour. The quarries and the overseeing of regulations are to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Families tried to sue they block manufacturers, and they were told that they weren't insured. The 100% redress page on fb has alot of stories about all the hurdles the families have encountered. If only it was as easy as suing someone. Unfortunately, not.

• Advertisement

They will be built to the old standards unless you pay for an upgrade to the new standards.

Advertisement