Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea use to deal with all the multiples in a previous life. Dunnes abs Tesco were absolute disgrace. Everything down to cents. Change their minds. Put suppliers under severe pressure . No loyalty.

I would never darken a Dunnes stores even since.

supervalu we’re ok but following the trend in later years.

Lidl and Aldi were tough negotiations but one the deal was done they honoured the contract 100% and everything paid on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Looking at the news lately in relation to importing peat for horticultural use and now the looming energy crisis this winter i can now see where a saying i often heard in Oz came from "its a bit f#ckin Irish isnt it".

At least the fuel shortage in the UK is due to an ignorant majority voting for Brexit, whereas here weve a group of ginnets running the show that will crack under slight pressure from a fairly vocal mimority.

And then its suggested well have a bank holiday to coincide with thanksgiving, why not give us a bank holiday in January to celebrate Australia Day too 🙄 have we no sense of pride left in the country at all, surely theres something else to be celebrated here.

Cant but wonder over here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭DBK1

The abrupt end of the peat production will definitely go down as one of the stupidest decisions ever made by an Irish government. And anyone that thinks it’s helping the environment knows nothing about the environment and even less about what’s actually powering this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How much environmental damage is been hidden with the hauling of peat from other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I was thinking similar yesterday regarding Data centers, encouraged to save the environment and trees by going paperless and then to hear of the massive amountd of energy needed for cooling the servers. OK if renewable el plants were up and running - whenever that will be !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Each one the equivalent of a town like kilkenny and there's going to be over 100 of them shortly. Dairy farmers wanna hold onto them generators

At the very least those affected by job losses in the peat industry should be at the ports protesting loudly.

It’s ridiculous what’s going on. Hauliers can’t keep the peat drew out of Dublin port. 3,500 to 4,000 ton at a time coming in on ships.

For anyone here that knows of anyone working or living around money point, the biggest coal burning power station in the country, ask them what all the staff who got redundancy from the plant a year ago when it was shutting down are doing now? I can tell you they were all asked to come back working in it because it’s going flat out 7 days a week now burning imported coal to make up for the loss of the peat factories. A lot of lads that got good redundancy packages are now back working in their full time jobs on full wages again and got to keep all their redundancy money. More power to them for getting that luxury for themselves but it goes to show the stupidity of the government decisions.

And all just to hold onto a few town and city votes from poorly educated people that think they’re saving the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

There is alot of Irish jokes in Oz. The funny thing is we just embraced the racism and called them Kerry man jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have bord na mona dismantled shannonbridge yet i wonder, it needs to be reopened ASAP, if not, I still can't get my head around what planet finna fail and fine geal are on, they have destroyed their rural voting base the past two years with their environmental bulls**t if the lights start going out in the Midlands this winter I wouldn't like to be a td canvassing come next election time, good chance they will be hung and quartered

• Advertisement

No, neither Shannonbridge or Lanesborough have been dismantled yet. There’s rumours among BNM staff that there have been engineers in looking at them to see what it would take to get them running again if needed. The maintenance and upkeep done on them was minimal enough in the past few years they were working as it was always suspected the close was coming soon.

The bigger problem is BNM only have a limited supply of peat which is being kept for briquettes so if they were to start them up again the peat would have to be shipped in from abroad in the short term.

You’d have to think there’s no way that could pay but they can’t let the lights go out either so there could be no choice.

The more information that comes out on it all the more idiotic the people making the decisions look. And as I said earlier it was all to keep a few votes from a minority of sheltered city people that think it’s trendy to try and save the planet when they know nothing about how every electrical item they use on a daily basis is powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

I'm not sure of how accurate this is but a friend of mine mentioned to me recently that the recent good weather affected the output from wind turbines adding pressure on the fossil fuel burners to keep the grid powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I heard there is a ship in Dublin port with 2 generators hooked up to the grid to keep the cities power level up to cope with all the data centers set up within the capital. The people in the know are predicting the power requirement for these centers could reached 70% of the countries power consumption. If we don't conform to their demands then the big multinationals will pull the pin and go elsewhere. Some mess then.

15% less power has been produced year to date from wind/solar compared to last year

You'd be talking needed hundreds of 1000's of tons, a million tons roughly each was what they where using, maybe biomass could be used, but of course the forestry sector has been hopped too by the sitting government, along with this the planning process for most renewables is taking years and don't even mention a.d plants you can't be having those, I'd just love to know where do our esteemed judges who are simultaneously shutting down peat plants to save the environment while denying planning for renewables think the power is going to come from?

Breaking.

Couzens has received a "Whole of Life" sentence.

Yea I’d imagine it would have to be mainly biomass, until next summer at least, and then they could harvest more Irish peat! I can’t see it happening but sometimes needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Within a mile of me there's a farmer has a planning application for a €500m developement for a energy park fed by natural gas for data centre, be interesting to see will they pull it off, also BNM is planning another energy park within three miles of here using wind and solar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Knowing Sweet FA about cryptocurrency and mining, maybe someone here might be able to enlighten me. I have a 20kw hydro turbine that runs steady all year round and most of the output is sold back to the grid at approx 5.5 pence per Kw. The only things connected to this turbine are a sheep house and domestic dwelling. The sheep house has a few lights in it and a bit of electric use when using clippers or something like that, no welders or anything. The house has low energy use as it's well insulated and geothermal heats the underfloor heating.

This leaves quite a bit of spillage back to the grid, about 150,000 Kwh per year. Electricity prices are rising and hitting around 19pence per Kw at present. Would there be any opportunity to either install a few mainframe computers into a shed and let them run for people to mine for bitcoin or less energy hungry coins or let people put in their own computers into the shed and charge them for electric at say 18pence per Kw for example.

How much energy or power do these things use on a daily basis, or is 20Kw even too small for something like that? I'm under no contractual obligation to send anything back to the grid, I can utilise all electricity generated on farm/home if I wish. Just another random thought, but if anyone had an idea if this is a potential runner or not I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I have my personal PC setup to mine when I'm not using it. Every 4 hours or so I'll get paid a bitcoin %, usually equates to around 80c for every 4 hours (assuming the rig is mining all that time).

Lets say I turn it on and let it mine for a full 24 hours. I'll be paid out roughly around €4.80 per day, which fluctuates due to the price of bitcoin. It's power usage is 220W, or 0.22kWh. I think the electricity price is around 19c/kWh. Therefore my electricity cost for the 24 hours would be 0.19x24x0.22 (unit price x 24 hours x daily power usage). Or €1 approx per day.

The power usage (220W) depends on the setup. I've a powerful GPU (Nvidia RTX 3080) and it's tuned for mining when mining. Lots of mining rigs would have multiple GPUs, each drawing different power amounts depending on model and the tuning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

folks anyone know what factories take imported cows? Preferably in the Munster area but will take anything at this stage thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who voted for eamon Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I got caught with a fleck bull on red card before and the seller said roscrea would take him when he needed to be culled, but they didn't, sold him for very small money to a dealer who then couldn't get him killed anywhere either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Wind/solar won't cut it in terms of the needs of a modern grid - this has been proved with energy crisis this year in Germany,UK etc that have spent tens of billions supporting onshore/offshore wind etc. For Ireland we should be looking to sign a contract with the French for Nuclear via that new interconnector that is being built between Cork and Calais ahead of new smaller reactors currently under development by the likes of Rolls Royce etc. Ireland has only half the population of Paris so it makes sense economically environmentally etc, instead of throwing good money after bad at more windfarms etc. and other greenwash measures that fail to provide power then most needed and contribute to escalating power costs across the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

That crowd in Meath Euro farms take them the last time I enquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Is splash plate slurry spreading banned from January 2024?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t mind Eamon Ryan too much because all this malarkey is his gig, he’s being true to his beliefs, but it’s the rest who are folding to him (or Whoever else) is who I’ve a grudge with.

Advertisement