Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

May well have been daylight at the time, probably was in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Wouldn't that make it too clear that Sophie had armed herself before confronting somebody?

While it's all hypothetical can you imagine what they'd have made of it if Jules had said that about 12 that day she took some rubbish to the dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

You would hope that both were checked but how thoroughly were they checked if given in such a short time span she was back on the road and on her way to the dump.

Between the gardai arriving at the scene and Shirley driving off on her way was just probably over 2 hours. The car and rubbish should have been left at the scene.

Let's be realistic here for a minute. Unless you took time to peruse the body you would not see the shattered face. And by all accounts Shirley didn't take much of a look. She saw a body with blood around it and raised the alarm.

Regarding trauma, people come across bodies all the time, car accidents, suicides, natural deaths. We don't all go into a state of shock unable to function for the day. Especially if our day is already planned out, most people just tend to get on with the day and maybe process it all later that evening.

Also, is anyone seriously suggesting that they killed her and then planned to take the murder weapon and bloody clothing to the dump while leaving the body and block lying there by the fence?

Perhaps she was taking that to the dump too but it all fell out when she opened the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Sorry for jumping around. Was the pattern of the blood stains on the gate ever explained or surmised? To me they look like smears as if a hand was holding them and moved along the bars in a lateral movement. The gate was obviously open when Shirley left the morning of discovery but could it be that the gate was closed during the chase and Sophie attempted to climb it which would fit in with the blood being on the top 2 bars only? If the gate was open when the blood was deposited it could only be from her using the gate to try and stay upright as she was falling? Still think the gate has a story to tell with the argument over whether it should be left open or closed, the amount of blood on it and it subsequently going missing or deemed irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I disagree on your point regarding trauma - Anyone who I know who has found a dead body ( accidental, sudden or suicide ) have been deeply shook up that day. Finding your neighbour murdered would be an horrific experience - it would be very unusual not to be in shock. There would also be the threat that a murderer could be loose in the area. She should have been too shook up even to drive let alone get in a car on her own. Heading off on her own to the dump ( something that didnt need to be done ) is abnormal behaviour in the situation. But then again everyone in relation to this case behaved abnormally so it very well could mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I guess it would have made that aspect of it obvious, but still leave the authorities none the wiser about who she might be confronting. Seems less risky to me than actually being caught with it - unless you were worried there was something other than fingerprints of yours on the poker.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You know the story about Ian Bailey and you're saying let's be realistic? Shirley knew that her neighbour was around. She saw what looked like the dead body of a woman with blonde hair, most likely murdered and wasn't sure who it was? Shirley wasn't a young woman but managed to run screaming up a field and a lane, that would have been strenuous. I'm not sure if she knocked on Sophie's window then or later, why I don't know. Given the nature of what we are expected to believe about the prime suspect, questioning the veracity of this version of events is reasonable. Nobody said anything about bloody clothing which can be burned. A metal murder weapon is a bit harder to dispose of. I don't think anybody suggested people were running to the dump while leaving a body at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Because to get to the dump she'd have to drive right by the corpse. Be a fairly strong indicator of guilt to claim not to have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

Or was the gate in the position it is showing in the photo and she was trying to climb it from behind the wall and managed to get over it only to be caught right beside it ( first photo with body in the briars ).

• Advertisement

The last part about being 90% certain is one thing that gets stuck in my throat over him. Makes so little sense.

"So you introduced the two of them... are you certain?"

"Yes"

"I'm certain"

"Definately"

90% is saying. I want to make you think I'm certain but giving myself an out if contradicted. It's the mark of someone lying imo. Nobody says they are 90% of a recollection. An exact % is just stupid. It's yes or no, or can or can't be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Looking at the photos of the lane and access to and from her house on foot it's unlikely (not impossible) that she ended up on that side of the wall in the field. The more accepted likely route was down the front of her house through the field and through the other gate/opening which was on the opposite side of the lane to the open bloody gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Jeez this thread moves fast... I can understand the frustrations of all as its hard just to concentrate on one point at a time as every one is in/or at a different stage of the murder from doors to gates to access and weapons...….but everyones will/hope is in opening a small crack that possibly lead to an understanding or possibility.

2 points today for me.

1 . it looks like the gate was open during the assault (not sophies preference) as the blood marks/stickers are on the road side of the gate.... Or was she further out the lane?... made her way back to the gate and either opened it or climbed it... assaulted inside.

1. The Alfies' claim to have been in bed at 10.30? (lights off)..... What made I.B think that there may be a party on when looking across from the hill on the way home from the pub late..? (lights on)… sorry ..I should know this ,or are my times wrong?

1;

I'd say she got onto the lane through the gap at the pump house and was caught and assaulted up against the open gate.

She either tried to flee back up the lane or fell along the gate into the briars.

She was then pulled back out of the briars ,about a yard (you can see the stretched pyjama bottoms in the photo above) and the assault continued with the rock and block while she was on her back.

2;

I don't know where Hunts hill is , but I'd say it would be distance away if they were coming home to Lissacaha North from Schull.

They may have mistaken Sophie's outside light, which she usually left on, for Alfie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

I'm with you on point 1, I got my fields mixed up earlier. She must have been in some panic to flee the house. Whoever was outside must have been very aggressive and vocal to make her run for it rather than stay inside. I'm only presuming here but I can picture Bailey being like a drunk bear trying to get inside but giving up and moving on. She could have fell too running down the hill which allowed her attacker to catch up but you wonder how it quickly turned to a murder rather than a vicious assault, if it wasn't Bailey who else was wanting to do this to her.

Yes, I'd say the gate was open which was a bone of contention for Sophie. Cattle roaming around her lane & house, **** and licking her windows and car etc....I wouldn't blame her & I'm from a farming background.

I think particular notice/observation was made of the french lady being home....

& it was a moon lit night so you'd imagine they could tell the two houses apart...

Jules Thomas gave evidence in court in 2014;

"She denied telling gardaí Mr Bailey said to her, when they stopped at Hunt’s Hill near Schull sometime earlier that night on their way home, he had a feeling something bad was going to happen. That was “absolute invention”, she said."

There was a lot of invention. I know the area well and I haven't been able to find any vantage point on any road where you can see those three houses.

If you can read the top sentance Jules stated that ... something something... when we were looking accross the terrain Ian remarked Something Alphies house accross the way and and then said thers a light on...

There must be a vantage point & these are Jules words/ Statement...?

Couldn't disagree with you more. If your neighbor is murdered and left on your shared laneway. You don't continue with your day, bake some scones, yoga, and head to the dump because you had it planned. You down tools, you stay indoors as it's safer. You ring relatives tell them you love them. Discuss the situation, the turn of events, the theories. Equating it to driving by an accident is totally wrong IMO.

• Advertisement

Well that has cleared that up!

The Irish Times link, I mean.

What usually happens is the parish priest gives an interview to RTE, 'the entire community is in a state of shock...' Meanwhile the entire community just gets on with its business. Did they cancel the Christmas swim? No. Was it a morbid affair? No.

For another thing Shirley barely knew Sophie. Why would she hide away for the day, especially in those extra busy days approaching Christmas? Would you say the same if it was a passing male farmer who found her, or do you just think female sensibilities find it hard to cope?

So what/who do we believe here? as this 'viewing of a light' is possibly the only evidence linking I.B to the crime scene that night... which sounds crazy.

This is jules v Gardai. ....

Any video evidence /interviews of Jules or I.B talking about hunt hill?

I would go so far as to say.... If there is no vantage point as Mamboozle says (from local knowledge,) then Drum roll...

The cops are full of **** and further evidence that this was an effort to stitch him up..

You make it sound like she went to the shops;

"and a box of Christmas crackers there please".

"Jaysus Shirley was that your neighbour got murdered this morning?"

"Yes awful it was. Are you ready for the Christmas swim?"

This is from someone who knew Shirley which doesn't fit your impressions;

"If Shirley was involved she is the greatest actress who ever lived. I saw her in August '96, she was lighthearted and looking forward to her retirement. In January '97 she was a broken woman who was in the absolute horrors and feeling trapped in a house she no longer felt safe in. She worried she could be next. Yet, at no point did she indicate any fear of Alfie. In fact they stayed together until his death a few months ago. They also stayed in the cottage but only because they could not raise the funds to move."

But she Did carry on about her business that day. That's a fact. And I don't think there is anything at all suspicious about that.

So what's your point then? What are you hinting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

This brings up an interesting point regarding the possible age of the killer:

Suppose Sophie was at first hit at the entrance of her house where the blood stain was found, confronted with something, threatened and then started running towards the gate, trying to outrun the killer. The killer caught up with her at the gate ( the gate was quite possibly closed and Sophie took some time trying to climb over the gate), the killer then killed her with that cavity block and later dumped her body on the road side, than it should be considered that the killer must have been physically fit to keep up with Sophie.

Sophie running to the gate must have had a practical reason out of a simple survival instinct and knew that she had little to no time and every second mattered. Possibly knowing that Alfie and Shirley were asleep at this late hour and waking them up, them getting to the door to open up would have taken to long, so Sophie tries to escape somewhere where she thought she could outsmart the killer, hiding behind briars, brambles, possible other bushes and that all under the guise of darkness.

Shirley and Alfie were older than Sophie and so was Ian Bailey, plus Bailey would have had a lot to drink that night. So Sophie would have outrun him easily that night.

I would therefore suggest that the killer must have been either around Sophie's age or even younger, or if older, somebody who is in excellent physical shape. ( Possibly pointing to a Gard, as a suggestion )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I wonder which way you're leaning..... :D

If coffee was every morning, he kept his routine to hide his guilt so he didn't seem suspicious?

If it was a once off, he only did it because he felt guilty?

So, if you assume for one second he's innocent, what should he do about the coffee that won't make him look guilty?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement