Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Vacant Property Tax will generate much needed housing supply – O’Dowd - Fine Gael

Deputy O’Dowd said, “I have no doubt the vast majority of the country would back the introduction of a common-sense Vacant Property Tax to generate much needed housing supply.

“We have clear evidence from the city of Vancouver that it will successfully bring vacant units back into use, as they saw a 25% decrease in vacant properties following the introduction of the tax.

“Not only will it encourage vacant property owners to act but the revenue from its introduction could be ringfenced to strengthen the Local Authority Voids budget. The Vancouver model, which now applies a tax on empty homes of 1.25% of the property’s value, would also generate tens of millions of euros each year.

In an attempt to muddy the waters, the FGers are completely missing the point. FG themselves think its a great idea, my point is why wait until 2022 ???

Thats a Fine Gael website link by the way 😉

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Local property tax surcharge for vacant properties under consideration as system set to be overhauled (thejournal.ie)

A LOCAL PROPERTY tax surcharge for vacant properties could be included in legislation to come before the Dáil before the summer recess. 

The Journal reported last month that Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe has been asked to consider whether a multiple of the Local Property Tax (LPT) for apartments that are left vacant could be used to deter institutional landlords from leaving properties lying idle, senior sources confirmed.

Again, why the delay?

Vacant property tax targeted at institutional landlords who leave apartments lying empty under 'serious consideration' (thejournal.ie)

The Business Post recently reported that hundreds of top-end apartments in Dublin are lying empty despite a chronic shortage of rental stock.

It found that a detailed analysis of the Residential Tenancies Board’s register shows that a number of recently developed apartment schemes – charging between €2,000 and €10,000 a month – have a large number of vacancies.

The newspaper also revealed that 100 of the 190 apartments in the 22-storey Capital Dock near Grand Canal are vacant.

It is understood that government is assessing if triple or quadruple levels of the Local Property Tax should kick in for apartments that have been vacant for more than six months. 

Landlords would have to self declare their vacancies, it is believed. The aim is to bring the properties back into use, while possibly encouraging landlords to lower the rent asked for the apartments if they cannot get tenants for the price asked.

Yes yes, ridiculous carry on 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Are they for real don't you mean? It's nurses you are attacking here, not me.

They believe due to working more hours than normal and missing out on down time they are exhausted and need to be compensated. See there's a global pandemic and it really messed with their scheduling and endangered their health.

I believe there's talk of compensating shop assistants. Unlike yourself, people putting their health at risk to supply food or healthcare aren't judged by their station.

I see Varadkar's AG is still working in a private capacity, (representing the INM no less). They are debating if there's a conflict of interest. Debating 😎

As the man said would you like to be going up against the AG in a case were the AG's office can make or break a career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It will be the usual budget BS! a billion increase on welfare, so ten billion every decade. But cancel dublin metro, a one off four billion with most of it going back to government anyway! Those that say they dont want tax decreases, are generally the ones contributing near nothing any way. Which is a huge amount of the electorate... The marginal rate is total economically damaging idiocy...

As usual the biggest thing is "the pensioners" talk of a ten euro weekly raise! Ill laugh when the **** hits the fan again and I think it could be coming, give it a few more years... when they wont change anything, wont increase taxes, wont address waste, its only ongoing growth that can fund the black hole...

You're being evasive. Questions you don't want to answer aren't soundbites.

Again, where are they getting the properties?

Are they building, leasing, renting or buying the stock? You tell me. You are the one singing about it from the rafters. I know elements follow the failed model used in London, which made problems worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

DIdn't take you long to back out of your 200k comment

Couple of things from all your responses

FG said in hot areas, so that would be cities and not a blanket over the entire country which makes sense

The high end apartments, all the landlord has to do is stick them up for the rent they are worth, it's not like we have thousands of people sitting waiting to rent high end apartments.

`I think you will find the plan linked above of allowing people to rent out houses while older relatives are in care will be far more successful.

I am not going down to your level. Read my posts and consider yourself enlightened.

As for the government, they need to implement the tax in 2021.

The more we depend on the private market the more tax money has to go to welfare and housing. Its a problem that feeds itself.

There's another crash coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

increasing welfare to those that will spend it makes perfect sense, as this provides urgently needed money directly into the economy, all citizens benefit from this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The pension timebomb is an issue, hence why there are moves to change the retirement age and bring it up

Look at the leader of the opposition here. Mary Lou McDonald's solution to the problem? "The demographics will look after themselves" and reduce the pension age back down to 65.. so tell me how does that fix the problem?

maybe our birth rates will miraculously increase or something!

What did I say about FG staying away from social media, as they keep making PR disasters on it?

In your opinion. Remember, Twitter is not real life. Remember the time you pushed some fake news yourself about Leo and the government Jet? Egg.on.face

Are you now suggesting the Thanksgiving holiday is policy? When the rest of us realise it was a kite flying PR exercise that crashed and burne

Not at all. I know your level of debate is the odd Tweet from Dr Harold News. You don't do policy, which is fine. You are not interested in policy, just food fights.

You referring to the time Varadkar went to a music festival in the UK after supporting we not hold similar in Ireland and criticising the UK and stating we shouldn't be following their lead? More LV giving two fingers and being tone deaf, than egg on face.

There was unconfirmed reports of him using the government jet. Didn't see anyone claim it as fact, but at least one poster did defend its use, if it turned out to be true. I can see why government supporters would try misrepresent the facts on that.

Is this 'put words in people's mouth' day? 🤣

You know exactly what I would rather. 100% you do. I made it very clear. Repeatedly. Do it now. In the budget.

Don't be so disingenuous like dudley.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Rinse and repeat, once you are incorrect the answer is always insult the other posters intelligence. 🤣

You keep falsely claiming he said 'a tax will free up 200k houses'. You are either lying or not paying attention. So fair comment.

The other poster mentioned the 200k houses and "The government do plan to bring in an empty homes tax but inexplicably it's next year." Sorry for the selective quoting but already responded to the original

As usual when it is pointed out the 200k and the empty tax is rubbish we have some serious backtracking and when that doesn't work its the usual insult the other poster and hope they respond so they can report. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Not sure why we constantly need to rehash the same discussion either

• Advertisement

People keep misrepresenting others so things need to be repeated and restated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What's vacant and what's actually usable are two different things, some houses are vacant because the cost of making them livable is too much, others are on farmland with the outbuildings being used, others are parents or grandparents houses that are kept for sentimental reasons, true vacant usable numbers will be a lot lower than you imagine

Here is the post dudley. What do you think I am saying? You saying the CSO data is rubbish now?

Something about a new plantation in Mayo right?

Oh no, you thought that I thought a vacant property tax meant 200k homes would be sold immediately....right?

Stop spoofing.

For sure. According to the CSO and 2016 census there were way more then 200k. It was more like 240k with 60k being holiday homes.

CSO publishes breakdown of Census 2016 housing themes – Ireland's Housing Magazine (eolasmagazine.ie)

There were 183,312 vacant houses and apartments, while the census also counted 62,148 vacant holiday homes.

Obviously not all will be livable today but if a tax pushes even 5% of landlords to rent out their vacant properties or sell them, its 12,000 houses back in play. And it's extra revenue from the landlords that seemingly can afford to keep vacant properties longterm.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Or we go back to the days when people took the roof off so they didn't pay rates, energy costs in heating some of these old houses is crazy, there's one near me with a G rating that's been for sale for 11 years,

Empty houses like that wont improve when left empty. They will essentially rot. It wont sell if overpriced. Beside the point though.

This is an example of the properties that need to be targetted. 100 new apartments in central Dublin.

Vacant property tax targeted at institutional landlords who leave apartments lying empty under 'serious consideration' (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I constantly hear this! you know what would be a far better way of doing this? income tax cuts?

not necessarily true, it depends what taxpayers do with this money, if they save it or use it to pay down debt, it does very limited good for the economy. you ll probably find most welfare money is spent straight into the economy, very little of it being saved or used to pay down debts, this provides the economy with liquidity, i.e. money. this is why pup payments money was so successful, as a large proportion of it was in fact used in this way, it ultimately went straight into private sector business bank accounts, when recipients spent it, and these transactions took place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The great thing about trying to copy Thanksgiving is that everyone has a reason to hate it.

Standard curmudgeons who just resent Plastic Paddies instinctively? Yep. Lefties who make a big thing of the Famine/tribe donations, yep. Nationalists, yep. Right wing cranks who piss themselves about "globalisation", yep. Weird airy fairy hippy neo pagan types, yep. Catholics, yep. Even peripheral FFGheads who like to wheel out the Choctaw scholarship can't exactly be jumping for joy.

Who is left apart from people hermetically sealed in FFG PR land?

• Advertisement

Simply put it's a silly idea. Canada has Family Day and the U.S. July 4th etc.. We could easily create a number of ideas and dates. It was just FG internal foolishness. Maybe they wanted to celebrate the British coming over to invade? 🤔

Advertisement