Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Karl Spain. Ungrateful piece of shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Milena Fluffy Stretcher

i think she's become more insufferable after her sporting career, trying about 20 different new ventures to stay relevant, from news reporter, own show, reality "star", lifestyle coach, influencer and more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That’s funny you say that as I have a mate who worked with him on a site and he said the same thing that he was the biggest bully in the place.

Would pick on lads to try and get a laugh and would get tick if he didn’t get the laughs he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Watched Deadpool 2 last night

Can't stand that kiwi fat kid actor in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Just heard a snippet of her on Radio1 and reminded I cant stand Darina Allen. The prim headmistress image, the posh voice, the standing by her creep of a husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Her brother is kinda creepy too, that guy Rory O'Connell. I knew his boyfriend (I dunno if they're still together, or if they broke up) and he was half Rory's age. Considering Rory's sixty, it was a bit dodgy.

Probably wouldn't be as dodgy if it weren't for the dodgy activities of Ballymaloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Half of 60 is 30. You mightn’t like it but it’s hardly dodgy.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

She's an odd one becuayse she came out of nowhere really. I know she had been playing with Cork etc but i'd never heard of her until she stopped playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

some galway chef with tatoos and a beard that's on tv got behind an initiative by darina allen on twitter to ensure school kids get enough cookery training....you can guess how it escalated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

John Cleese no particular reason just irks me.

It's no coincidence Bressie started with the mental health stuff at a time when he was becoming irrelevant. It's something that's very easy to fake, i'm not saying all these people are, so therefor very easy to exploit.

isn't he doing a phd in it? that's not really faking it

he is faking it though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, His band have released 2 albums since they formed in 2003... they flopped... now he’s getting a career about mental health, he is not a qualified psychologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭Archeron

That beardy bloke on the Bord bia ads. I bet you any money he eats people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Speaking of Bressie, or more really speaking of mental health, some journalist (Irish) wrote an article criticizing Blindboy (And in turn, folks like Bressie) with regards to how they exploit the discussion around mental health.

Sure enough-twitterati came to his defense. If they'd only taken a step back, they'd realise that the journalist was right. And Blindboy coming out in 'defense' of himself... tells you that he was worried about his pay packet. If you get very defensive about any kind of criticism (accurate criticism, mind you, not deconstructive criticism- when someone does the 'you're rubbish' kind of stuff) then it very clearly points to a weakness in your armour. As in you know you're a huckster, but you're not happy being called out on it.

Seen it happen too many times with youtubers. But once they're called out, they have to go looking for a new source of revenue. The regular audience usually get clued in on it not too long afterwards. He's already had to switch from being a 'comedian', then switched to being a 'musician', now he's a 'mental health advocate'... 🙄🙄🙄

If you choose to use the media to engage with the general public, express views, communicate, yet when somebody disagrees with you, calls you out, takes issues with something you say... you need to remind yourself that in a fûcking democracy, you are of the ability to say xyz, about tambourine making, the best washing up liquid and indeed mental health ... but people are also of the ability to disagree with you, put a counter view and or call you out as a chancer, spoofer, whatever... a just society, a democracy enables all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Advertisement

It's actauly kind of interesting how many of them go down the same route. comedian', then switched to being a 'musician', then a 'mental health advocate'..

It's also interesting how many talk about free speech, choose etc but only when it's inline with their own thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Larrissa nolan,

actually i'm sure it was blindboy alone she nuked, think she gave bressie a pass for being a actual professional

Give her time-she'll spotlight him too. Then the twitter folk will come after her over it.

Case in point, Laura Whitmore tried to set her followers on a journalist (Niamh Walsh)-but it heavily backfired (barring some genuinely nuts people who made death threats against Ms Walsh). Journalists came out in support of Walsh, even the Washington Post, of all things. (it was an embarrassing moment for Whitmore. And she's been embarrassing herself quite a bit in the last few years).

Anyways, Walsh wrote a nothing article about how the women politicians 'don't dress very well', and even including a little dig at the male politicians at the end of her article. Friends-of-Whitless came out in her defence, such as Muireann O'Connell on Ireland AM. And it was soooo clearly an agenda. (Muireann started attacking those who wrote in to Ireland AM and defended Walsh's article. That politicians, at home and abroad, represent the people, the country. You want them to look good. You don't want another 'Bertie Ahern in a Canary yellow suit' debacle'. Or Brian Cowen being the butt of a Jay Leno joke.).

You could tell they were just using the article to attack Niamh Walsh after the way Laura Whitmore was made look like an idiot before this. It was the Dailymail... nobody cares what they say unless it's Piers Morgan writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I haven't really followed Laura Whitmore or her career and only heard of her in the last couple of years. I can't say I've warmed to her (saw her on celeb gogglebox). However in the case of her spat with Niamh Walsh, I totally got where she was coming from. Just because someone is in the public eye doesn't mean every aspect of their life is public. It seems that it was the papers, and not the couple themselves, who announced that the child had been born; then this "journalist" wrote a cringey faux chummy email saying we're going to announce your baby's name - surely it's the couple's own decision if or when they announce it. The "journalist" only contacted LW to get the quote that she needed so that the article became a story rather than a piece of unsubstantiated gossip. That being said, maybe LW needs to filter out which of her friends are prepared to sell her out by talking to the papers.

I'd be more inclined to 'agree' with you, if Whitmore hadn't set up an instagram page for her kid, with the kid's name in full view. And this was set up months before the email went out. Laura and her bloke were more likely trying to sell a magazine deal, announcing her kid's arrival.

They just weren't very bright about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Is it active? If the child's name hadn't been made public no one would have known who it belonged to. I know some people who set up email addresses for newborns in order that no one else can get them first - maybe setting up an Instagram is something similar in the world of people who use social media?

Yep, pretty active (think Brian McFadden is following it). Keep in mind, for months after Caroline Flack took her own life, she was promoting the #BeKind tag. She could easily have blocked out the name of the journalist, but she wanted to make an example of them. Rather nasty, tbh. And Whitmore studied journalism, she knows the type of people you deal with there. She used to trade in celebrity gossip for MTV, so her double standards were quite ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

I said it before but she comes across as rather painful on her instagram.

Advertisement