Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

While I don’t agree with the bizarre notion that we should be given the 3rd Thursday in November off (ie Thanksgiving) like one minister suggested, what’s your problem with the first Monday in February?

It makes sense for many reasons - marks the end of a long January, the 6 Nations, no holiday until St Patrick’s Day. I just mentioned the Super Bowl because as well as the above, many people go to the pub on Sunday night to watch it and it and take the next day off either as annual leave or call in sick. There’s a reason that particular Monday is called “national sickie day”. So yes, it would make sense economically, and not because, America 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

But it is relevant to this thread as a lot of orgs already observe bank holidays. Therefore, introducing it as a Public holiday would see a lot of people get no gain, and probably encourage resistance/resentment from those people towards those who push for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Then they'd get an extra days annual leave. Or at least should.

My company give us the 27th off as it stands. I'd imagine they'd move this to the 28th if the 27th was designated as an extra bank holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Superbowl takes place after midnight here when the pubs are closed.

I don't know anyone that watches the Superbowl.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/super-bowl-liii-watch-dublin-15773378.amp

Most of the large late bars in town make an event of it. It’s clearly not something you have any knowledge of, but it’s a thing.

It's a niche event for some people in Ireland.

It’s a piss up for a Sunday night, when one doesn’t exist normally at any other time of the year. Between that and the Six Nations, it brings people out to the pubs that weekend, which was the original point made: it marks the end of January and kickstarts the social scene again, so a bank holiday would make sense seeing as it also ties in with the Monday people are most likely to pull a sickie.

Well done though in bringing the thread off topic in the completely bizarre way that you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

The health service is a sink hole of money. I can’t see how we can justify putting more money into it without huge restructuring and putting money into creating efficiencies. Per capita our health service is one of the best funded in the world. The money should be going to nurses, doctors, porters, physio’s etc and of course making sure they have the equipment and supplies they need and training is kept up to date. However, would the government get cooperation from unions if they tried to overhaul the system…I would say no. Something has to be done, the population is getting older but likely all that will happen is a bigger budget and nothing to show for it. Fixing the health system would probably be the best reward we could give to doctors and nurses working on the frontline.

Whatever your feelings about private healthcare are. It is keeping thousands of people off the public waiting lists. Think cataract surgeries, knee operations, hernia repairs etc. Now we probably need to remove all private healthcare from the public hospitals, however there will be a potential loss of income to the public hospital when this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Please note that we already overspend on healthcare, relative to the age profile of our population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I vote for the monday after Wrestlemania for a day off, who do I lobby for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Except for the pregnant ones. They were sent home on full pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McGrath on the possible bonus and that talks are likely to push out conclusions to the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Woohoo Christmas Bonus!!!! 🤪

Seriously though, WTF is the point of giving more leave to people who nearly all have loads of leave saved up from the last two years? At this stage I'd rather get €100 into my hand than another week off.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Agreed, it would need huge restructuring, there are too many admin staff and not enough drs or nurses, that is where the money should be spent, proper staffing levels to eradicate waiting lists, streamline the applicaiton process for doctors from abroad, increase wages for nursing staff would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wages aren't the issue with many nurses...it's their workload for the current pay...maybe increase the number of nurses make their workload more manageable and the majority of nurses will be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Surely keep it Irish and pick the day after the All Ireland hurling final.

Or like in some countries have regional bank holidays so places can pick their own day. Cork could have a bank holiday for the Jazz festival, Galway the races and Limerick the All Ireland trophy parade 2022 😜 etc. and it could be good for local tourism too as people from other counties could travel down for the extra days partying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Agreed proper staffing would help with that. However there was a staff nurse on Joe Duffy other day on 26e per hr before tax who is living in a shared room in a hostel as she cant get accomodation. It has been discussed before amongst HCW that a rental allowance for Dublin area should be considered due to the very high rents and difficulty finding a place to live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The money is shite and you top out at about 49k for a staff nurse. The pension is the only reason to do the job from a financial standpoint. It really is a hell of a pension for someone retiring after full service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Oh agreed, maybe if possible a loving in Dublin allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. Most OECD countries had compensated frontline healthcare workers by the end of 2020.

Some large Retail have compensated their essential workers.

Tesco eg gave 10% bonus last year and this year with a limited time gift also of 20% off purchases with their colleague club card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Just let people take leave they have accrued and spend the money saved from this gesture on additional intensive care beds. Or build a new hospital in the midlands. Public servants have it broadly good already.

Some health care workers were "compensated" with poor token gestures though like in the UK which was almost worse than nothing

I don't know, it is better than NOTHING at all!

It's a bit like tipping 20c in a restaurant. The paltry sum is more of an insult that just not remembering to tip at all.

A 1% payrise presented as a pat themselves on the back Tory thank you bonus to health care staff while experts say they need more than that even before Covid is a slap in the face. It is worse than nothing because now you get a tiny tiny bit more but also have to watch yourself become propaganda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

To be fair, a lot of clerical staff didn’t work from home. You can’t prepare charts, check in patients for procedures, do filing, etc from home.

I don’t know if a lot of healthcare staff care about extra compensation at this point. I think there was an interest last year when COVID felt like much more of a threat and everyone was worried, but now that most people are vaccinated, it’s less worrisome. We’ll all end up paying for the compensation anyway.

If they do have some sort of compensation, a bank holiday on Christmas Eve would be great. Of course some people will still have to work it, but it can usually be a hard day to get off as a lot of areas see it as a normal day and so it needs to be staffed as per usual. Making it a bank holiday would fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭fliball123

And how much in debt is Tesco in currently and how much of a loss did they make during the pandemic? How much did they have to borrow during hte pandemic? The fact is the public service already got rewarded with O.T, 2 annual increments and payments towards a pension that the tesco employee could only dream about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lots of people in the civil and public service did unpaid extra hours (overtime? hah!) with not even the option of time off in lieu. But that doesn't suit the agenda you push, facts bedamned, on every single post you make to this site.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

So you think I am equating nurses and other healthcare workers with Tesco employees ?

Of course not , many would be on the minimum wage and I am glad they were compensated , only right , risking their own and their families' health for such a small return.

My point is that all those who went out to work among the public especially without vaccines during a pandemic deserve some respect and thanks , and if that is all that can be afforded so be it.

But this incessant talk demeaning one group's worth and hard work and bvtching about people who might get a bit extra for their work beyond is just mean and begrudging.

We did not begrudge those sitting at home on 350 a week during the pandemic , although I would say many low paid workers in Tesco or Aldi were more than a bit pissed off . Some of those ( between 10 and 20% ) it is now being discovered should have been on less if any at all .

There were students who worked a few hours in cafes or shops a week and they ended up at home getting 300 at least a week , laughing at their friends in essential retail who still had to go out and work for their money , and in some cases coming out with less. These would have been living at home through the pandemic and while not a picnic , by any manner for anyone , they all managed to get away abroad for a month to six weeks this summer to spend their PUP savings . Good for them but very hard on those in essential retail to swallow .

But that is never mentioned when you and others here talk about the billions of debt accumulating , is it ?

Now should those students be penalised for taking what was freely given by the government to them during an emergency? I don't think so , but less of the whinging over anything extra given to those who actually worked through this .

It is more than likely just going to be a bank holiday for all , which will be good and might catch us up a bit with our EU counterparts .

Advertisement