If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System dead :( Recommendations appreciated :)

• 30-09-2021 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi RS,

I was wondering if you could provide some advice?

Back around 2009 I got a Yamaha 3900 Receiver and a KEF 3005 5.1 speaker package (black eggs, I think they’re 100w per channel) from you in CastleCourt. 

This evening the HDMI light on the receiver’s front panel started flashing and I couldn’t get a picture from any of my devices through the receiver. Through connecting and disconnecting each device, I’ve confirmed that they’re all working and the problem is with the receiver. In addition, the receiver was connected to the HDMI 1 port on my TV (12 year old 50” Panasonic Plasma) and now nothing is working through that port. I’ve now got everything connected through a HDMI switcher box into HDMI port 2 on the TV but I miss my proper sound :(

1. Can you recommend a good receiver to replace the 3900? I’d like to hang onto the speakers and I'm fond of Yamaha as the last one served me well for ages. Ideally I’d like to be able to connect the following devices through the receiver: PS4 Pro, XBox One X, Nintendo Switch, Blu Ray Player, Nvidia SHIELD, FreeSat & Saorview boxes, so that’s 7 devices in total. If the amount of devices is an issue, maybe the two TV boxes could be plugged into a receiver via optical and I can send picture via HDMI direct to the TV.

I’d also like the new receiver to be compatible with the Playstation 5, which I’d hope to get in the next few years when they announce a slim model or when prices eventually go down.

2. Since the first HDMI port is now dead on the TV, is that be a sign that the TV could be on its way out and would you recommend new one or do you think I can get along for a while until I get the PS5 as mentioned above? I’ve measured the space and I can get a 55” in there. I understand that the LG C1 is the best TV on the market at the moment, so would you recommend that or any others in particular?

3. I’m kinda limited for space, but might be able to work something out. If I was to go the whole hog, what would you recommend as an overall upgrade in speakers from the KEF (preferably not floor standers* due to the space as shown in the pics) along with a new receiver and TV? Or alternatively, is there a really brilliant sound bar option that you’d recommend? I've attached pictures to give you an idea of the size I'm working with and the layout.

* If you did recommend a really good option with floor standers for the fronts then I could possibly fit them in at the sides.

My main use would be watching TV / Netflix, movies, YouTube and about 6 hours of gaming at the weekend to relax.

4. Given the size of the TV and receiver, when delivering new ones do you take the old ones away for recycling? If not, do you have any idea where I could bring them to?

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated. I know there's a lot in this message.

Ken

Post edited by Rael on

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.