Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think it was said earlier that it was in a field nearby (one or two away?) Anyway a Cork wino that can't find a way to open a wine bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There would have been very little comings and goings .

There was only Alfie and Shirley in permanent residence.

There was no Amazon and couriers racing around in white vans then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah I think they are hinting at Alfies customers of his *cough* organic produce...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

Just speed read the ebook 'Death in December.' Sheridan

Josephine Hellen gives an account at the end where she is guided thru the house by Gardai to see if she notices anything out of place with the property.

No poker missing... in fact in place and no mention of a missing axe.... (more fiction facts).

Also interesting that she had a payphone installed in the house.

And that she wanted Josephine to request pat hegarty to come over the next day at noon also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's a very good speculation.

However, I don't think that Bailey would have had any success chasing after Sophie. Sophie was by far younger and most likely not drunk that evening.

The thing is that Alfie and Shirley were the only ones who lived there permanently, that means that they knew what was going on in the neighbourhood. They could have been an indication if it's about something Sophie has seen, but should not have, if that's what the motive for murder was.

What about the other neighbours further to the east of Sophie's house? They were not there at the night of the murder, right? But did they ever complain somebody using their house in their absence, like the bathtub? Did they ever notice some drug activity going on when they were there? It would have been an enquiry to follow up upon as well.

Post edited by tinytobe on

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

A moment of silence for Detective Moonunit at this difficult time…

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/serving-garda%C3%AD-targeted-for-searches-in-dublin-drugs-gang-investigation-1.4688182

though on a serious note it is a shocking development; there is little doubt left in my mind that a deeper Garda corruption element will eventually come to light in Sophie’s case too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mossie

Sophie wasn't "by far younger" they were actually of a similar age, both born in 1957 I think.

Thanks for that. I was not aware of the birth dates. I guess in the pictures of Sophie used in the media she appeared to be rather young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Any idea what kinda of work she was asking Pat for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Coopcrow

Was there blood found around the area near the back door? I know of the mark on the door itself.

I found it odd that Shirley noticed that Sophie's light by the backdoor was on when she was going to bed, yet in the morning it was off. When Sophie was disturbed, she surely turns the light on to see who is there regardless of how afraid she might have been. The back door was closed and the light off, did the killer return and do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

This French reporter does not mention any poker or axe missing either;

But it does mention a "éteignoir pour les bougies" which translates as a candle snuffer,

Maybe Josephine's French and the reporter's English confused "poking the fire" with "snuffing the flame".

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Statements

Does anybody have a link or know where to get the transcripts from the police interviews? Screenshots below are hard to make out but from Shirley's statement below is it indicating that Alfie and Shirley were still walking around the crimescene later in the day when he pointed out the blood?

And something about the perpetrator falling over a dustbin by the backdoor? Why on earth is that in a statement - was Shirley now part of the investigation team? I can't beleive for a second that Shirley would be talking about the dustbin. Impossible to seperate fact from fiction with all of these statements.

Tyre tracks

Does anybody know what side of the gate were the tyre tracks? You can only surmise that these tracks were from a stationary vehicle that put the pedal to the metal and thus spun the wheels as driving down this laneway and bend is hardly a place for quickly accelerating. The vehicle that left the tyre tracks had also obviously come down the laneway from Sophies or Alphies house as that's the only place you could turn around. Also interesting that initially the Guards thought it was a hit and run which would explain how she ended up in the ditch and then was she finished off?

According to Josephine..... plastering.

The thing about the 'axe'.... Baileys (now deceased 2019 i think) neighbour Jacqueline found a large axe head weeks or days after x-mas in the ashes of her own rubbish/firepit... didn't know how it got there / unexplained..

She says it could have been there hiddin in the grass as it was a new (virgin grass site) Pit but she didn't think so.

Then 'hey presto' there's an axe missing from sophies , albeit a small one..

Yes there was a small/medium blood stain on the ground at the back door.

With all the news today about guards’ involvement in drug gangs, including a senior member, this really reinforces the theory that Sophie was killed over this, as opposed to a boundary dispute.

I truly don’t think Alfie or Shirley killed her themselves but I think they were caught up in it in some way. That’s why they never said anything. They’re implicated.

The deceased detective in Bantry needs to be looked at it in more detail.

I still think the bottle of wine is more likely to have been some form of Christmas gift between neighbours rather than a romantic gesture.

who knows, maybe Sophie even gifted it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Can’t delete comment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He was 1959, she was 1957. He was actually younger than her.

The thing is that it's been 25 years and that's a long time.

Unless there is compelling new evidence or a deathbed confession we won't unfortunately learn nothing new.

I am also inclined to think that in the possibility of the "drug-gang-corrupt-guard" theory, Alfie and Shirley had a role to play, - probably not voluntarily, but quite possibly coerced. The thing is, that both of them were considerably older than Sophie? So Sophie would have outrun them, if she was chased that night? They were both way to close to the murder scene for not having heard or noticed absolutely anything, regardless how deep they slept, or what they did all day and evening, they must have noticed something.

There is not much one can find about the deceased detective from Bantry. Evidence has most likely been destroyed a while ago. In his lifestyle probably everything was abnormal, but I would have looked at anything sticking out? But what? Maybe old bank statements and unusual transactions, which most likely don't exist anymore. Is his wife still alive? or any of his kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Reading the recent posts could the confrontation at her gate involved a vehicle? Perhaps she attacked the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There was a poster here recently who said his wife and son have been going around claiming he confessed on his deathbed.

it’s also been a locally held belief for years. Many years before Gemma O’Doherty’s article came out. And again before people ridicule her they should consider that the Village, in which it was published, would be careful to have its facts and sources straight. She can’t just go to them and publish her own mental ravings.

The rumour is of a violent womanising guard and I’ve seen that ridiculed on this thread. As if the very notion is fantasyland. And yet just this week we have a violent policeman across the water using his power and position to abduct and murder a woman. And then there’s the revelations about Garda involvement in drug gangs here.

The fact is that in police forces across the world there is a scarily high percentage of men who are violent to women. And before anyone says that doesn’t mean they are all MURDERERS, take a look at what Wayne Couzens was getting up to in the weeks and years before he murdered Sarah Everard.

just because an act doesn’t necessarily escalate into murder doesn’t mean that it can’t or won’t. The risk is that it can or will.

And then there’s the obvious police corruption on show in this particular case.

Not to mention Sophie’s prior contact with the guards.

I would say at this stage it doesn’t take much to connect the dots.

Connecting the dots is one thing, the problem is, we're not getting any proof of what happened, and we most likely never will.

Apart from new and compelling evidence turning up or a deathbed confession there is also the possibility that somebody out there still alive knows something as well. One of these "somewhere-somebody-knows-people" could in my opinion be Shirley and the reasons she won't talk is that she was herself somehow involved. That doesn't mean Alfie and herself did the killing, but their sheer presence in the night of the murder was simply to close that they noticed nothing at all.

Naturally none of us can prove any of Shirley's involvement, so police also can't pull her in and grill her for hours. However it could be possible that if there ever is a deathbed confession in the Sophy Toscan du Plantier murder case, it would with a strong likelihood come from Shirley.

Other than that we have to stick with what we have, and it'll be most likely unsolved forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Both Alfie and Shirley were extensively questioned. Their house was searched. They gave fingerprints and DNA. What more do you think should have happended? Waterboarding?

Alfie was ill at the time of the murder, and had been for about a year. He had serious issues with his lungs. He was under the care of a consultant. Lifting a block would have been physically impossible for him. His failure to die for another 20 odd years is a testament to the lifestyle changes he made in 1995 and medical science.

Shirley was deeply traumatised by her gruesome discovery. Shirly was also recently retired from teaching in one the the most notorious schools in the East End of London, a part of London famous for it's high crime rate. Trying to carry on as normal in the face of violence is the default position of East Enders. It is a coping mechanism.

Their house was drafty. Very very drafty. They dealt with this by having very very thick curtains. The kind that damped sound. There is zero evidence that Sophie screamed or that her murder was noisy. She could have been killed/stunned by the first blow to her head. Given where he body was found and the distance/hedging between that and Shirley and Alfie's bedroom at the back of their house it is very possible they heard nothing.

Both Alfie and Shirley were quickly eliminated as suspects. Because there was zero evidence to link them in away way, shape, or form to the murder.

But it seems the experts here who never met either of them believe two physically unimposing pensioners in their 60s were not only able to pull off an unsolved murder, they were so cold blooded they continued to live near the scene of their crime.

Has anyone suggested yet that Alfie was part of Manson's gang? He had been in California in the 60s after all. Some people here have already tried to claim he was some drug dealer. Which is B.S. He was a hippy who grew his own cannabis for his own personal consumption (as is now legal in many parts of the world) and he stopped in 1995.

And perhaps Shirley was somehow connected to the Kray Twins - what wif vem bean in 'Ackney same time as she woz beginning to teach innit.

Honestly, people are really stretching the bounds of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Did I say they did it? If you bothered to properly read my post, you'd see I said I personally dont think they were involved. And how do you know they were properly investigated & questioned, were you one of the investigating detectives on the scene?

Also its highly unlikely she was making no noise, she obviously ran from her house to the gate screaming for her life. To think otherwise is naive in the scream, so he hit her a blow & stunned her enough that she wouldn't make any noise but was able to run all the way down from her house to the gate. Cmon, and your the one saying people are really stretching the bounds of credibilty!!

Save you sarky post for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

We have no evidence of a search warrant for Alfie's house. Your assertion that there is no evidence to connect them with the murder is very naive in the context of what constituted evidence in the case of Ian Bailey. Just the possibility that he might have spoken to Sophie is somehow evidence, something that wouldn't have been given any creedence but for what looks like a lie from Alfie Lyons. Shirley Foster also had some very dubious testimony as regards Bailey.

You are simply wrong if you suggest that they were physically incapable of this murder, since we don't know how it happened. The first blow might have caught her by surprise for all anybody knows.

Anyone who believes there was justification for the kind of questioning Ian and Jules got, cannot disagree that Alfie and Shirley should have been exposed to similar investigation.

• Advertisement

I didn't know how much the Gards questioned Alfie and Shirley and what kind of evidence they looked at to eliminate both of them. Nor did I know of Alfie's health situation. Things are only a speculation here, but I think I mentioned that in nearly every post to this subject.

One other reason why Alfie and Shirley didn't hear anything that night might also have been that if there was a lot of wind that night which is not uncommon for this part or any part of Ireland, and the wind would have carried sounds eastward, - away from their house.

It's just a bit odd that no one was closer to the murder scene and lived there all year round but them, and they heard nothing at all or seen nothing unusual at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement