Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We've moved ours into May 2022.. Been rescheduled twice now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

lawred2 wrote: »
    We've moved ours into May 2022.. Been rescheduled twice now

I had one that I just cancelled. We’ll just hold off until restrictions are gone and book a random low season weekend. Let the older lad take a Friday and Monday off school and get a reasonable enough price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

salmocab wrote: »
    The reality is they are really busy booking wise and if people will pay those prices then they will charge them. This year especially people aren’t going abroad so that makes somewhere like CP even more premium than before. Hotels I’ve looked at for the summer for weekends away or whatever are all charging top dollar especially places with pools I find.
    It’s a great place but I wouldn’t be paying those prices especially with pool restrictions.
    Btw 2k for 8 people for 7 nights isn’t as crazy as it sounds it’s 250 per person for a week.

the price doesnt look nearly as mental when you compare it to air bnb prices.

peoples options are limited unfortunately.

Am booked to go in May 2022, it's saying on the website that for a 3 or 4 night stay you can only book to go to the pool twice, seems a bit disappointing, how strict are they on that once you get there? We booked for 4 nights so seems to mean we can't go to the pool for 2 of the days we're there (not counting the checkout day as you've to go early anyway).

That’s a Covid restriction that will almost certainly be gone by the time you go. It will likely be increased to one a day very soon like their English parks and then even that dropped at some stage soon enough.

also just on check out you only need to leave the cabin early and can use the park and facilities all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

See they cant get staff, managers to cleaners revolving door. Must be awful to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I was up there last weekend. The restaurants are very short staffed. You'd see some of the same staff in the sports bar in the morning as you would in the restaurant at night. That's a long day.

Every member of staff that i came accross, from wait staff to porters to the activity guides, were absolutely sound out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Colleges and schools are back. Many places have the exact same problems.

Being located in a low population area doesn't help.

But to jump to the conclusion that a problem affecting many similar businesses is down to quality of work environment is something someone with a fierce jealousy would come out with.

Some people just hate that center parcs has been hugely successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Going again in January. Can’t wait! Just hope the pool restrictions are lifted by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Center Parcs. Where dreams of travelling to exotic countries go to die.

• Advertisement

There are people just wishing it fails for some reason, it’s been massively successful and they are going to expand which I doubt they’d be doing if they felt they’d struggle to staff the extra areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

that dies when you have kids, hardly center parcs fault 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Two completely different holidays.

I enjoyed going to as many countries as I could when I was child free but would I bring my two under fives off on a plane to an exotic country? Not a chance.

Been to centerparcs three times so far and have to say it is expensive, but worth every penny for the convenience of getting all in the car and just driving and the facilities they have there that I haven't found anywhere else in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I like the center parcs in the Netherlands. You can buy day tickets to use their aqua world. I think it was around €20 per person for the whole day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

We went in late july, The kids loved it. I hated it. The lodges werent great and there was no outdoor space at the lodge. Bar a tiny BBQ area at the back. Fittings were cheap in the lodge (cheap crap frying pan etc), dishes were put away wet so were musty and had to be cleaned again before use. The safe in the room was broken. There were no forest trails or picnic areas that I could find outside of the central town area and it felt very much like you were hemmed in. The food in the restaurants was surprisingly good. We went in the heatwave and the lake stank and there were many dead fish (sticklebacks) floating around.

On 4 separate occasions I heard staff complaining about residents. On one occasion we were woken by a supervisor giving out to staff out the back of the adjacent lodge (right outside our bedroom window) that they hadnt been dong a great job cleaning the lodges. The supervisor then left and one of the staff members sat out there crying and complaining to a colleague that the residents were all filthy. The same staff member was also griping as she walked past the tennis courts and a group of cleaners were complaining that the residents were "all the same, who do they think they are" up at the car park while I was at my car boot retrieving something.

Two of the climbing staff at the outdoor centre complained that a resident asked where a particular lodge was and the staff member said "like how the f**k should i know, I didnt memorise the f**king map". This was within earshot of me and my 7 year old.

So that all left a bad taste in my mouth.

On the flip side the staff in the main square, restaurants and guides for all other activities were great, helpful, pleasant.

The pool was excellent, spa was brilliant. Actually all the activities were really good. We booked a week, way too long. If going back I would book maybe 3-4 days tops and fill out the whole time with activities (a lot was booked out very quickly).

I would go again but I would have to be dragged. Not my type of place at all. But as I said the kids loved it and much preferred it to the following week by the beach in Clare. I was the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

There’s a forest trail right around Centre Parc with picnic areas beside the river. I walk there regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

It’s not in centre parcs though is it? It’s not part of the centre parcs development? And can’t be accessed on foot from within the park without going out on the road?

maybe I’m wrong but I certainly didn’t see it on any of the maps in the park. I saw it on google maps but couldnt see a way to get to the river without leaving the park and driving around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I would think a week is a long time there. But still looking forward to our weekend in January. I was there just after it opened so hope the accommodation standard is holding up.

Yes you’re right, you do have to go out on the road to access the walk, worth it though, I do many walks in forests and woods in the area and that one is my favourite.

Looking at the map of the walk, sorry don’t know how to upload, you can start on the walk at the Centre Parcs entrance.

• Advertisement

Just walk across the new bridge, sure that's why it was put there. No need to go out on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

You would get an excellent foreign holiday for €2405. That's mad money for Centre Parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone ever been to Kellys of Rosslare for a holiday with children some seem to love it might be an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

We've been twice now to Center Parcs - once in September 2020 & then again in July 2021. Have to say I was impressed with it both times. Is it a holiday that I'd necessarily choose to go on all the time, nope. But is it great when you've kids with the stuff to do, yep it is.

The pool sessions I do think they could increase in terms of number per length of booking but I did like the fact that it meant we didn't spend our whole time there and did other things. I don't know where that other poster was looking for trails & picnic benches that they didn't find them but we did a load of cycles & walks around & found picnic benches dotted around the place. Maybe it helped that we'd done one of the nature walks the first time around so saw some of the back trails etc.

Found the staff to be so lovely and accommodating both times. And some of the staff in the restaurants even remembered us from our previous visit which was an unexpected surprise.

Yes the quality of the kitchen ware isn't majorly high but to be honest, is it ever anywhere you go be it Center Parcs or a self-catering house somewhere. Why would you put expensive things in that are much more likely to get misused. That said, while the furnishings weren't exactly top end, the bed was comfy, the fact that a cot was provided without having to request and everything was seriously clean was good enough for me.

The only thing I'd mark them down on is the lack of activities currently available for the under 3 year olds. Most of the normal ones for this age group are indoors which means they are severely limited. What we did manage to book in for was great but I would have liked a little more choice being there so my little boy could have done more. Hopefully the more covid restrictions ease, the more activities will come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

Kelly's is fairly well booked out from now to forever as well. :)

My impression is that Kelly's is a totally different experience. Centerparcs suits an outdoorsie self-catering family more with the pools, cycling, lodges etc. The kind of break booked in Kellys is more about adults chilling out. Kids clubs, the spa, all inclusive food. It's just a different type of holiday really. The one you come home a stone heavier from!

Who are these people that hate it's succesful? Couple of ye keep saying this. Center P allow a certain amount of time to clean a lodge, that's fine until a guest rubs a number 2 on the walls or **** in the top oven. If the cleaner runs over time to clean this they are not paid. That's why they can't keep staff in Accomodation. Push, Push, Push for poxy minimum wage on **** contracts so they don't have to give breaks. Kip of a place. Wanna guess why they can't keep staff in any other department except one? Lidl are the same, no strangers to the WRC those guys the way they treat staff. Jealousy you say, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭spakman

like it or not, most people are primarily concerned with the guest experience rather than staff terms of employment.

Guests wouldn't be aware of any staff issues and probably wouldn't want to be - they're on their holidays!

• Advertisement

The poster said 4 bedroom, they 4 bedrooms houses hold 8 people. Plus a toddler if you want. You pay per lodge or apartment, Center Parc is expensive especially at peak times but it’s difficult to compare like with like on other holidays as it’s the most expensive lodges that tend to get quoted when people are comparing. In low season you could get a 2 bedroom lodge for less than 400 for 3 nights, it would be difficult enough to get 3 nights in Spain in off season for that for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Advertisement