Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

tbf LO, I know from reading your stuff you know you're stuff on this but no matter how you frame it, we've gone from a time when we could produce nearly a fully international pack in North Munster (Horan, Flannery, Hayes, POC, Ryan, Halvey (era doesn't quote match up tbf), Wallace and Foley) to producing no forwards whatsoever. I might be way off but Limerick clubs and schools just don't seem to be working right, either separately or together. I'd love to see Okeke make it but apart from him and Paddy Kelly in the Academy is there any reason to be optimistic?

Your last like kinda depresses me because it re-enforces what I suspect is happening, too many lads only concerned about their own club and not enough focus on the wider picture, and the branch either being too weak or too useless to fix it.

As an aside, I was surprised there was no comments here about the tweets from Bantry Bay RFC about the shitshow that is the women's club game in Munster. Just seems so badly run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do you think it’s reasonable that they should be selling out a 26k stadium for ordinary league matches?? For the interrupted 2019/20 season, they averaged just 500 fans fewer per game than Leinster for league games.

With regards the playing side, 9 player promoted from the academy suggests things are improving. The Coombes, the Wycherly’s, Casey, Healy, Shane Daly, Nash, O’Sullivan, Hodnett, Ahern, Barron. All guys 24 or under who’ve seen various degrees of game time since the beginning of last season. Some would have seen more but for injury.

And with the outgoing CJ, Holland, JJ, Sweetnam, Cronin, Marshall, will continue to see more game time this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No team in Europe averages 26,000 a year. The attendances are generally fine at Munster, it's just the empty seats/terrace stand out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That full international pack was a fluke and had more to do with the AIL than anything done by the branch. It had never happened before in the history of Irish rugby.

The Limerick clubs and schools have never worked together. Just like today schools players were barred from playing for their clubs during the 90s when those players you mentioned came through as well.

The exodus from Limerick of kids in their late teens and early 20s to Dublin and abroad in the late 00s and early 10s can't be ignored either. Limerick was one of the worst hit areas in the country during the recession.

I mean there are plenty of issues with the branch. It's nowhere near perfect, but nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. You're taking an extremely one sided view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

The AIL was legendary back then. I used to watch the highlights on Sports Stadium.

I used to check the Player Ins and Out in the Examiner.

• Advertisement

Love how two of your three points are down how bad the branch are but you end up by saying the branch aren't that bad, classic.

It's the branch's role to get the schools and clubs working together, or at least it should be, but somehow, despite being founded over 140 years ago they still can't manage that relationship properly.

I know all about the recession's impact on Limerick, I'm as much an exile from that as anything, but that was a decade ago, a competent organisation would have adapted better by now.

I love Munster, i want to see them succeed but this idea we'll get back to the top, consistently, without asking and answering hard questions is way off imo. Well, we could pox it if we keep finding people to buy us SA players...

Anyhow, give it socks, what are the "plenty of issues" you see with the branch?

Many of those guys from North Munster?

I don't think I suggested they should sell out TP for every match? But there's a gap between where they are and where they could be, imo. Every undersold match and un-sold ticket is revenue lost. The "ah sure, it's grand, we're grand" attitude is partially why Munster are **** broke as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That period of producing that many internationals was a freak, unique one off. Even taking into account in amateur era and selectors, Leinster/Ulster having 2 votes and Munster 1 which meant Munster players regularly lost out to weaker players but guys who had the votes.. Munster have never had such a strong pack. That there has been a big reduction isnt great but other areas have stepped up. Limerick clubs at age grade and schools dont work together but its a very long term issue to get more players through. There is a perception when AIL was strong Limerick was strong which is true but all those Limerick AIL winning sides were full of players from outside the city with players from junior clubs at the time.

We're over 25 years into the pro era, why do you think a professional organisation can't sort out the divide between clubs and schools in a small city?

The other areas stepping up doesn't really excuse the collapse in Limerick rugby, and considering the decline in the standard in the team's results, it isn't masking it either.

Because its a very complicated issue and involves nearly all schools in the city including all the largest male schools. Its not easy to sort out as there is so many different stakeholders involved...

What would you suggest as a solution if you think it should have been sorted then?

• Advertisement

I'd follow the GAA on it, wouldn't panel players away from their clubs, work towards an integrated school and club season. Clubs are the homes of players before and after school so need to be the bedrock of the system. Ideally every senior cup player would be affiliated with a local club and play for them throughout the senior cycle.

There would be conflicts I'm sure but I'd rather have them pulling together if even against me, than the current divided set up.

tear it apart all you like, I don't think it's revolutionary or anything. Feel to propose your own solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You criticised them for struggling to sell out ordinary league matches. That’s an expectation that’s beyond reasonable for a 26k stadium, imo. Particularly for much-maligned league games.

Imo, Munster’s league attendances are reasonable. And their European attendances compare favourably with any team.

With regards player development, the province is called Munster, not North Munster. They are clearly doing some things right in some areas. Three seasons ago, this argument on here was “lack of Munster players”

I’ll defer to you with regards school / club status etc. you’re more knowledgable than me on it, and where the issues are, but it seems to me things can’t possibly be as bleak as you’re painting them to be given the number of young, homegrown players now getting game time.

I think it depends what you mean by bleak, earlier in the thread I said i fancied our chances in the league because I think Leinster will probably decline if Cullen is going. We also have a very strong second row, which we've lacked for years. Our front row is weak though, hopefully Knox (another import from SA) can come through more. A fit Carbery (if he ever recovers form) is still somewhat unproven to me but he could be great etc.

However, I think things like a fairly callow Leinster development side nilling our development side last week (another aside, Keith Woods' son was on Munster's panel, don't think it was remarked on here. I remember Keith ripping up the AIL, old age is shaking my hand), show we aren't still right underage.

It's also for me the type of Munster we want. I want a fully Irish side playing, and ideally a fully Munster side but I know that's not everyone's preference. Some fans want success more than local lads playing, and I do understand that position too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Do you honestly think that hasn't been thought of before? Schools and clubs in Limerick have been fighting with each other for a very long time and will never see eye to eye

Why, in your view, is that?

And how would you solve it?

Because frankly it's weak that a pro sport can't sort out its underage structures.

Because the schools have too much power in the branch and they are not going to give that up.

I've seen a lot of people,much better at politics than I could ever be, try to solve this problem and none have gotten close so I can't answer that.

This pro sport is also competing against the GAA which puts up more barriers, in my experience, to playing club rugby than the schools could even dream of.

We had an agreement with a GAA club that we'd stagger training days, which club do you think renaged on that deal?

So the branch is so weak a handful of schools can dictate its underage policy? I mean I know they are incompetent but that's a different level of sheer crapness.

You asked, I answered, take out of it whatever you want.

Out of interest, what's your answer to this problem? Apart from the approach you mentioned which was floated about 18 years ago and shot down by those very schools, caused a lot of trouble in the branch at the time

I've already told you what I would do, i'd still do it and face down the schools.

Any grown man who still cares beyond a passing interest in what their old school is up to at underage sports is already a weirdo, imo.

You cant follow the GAA on it because there is several key differences especially the seasons. The seasons dont overlap in GAA in the main which makes playing schools and clubs easier also you can play both easier in GAA. Schools players should and in Munster are affiliated, members of clubs but when would you have them play with clubs when theyre already getting 3 sessions a week and 15-18 games a season with their schools?

Id leave kids in Limerick rugby schools just play schools rugby at 16s(JCT), 17s(TY), 19s(sct level). Let the schools field 3/4 teams if theyve the numbers and then have end of season club competitions when schools competitiions finish in early march. you then get the kids playing rugby and there is none of what happens every year where you have to wait and see what limerick clubs are fielding and which have to combine/cant field at all. this also leaves rest of province just get on with the youths competition

• Advertisement

And I told you that was tried and didn't work, facing down the schools....if it was that easy it would have been done a long time ago.

You say you think underage needs to be fixed and then say anyone interested in the team they played for as a kid is weird, who is going to fix it? The first years?

Problem there is, the kids not playing schools rugby will bugger off and pick up another sport.

Even if I agree broadly with what you're saying, if you panel players for any year you'll always get some dick of a coach who'll panel guys just because he can, lads will end up repeating years etc because the prospect of Munster honours is there for him (which tbf, used to happen in my time too), etc.

The club link needs to be maintained and fostered all the way through school, imo. If they drop out of the clubs for a full season at those ages it can be hard, ime, to get people back.

I don't think it's impossible to work out an integrated school and club season if everyone knew at the outset what weekends were club weekends and what weekdays were school match days.

Despite this thread being focused on the pro side of Munster, I've very little time for a schools sports programme that isn't there to foster a life long love of the game and make students ultimately into fitter, happier people.

I don't think it would be easy, but it's still worth doing.

Maybe the first years would be better at fixing it since it seems the adults in the room can't.

In Limerick city nearly all the secondary schools with boys play rugby so if you have these schools getting more teams fielded as theyre not worried about the issues now then wheres the problem. schools will field 3/4/5 teams so kids will be playing rugby still.

I've thought more about your proposal and while there's merit to it, the panelling has to stop imo. Why not, therefore, just designate certain school years as "club-orientated" years and others and "school-orientated" years, ie, you'd still play for both but in a club year the bulk of the games would be at club level and in a school year the bulk of the games would be a school level. make it a proviso that if you want to play in a school orientated year you have still have to play (say) 5 clubs games and vice versa. For a club orientated year, you could still play schools but the comps at that level would be club focused first and foremost.

That way the schools would have their players for their vanity projects and the clubs would retain a link to players right throughout school.

It doesnt have to stop. What years would you designate schools or clubs orientated. thats a very difficult thing to do and while keeping links to clubs is essential. The kids are in school 5 days a week 6 hours a day at minimum. Keep them playing through the schools and 2nds, 3rds, 4ths at each level and then have end of season competitions for clubs as well as easter tours etc which means club links are kept,

dismissing schools competitions as vanity projects is ridiculous

They are definitely vanity projects. It's an underage competition, virtually meaningless in the wider context of the sport and yet they get excessive media coverage here. Some schools (not so much in Munster tbf though Glenstal...) spend a lot of money on them, a bizarre amount really, imo.

All that would be fine (ish) but now we are being told the (Limerick) schools are putting their underage competitions ahead of the overall health of the sport in the region and lads are shrugging their shoulders and acting like the schools are some mafia you can't possible take on and win. (forget it Marge, it's Chinatown...)

The Branch are extraordinarily inept if they can't pull a handful of schools into line.

As for the years, 2nd, 4th and 5th as club years.

Ah if you are going to dismiss the schools cups as vanity projects there is little point even discussing this any further. Ive been a vocal critic on here for years about the way the age grade system is covered or at least schools rugby is covered but to dismiss them as vanity projects is incredibly insensitive and ignorant. The most important thing is that kids play rugby. Not where they play. Now there needs to be club competitions for city clubs to capture the attention and interest of those not in a rugby school or for whatever reason do not want to play in their school but saying 2nd, 4th, 5th are club years means nothing. All school sides junior and senior will have players from across the year groups playing for the school side so you cant have club years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyways back to the rugby. The team for tomorrow is in. Interesting selection at 13.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Keith Earls, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, RG Snyman, Jack O’Sullivan, Rowan Osborne, Ben Healy, Simon Zebo.

Advertisement