Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Lads are getting too caught up in the term multiple species. A multiple species sward can be composed of just grass. No issues with weed control or persistence but yet gives some benefit for improving n efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭endainoz

Nobody is saying the farmer isn't feeding meal to supplement supply, which they would have done while using N aswell. To be fair I'm not too up on dairy and returns so not going to comment on milk averages, this just shows what can be done. Nobody is saying to stop using lime if needed or slurry/dung on ground. I don't really buy the argument of it's easy to do in good land either, as you said people need to adapt to see what works for their own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mother of God that 40k saved, she actually should be sacked for that level of ignorance, thats like 50% or so more than my fertilizer bill for the whole year and I'm an above average Size dairyfarm, it must of been based off a 1000 cow farm spreading 250k worth of fertilizer a year?, And even then that chap would know all about it if he just slashed his fert use by 40k lol.

Post edited by Timmaay on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

On wet heavy cold ground, in a bad year you'll maybe get 180 productive days from your fields, pippas example might get 270 odd days, that allows him to get alot more of his feed requirements from grazing, while lads that often endure 5-6 month winters are trying to conserve as much forage as possible in the summer months to get them through the winter, its hyperbolic saying the lad on wet ground should be able to farm away like the lad down in Cork on early dry land

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm not sure where your getting your last sentence from. Good and marginal land obviously don't compare, everyone needs to do whatever suits their ground. MSS is definitely a viable alternative for farmers, it won't suit everyone, no but I have not seen any other reasonable ideas. It won't achieve much giving out on boards about fert prices. Anyway, getting a bit off topic, there already is an MSS thread.

• Advertisement

Equivalent of 160 ton of 27% sulpha can bought in at 250 euro a ton of a average, so on 300 acres would be just shy of 1.25 ton/ha of it going out on his 300 acre farm our 335 kgs of pure n/ha been put on, with these clowns in government I'd say a generator might be a good purchase with the electricity grid worries coming down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

We're in 2021 now, thats 3 years, if your stocked at 3 plus per hectare on the milking block, you can't just reseed the whole place next spring, stock have to be fed.

As you know I already have mss on my farm and will sow more, but it won't solve anybodies problems next spring, thats all I was saying. Its the practicalities I think she's missing not the long term ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I think it's it really going to focus farmers thought on when and how much we spread for the better. The best return on fertiliser is when spread in late spring and earlier autumn. This helps to make use of when our growth rates are good and soil temps are in our favour.

With the closed season on spreading extending and the prices that are likely to be endured, the early spring spreading of up to 70 units looks likely to be finished. Will this make us consider letting the start and mean calving dates slip by two weeks, thus letting a slightly bigger cover to be grazed by mid April.

In my own set up, it's the silage fertiliser that is the big spend. Heavy ground as @jaymla627 said, the need for 6mths fodder in the yard is a must. Do we pull back numbers slightly and let a natural buffer build. Using fertiliser efficiently to maximize growth when it is rising.

With nitrates, closed season, fertiliser and potentially grain prices changing, regulation is pinching the final 10% gains that farmers have made especially in the past 10 years. Is reducing our stocking levels a small fraction, going to be the most economical solution. Getting a system 90% efficient is reasonable expectation, pushing for the final 10%, is costly on a number of fronts, mainly financial - (everyday and capital costs), but more pressing is the farmers own health both physical and mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

anybody have experience of this "supersoil" stuff advertised on donedeal.

www.supersoil.ie

/www.donedeal.ie/fertilisers-for-sale/break-your-addiction-to-chemical-fertilisers/27994847

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't know do many remember the teagasc farm in solohead in tip , or have access to it's figures , I'm pretty sure it was low input farming on heavy ish ground ( not terrible though ) , and freisan style cows , I think it was basically a clover system sticking out some urea in spring .. but Ive zero idea what their productivity ended up at ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yeah, was up there recently, very interesting and plenty to take home but like a lot of things plenty of caveats as well. Has convinced me more on the clover front but they have little mass in mss, and from what I've seen elsewhere so far I'd agree.

They may be a heavy farm in tipp, but they wouldn't have the level of rainfall we have down here as well as being off the scale for p due to tipp coop using it for sludge historically.

Another takeaway from it, which would be awkward to manage is timing of K application. Often put out in autumn to minimise its effect re grass tetany and silage too rich for dry cows but he reckoned the reason its effect on the cow is reduced is because spread late in the year its more likely gone out the gate. Why I've spread K every second round or so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nitrogen is currently getting the big lift but China announcement that it won't be exporting phosphorus at least till next June but probably longer is going to be as big an issue. The cheapest got p and 40% of the global market.

MSS is certainly going to be the way forward, especially for those on good land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not over impressed with P Hackett's tale. The stocking rate is very low at 1.6 acres (200 cows on 325 acres) per cow where many/most dairy farmers would be at 1 cow per acre or 2.5 cows/Ha. At 66 cows per 100 acres her example was at organic levels of stocking.

If he started MSS swards in 2018 how far advanced could he be by 2021? What % of the farm was MSS by 2021? 200 acres at 300/400 per acre would cost 60 to 80K. No chemical N on the grazing so obviously some was spread for the silage.

Naivety or wish fulfilment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Maybe like inflation, prices will rise with input costs, when was the last time we were getting 37c a litre base? I'm clutching at a silver lining

I'd rather take last years milk price and input prices over the craic at the minute, we aren't to far away from hyper inflation, and their isn't a hope in hell the co-ops will rise milk price enough to compensate, they already have jk running stories about how gas prices are increasing processing costs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's different grassland management ,I've seen guys putting out urea just in spring , to get grass growth , but then grazing has to be carefully managed so as not to smother the clover , the clover will hold its own come may , and then go mad once it warms up a bit .. but it needs to flower at some point during the year - so needs to be closed for silage at some point. . And you can't carry heavy covers over winter .. different again for distant silage ground ..

Which is all grand if you can afford to destock a bit - not so great if youre up to your tits in debt...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t understand this fully.

when it comes to end of year accounts, you have x amount of fertiliser in hand, nearly like an asset.

instead of having the cash, you have fertiliser. Would it not be the following year that when the fertiliser would be used and be counted as a cost then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Technically it should be but accountants just put it through the accounts in the year it was bought. However dairy lads that did not his in 2020 have a bigger problem this year. If any have sense they will use it as an opportunity to start a pension

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Many people dont count it as an asset if left at end of year

The only bit of information the journal bothered printing re the fertilizer production shutdowns in Europe this week, looks like roughly 66% plus of capacity is offline, I think circa Europe was 90% sufficient in nitrogen production before this, unless their is huge stockpiles of product at these factories for shipping out, I don't know where the shortfall in product will be made up from till they start the factories back up again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone ever used that Sobac soil enhancer fert?

any good?

claiming you can reduce your N by 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

It definitely has merit. The question is how much. Never used

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

If Pippa has the answer you are asking the wrong question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Funny how all current stock shot up in price even though it was in co op yards, if global market had collapsed we would be told saving wouldnt be passed on until current stock was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Ahem to that...priced fert last week and nearly dropped at the price...said that same line and told that is fresh stock...farmers price takers every way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

pippa would be the last person i would be asking for advice

giving us all an example of a farmer with a good bit more land than national av along with more dairy cows over the national av

• Advertisement

basically an outline by the industry of how even with a resumption that factories will not meet Spring demand across Europe. Not that they expect a resumption.

Advertisement