Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"The applicable current hEN for aggregates for concrete is EN 12620 and, as far as we know, this hEN does not impose any limits on the mica content of concrete products. As such the Council has no authority to regulate the amount of mica in any concrete product."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Is this a quote from the document I linked to or from somewhere else?

Please don't post a quote without providing details of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Unlike some of the genius posters here i dont know enough about this to comment either way if the redress is fair or not.

I do wonder why there isnt more being made of the supplier, homebond or the other stakeholders in this but that will come out in time i suppose.

What I do think should be noted and complimented is the way that this group are protesting. They are not getting fobbed off by political talk of reports, or excuses that push the can down the road. The media were very slow to take up this story and the people affected are showing exactly what you need to do for this government to take notice, and fair play to them.

• Advertisement

It is from the document you linked to which I quoted in my post to refer to the source. See number 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'd expect there'll streamline the types of houses, 3 or so designs fully costed instead of the all kinds of everything that's there now ,probably be a clawback if the house is sold within a period, Wherever they got the €350k from ,that's mad

There is over 5,000 houses affected by Mica and the government managed 'Only eight affordable purchase homes will be delivered this year under €310m fund'. Once the 100% redress is agreed in whatever version it finally ends up being there is the issue of who will build them. The competition for construction workers will drive prices up throughout the country to levels never seen at a time that materials are also extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it would make sense for one large company to get the contract to rebuild these homes, if that's possible.

I don't know much about the building trade, but I'm sure there are huge companies out there who would be willing to take on a 2 billion euro contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Big problem with that is you'll have the BAM tactic of starting and never finishing anything without more money being added

• Advertisement

If it wasn't for Paddy Diver this issue wouldn't be getting much national attention. That man should never have to pay for a pint again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

5000 is only the tip of the iceberg. What about second homes, business premises, commercial buildings, rentals etc? No mention of this. I know of a business woman who built her office circa 2002. Crumbling and no access to redress. She employs around 15 staff. Business is now on the line. Would cost upwards of 700k to rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

On Primetime one of the representatives of this group was stating that it would cost the majority of those affected € 100k more than the € 350k limit that has been suggested, he also stated that some 40% of the properties affected so far were in excess of the € 350k cap.

This would suggest that the rebuild costs of say 30% of the properties are in excess of € 450k (assuming the he means the majority of the 40% are 100k plus over)

Considering the above, it would be very interesting to compare the declared property tax valuations of these homes with reference to the claimed rebuild cost, bearing in mind that the property tax valuation includes the land element.

As my dad said earlier, cap it at peoples declared property value.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My property tax is in the lowest band because the house is worthless due to mica. Once I get onto the scheme, I'm exempt from the property tax. Work that one out.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Newspapers are reporting the working group report was "circulated" late last night. Does anybody have a link to it?

If your house was falling down around you how much would you expect its market value to be?

I havent checked but the report was leaked to RTE so it might be on its website.

Have any engineers come forward and made it clear how it is possible to 'repair' Mica affected houses which seems to be the proposed solution in the working group report according to news reports?

Rebuild costs and value aren't the same thing.

There can be a huge difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Look back over the last few pages. Engineers are now refusing to sign off on the repair job being proposed which is replacing outer layer of blockwork only.

This will leave "repaired" houses uninsurable, unsellable and in a lot of cases needing a full demolition anyway when the inner walls and foundations crumble at a later date.

They are calling for inclusion of other minerals not covered in the current scheme which are causing damage - specifically to inner walls and foundations. e.g. pyrrhotite.

• Advertisement

I have seen the draft Working Group Report - A lot of covering old ground but here is what they are going to consider for improvement in this draft document:

Matters agreed by the working group to be put forward for consideration as improvements to the Scheme in the immediate term:

1. Exempt Development Status - Put in place regulations to confer exempt development status on like for like replacement of DCB homes

2. Financial Barrier to Scheme Entry – Revise application processes so the homeowner is only required to submit a building condition assessment (likely cost €500-750), similar to the PRB scheme, and thereafter the Housing Agency, on behalf of Local Authorities takes on the assessment, testing and categorisation of homes and recommendation of the appropriate remediation option to the LA

3. Methodology for Grant Calculation - To be based on a cost per square foot, discounted as appropriate, to exclude the cost of foundations, betterment, salvage etc. SCSI to be asked to determine the appropriate cost per square foot using their existing rebuild cost indicator for insurance purposes

4. Alternative Accommodation Costs – Agreed in principle but quantum yet agreed.

5. Septic Tanks – Allow subject to an overall expenditure cap of €2,000

6. Expenditure Caps – Increase the current expenditure caps by the agreed alternative accommodation costs for each of the 5 remediation options

29 | P a g e

7. State Guarantee – Allow a second grant application for remediation options 2, 3, 4 and 5 if the original blockwork retained in the home after the first remediation subsequently requires replacement. The second grant option to go with the home rather than the homeowner

8. Percentage Grant Awarded – Allow a 100% grant, subject to the revised expenditure caps, for each of the remediation options 2, 3, 4 and 5. These remediation options have some equivalence with the Pyrite Remediation Scheme as they involve repairs to the existing home. Option 1 involves complete demolition to foundation level and rebuild of the home.

So whats being reported in the media this morning looks correct - full demolition is not being included in the 100% grant.

Who are the people with appropriate expertise, basically engineers, who have proposed repairing rather than rebuilding affected houses? There must be a report with named individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Sounds crazy if they're then offering to repay if the repair doesn't work

Politically you could say that by the time the inner walls and foundations fail it will be someone else's problem. New government and possibly new civil servants.

So kick the can down the road for someone else to deal with.

On a positive note there has been a delegation (engineers included) over at the European Commission to discuss this scandal a few days ago:

This could open the way for the EU to step in if the Irish Government dont follow EU legislation and sort this mess properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Were the Suppliers and developers of these houses ever brought to court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

One thing I've noted in the two media interviews - RTE Radio 1 this lunchtime and Prime Time last night, is that the interviewers from RTE are incredibly adversarial, bizarrely so in PT's case , which I cannot get my head around, particularly when the groups reps explain exactly why redress should be 100%.

im yet to see anyone from the government grilled on why its gone on so long and why this is happening, what safeguards have failed and what changes to legislation are coming to ensure it isnt going to be repeated. And why after the pyrite problems changes were not made to ensure enforcement of standards.

Sometimes you cant go a week without hearing Tom Mcpharlane from the construction industry federation on the radio, no sign of him talking about this.

Essential listening here especially the 2nd half of the clip.

Details of engineers concerns with the redress scheme in its current form and more info on the talks in Europe including what sounds like a class action coming sooner than we think.

I dont have much confidence in the negotiations with our government but whatever the outcome of that its great to have this in the pipeline to keep the pressure on our joke of a government to hold someone to account for this mess and give proper compensation.

I have yet to hear this really important question being asked in the media since all this began:

"Can the Government now confirm that all material coming out of Irish quarries is fit for purpose".

• Advertisement

It's really shocking. In the clip I posted engineers talk about blocks with 15% mica and low cement content being produced from quarries in August 2020. Complaints were made to Donegal County Council in 2009.

Advertisement