Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We have to ability to refuse them after only months of due process. months of expenses passed onto the taxpayers...

• accommodation
    • food
    • healthcare
    • Travel

both my folks lost their medical cards... but this ^^^

we need to protect and prioritize the health, wellbeing and safety and quality of life of people here, Irish taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I have tried different cuisines , married 2 non nationals , lived abroad experienced different cultures obeyed their laws .

I have not changed my opinion of immigration .

As I said, we can refuse asylum seekers. The reason It may take time is because of our system.

I agree that the quality of life here should be protected, that's not an either or situation, they can do both.

So high unemployment among non EU is not a problem and the matter does not need adddressing . A good reply when you cannot disagree or defend it .

It’s an either or situation... my parents loose medical cards, asylum seekers get given medical cards...

• Advertisement

Do you think they took the cards away from your parents and gave them to someone else? Lol

two completely unrelated actions.

No, they took their cards away in order to spend that money enabling the health and wellbeing of others ‘Lol’

I think most take your off the cuff remarks with a grain of salt .

No, they did not.

Your parents card was taken for whatever reason, some income reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t say high unemployment among non-EU wasn’t a problem, you’re saying that.

John Doe cherry picked a handful of statistics from the link he gave and in his opinion they were interesting. I only gave my opinion that they’re not particularly interesting, and asked whether John expected full employment of immigrants, pointing out that there isn’t full employment among highly skilled, highly educated Irish people, so I don’t expect immigrants would fare much better than Irish people themselves.

Surely it would be as obvious to you as it is to anyone else that unemployment whether low or high among any section of the population is an issue which requires addressing to determine why they are unemployed, and what resources or supports are necessary to help people who wish to gain employment?

Generally speaking any analysis would begin with what barriers job seekers are encountering, and in the case of immigrants, one of the main barriers they encounter is discrimination by potential employers. Another explanation is that they may not have very good English, or simply none at all. If we take for example the Congolese nationals who had the highest unemployment rate at 63% -

Of the 1,009 Congolese in Ireland in April 2016, 527 persons were in the labour force and 333 were unemployed giving them an unemployment rate of 63.2 per cent, the highest of any group.

As a former Belgian colony, their English probably isn’t great (national language is French), so that’s likely to be a considerable disadvantage in a country where the primary language in business is English. They’re also likely to face discrimination on account of the fact that not only are they immigrants, but from the Congo. It’s not a huge issue in the overall scheme of things given that there are just over 300 of them unemployed in Ireland, but that’s not suggesting it isn’t worth looking at the reasons why they’re unemployed and seeing how they could be helped to gain employment.

It would be far more worth investigating why for the majority of immigrants with poor English who are employed, they’re employed in low-paying, labour-intensive industries -

Almost 33,900 people who did not speak English well or at all were at work in April 2016. Nearly one in ten (9.2%) of these worked in restaurants, with another 8.3 per cent in building and services. A new entrant to the top ten industries in 2016 was those working in Residential care and social work with 1.8 per cent of workers.

The occupation with the largest numbers for this same group is cleaners, with 4,024 (11.9%) in this category, followed by food, drink or tobacco operatives, with 2,379 persons (7%). Elementary construction workers complete the top ten with 599 workers (1.8%) in this category.

Certainly from those figures, it would appear that not only does Ireland require immigrants who are highly skilled and highly educated, but we need a considerable amount of low-skilled, poorly educated immigrants too to fill the employment needs of labour-intensive industry sectors in order to maintain the appearance for some people that Ireland is a rich country.

• Advertisement

They did in fact :)

They are both retired, over 75/80 when the cards were originally taken. They have savings and their pensions, both have medical conditions ...no great surprise that our friend Leo was Taoiseach... :) focused on enabling employers here with an increased population via multiculturalism and cheaper labor costs... but their needs need to be state financed so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

My dad had done numerous jobs for the state around the world when he was working for the NSAI, he’d been headhunted by private business regularly such was his rep but he stayed put, my mother was working in education at St Michaels House... so contributed a fair amount over and above over many decades.... thanks ? Ohhh yeah “ we’ll take those medical cards from you “ THANKS ! My dad, with 3 different problems Mum with 1...

IF that is happening the availability of people to arrive here to receive assistance needs to be capped, that is the primary driver of multiculturalism ...if we can’t afford to look after our own first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Im shocked your family couldn't petition to get them back, not to pry but what justification was given for taking them ?

I had heard of some medical card withdrawals circa 2014 but not since, I may have not been paying attention to the area. Once people hit retirement age after paying into the pot all their lives the least that should be done is to be given medical cards. Thats the least we can do like.

I ‘think’ it was because both had private pensions and state pensions , I’m not sure if savings were means tested...or if that’s a thing. Either way the private pensions were and had to be paid into...for years before they were on good money. multiculturalism has the potential to impact our health negativly if we are not of the ability to directly decide how it’s enabled and limit it if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

It would be far more worth investigating why for the majority of immigrants with poor English who are employed, they’re employed in low-paying, labour-intensive industries

@One eyed Jack their immigration status is what's worth investigating. If they're here and employable then they are going to be employed and drive the wages down.

Well, yes, I’d agree that every immigrant who is employed, their immigration status is worth investigating to ensure that they aren’t being exploited for their labour (an employer found doing so is liable to be prosecuted). But as for any influence immigrants in employment may or may not have on wages, that’s a bit more difficult to quantify - there’s certainly evidence to support the idea that immigration does have a negative impact on wages, but that negative impact is balanced out by the positive impact of immigration overall on the economy.

Certainly though if you’re a politician or a party with a history of failed social and economic policies, it’s always good to play up to the electorates prejudices by way of distracting people from reality like it’s not you as a politician who influences social and economic policies…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Born Galway. My Da’s side of family goes back generations Eire. My Mum was American with both sides French immigrants. Was raised Irish but left for the States on a university scholarship. Now work across the pond at university. Is my ancestry multicultural?

There are enough workers in the EU to fill any gaps .

Clutching at straws now, trying to blame immigrants because someone earns too much for a medical card 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

And own businesses that gain massively from wages being driven down, but hey racist something something.....

Lots of talk from the main French presidential candidates and potential candidates. Whoever gets elected is going to finally have to implement proper policies, the French people won't put up with it for much longer.

"Mr Barnier claimed his role in negotiating the EU-UK Brexit trade deal gave him an insight into the political dangers posed by immigration not shared by many in the Brussels elite.

“I negotiated the Brexit deal, and this is what makes me different from the rest of those guys in Brussels. I don't want another Brexit. 

“What is tough and serious is a problem of migration which are not controlled,” he said."

The tide might be starting to turn... people are just getting fed up of terrorism and its importation. europol website makes for grim reading, the pandemic is the only reason for a fall off in attacks, planned attacks and arrests, before the pandemic there was a huge rise in Islamist terrorism in the EU... last decade was worrying..post pandemic I’d think there will be a continuation,

That’s somewhat besides the point though, isn’t it? Your original point was that I didn’t seem to have any issue with the high rate of unemployment among non-EU nationals in Ireland. That has nothing to do with the number of people across the EU who are already employed.

It’s that sort of rhetoric is used in the examples I gave above of Leo and his determination to lead “the party for people who get up in the morning”, or Boris with his rallying declaration that “big corporations are holding wages down because they have access to so many workers from other countries”, and “the UK needs to think about how we control immigration.”

I’m not in control of Irelands social and economic policies, are you? It’s politicians who are responsible for their countries economic and social policies. You can’t hold immigrants responsible for things they have no control over, when they have even less influence over economic and social policies than the people Leo and Boris are dog whistling at without explicitly referring to the unemployed or immigrants. They let your imagination do it’s thing if you’re already given to thinking you’re experiencing the negative impact on society of the unemployed and immigrants, and if it weren’t for them, society would be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Reminds me of what my uncle used to say about bad drivers on the road - Don't blame them, blame the fcuking idiot that gave them their licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well obviously it's not the immigrants coming to take our medical cards! But there is a sizeable amount of them that don't contribute al all or don't contribute enough hence stretching the HSE budget thinner. The thresholds for mean testing for medical cards are not set in stone, they are tailored to fit the budget.

If you ask me, a well off or even wealthy OAP should be able to enjoy "free" healthcare in their retirement days (not free because they contributed all their active life), whereas an immigrant that didn't contribute squat should not. This will be quite fair, wouldn't it? If only life were fair...

I dont see the logic of allowing asylum seekers into the country who fail to get refugee status getting residence and being unemployed . I have no objection with those who come to work .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Le Pen has set the trend.

The others know that Le Pen will waltz into power if they continue the shytology as more and more ordinary native French and even legitimate immigrants working there from other places are fed up of all the attacks on the French secular and relaxed christian way of life.

And you are either ignorant or willfully ignore the economic fallout from growing numbers of asylum seekers and refugees.

There isn't a bottomless pit of public money and increased spending on all the supports necessary for asylum seekers/refugees means someone else has to pay.

You either increase taxes or cut someone else's benefits.

It is simple economic fact.

And asylum seekers and refugees, especially the poorly educated ones we have been getting, add a huge drain on state resources.

Someone some time back put up the actual spend involved in housing some Syrian (or supposedly Syrian) refugees in Clare.

The cost is astronomical when you factor in housing, medical cards, dentristry charges, transport costs, education and training supports and all these fancy integration courses.

They get more than a native normal unemployed person, and we have enough of the long term will not work unemployed without adding to it.

Of course all of this is ignored by people like you and anyone that raises it is lambasted as racist and bigoted.

And funnily enough a lot of the ones ignoring the costs are the very ones financially benefiting from these asylum seeker/refugee people.

In other words the ones with their gobs in the taxpayer funded troughs.

I am not allowed discuss …

Interesting statistics here ( Warning, it's from the Russian Ministry of Defense and may be triggering for some of the more sensitive souls on this thread 😀)

Few points:

Merkel originally stated in 2015/2016 that the Syrian refugees were expected to go home when this was over. While I 100% think she was lying, conditions are now allowing for this. Let's she if she makes any moves on this when she I presume moves into some sort of leadership role in the EU following her exit from domestic German politics.

Since July 2018, Over 700,000 people have returned home from foreign states, mainly Jordan and Lebanon.

There are still just under 7 million refugees in 43 states of which 1.3 million from 15 states have expressed a desire to return home.

The vast majority of those returning are women and children, seems to be a severe lack of men willing to return for some reason?

Syria is clearly stabilizing, the war is over and Europe should be making preparations for the people to return to rebuild their country. I believe Europe should help with financial aid. I highly doubt that the current crop of politicians in Western Europe will facilitate this though.

Anyway, overall an interesting article with detailed statistics, although with some errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

One reason that the men are reluctant to return home is that a high % of able bodied men ( fighting age, if you like ) left because they dd not wish to fight and die for the Regime, and they literally escaped from Syria anyway they could. So now, unless you have a lot of money or good connection's, you will be in big trouble when you return. And will go either into prison or the army. Either case, your future does not look good. Most of the heavy fighting may be finished ( for now) but the war has ravished the Country,and inflation is another big problem there. So not an easy (or safe) country to live in. Maybe in another 4-5 years..... maybe. But if the conditions improved, then I'm pretty sure that most Syrian Refugees would prefer to ba back home, especially the older ones.

Advertisement