Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Meadows and Byrne have the first of their Christmas stock...

https://www.meadowsandbyrne.com/christmas.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was only 5 degrees this morning when I got up this morning. Time to unearth my hoodies cause going out the back this morning to clean up after the dogs was not fun in just tshirt and tracksuit bottoms! Nice to see Autumn weather finally setting in. It was odd celebrating Rudolph Day just gone and it being 20 degrees outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

OH mentioned about the heating this morning!! Electric blank was on last night to take the chill off the bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Noticed on the drive in this morning how dark it was too, and definitely chillier, actually turned the heat in the car up to 19 degrees... haven't had to do that in a long time, its been pretty much set at cold air for months.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone

Ryan Tubridy said it’s 8 weeks till the toy show he has lots to do between now and then and lots of dance practice

Just wondering have any of you got someone on your shopping list that you just think why do you bother? I know it’s not very in the spirit of Christmas but I always put thought into gifts and even if it some obvious gift I would do some nice wrapping etc with a little special touch

anyway long story short I have and I’ve been told by this very person many Christmas days, including hosting them for Christmas that they haven’t had time to wrap my present every year I’ve just been handed something totally random not wrapped not in gift bag, the year before last I got a bottle of red wine from said person I don’t drink red wine and I know I was an afterthought the wine was actually right before the tills in our local SuperValu and I can just hear them say oh I’ve nothing for Sarah grab that

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or their thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Definitely noticeably colder this morning. My phone said it felt -1° out at 07:30! I haven't ventured outside yet. As much as I love how the cold weather reminds me of Christmas, I suffer with very bad circulation, so I won't be leaving the house without gloves for the next six months. I'm much more suited to warmer weather. Time to root out all the winter gear I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh SarahLil, that's tough, especially when you go to so much effort. It reminds me a bit of Kris Kindle...they can be very hit and miss!

I'm the same as you, love finding a great gift for someone and wrapping it nicely etc. I suppose I think of it as doing it because I want to, it makes me feel good 😊 I guess I do it without any expectations from the other person, if you know what I mean.

I'd say to just do what suits you best. If you want to continue giving a nice gift, do but if it's bothering you, I'd just go down the token gift route instead 😉

@jellybear thanks for that I’ve toyed with the idea of saying it on here for awhile because I just love Christmas like all of you, I totally agree you don’t do it to expect anything in return but to be handed a present a couple of years now to be told I didn’t have time to wrap yours, as well as coming to me for Christmas,

thanks again for that yes I have went down the token route since last year, while pregnant last year I just decided I wasn’t putting myself in a position of plodding around the shops in a pandemic and pregnant,

@SarahLil, that's really rude of them to actually say they didn't have time to wrap it....some people just have no tact!🙈 Would it be very cheeky to go with the "Oh, I didn't have time to pick up a gift for you this year!" line 🤣 I actually think I would!

It's a tough situation though, especially if you have to see them each year!

Oh, on a different note, just saw Dunnes have some very cute my first Christmas bits just in that you might like 😉

• Advertisement

@jellybear thanks so much for giving me a laugh, it had crossed my mind 😂

Christmas at Dunnes is fab ❤️ I will be adding them to my basket x

Jees, even if we're gifting a bottle of wine we'll put it in a gift bottle bag, to just hand you a bottle of generic red wine & say you hadn't time to wrap it is pretty much a case of 'I cant be arsed going out of my way so this'll have to do' so I can totally understand not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling. We always get some extra gift bags for that very reason, with all the hassle in the run up we know theres a chance of forgetting someone so at the last minute can put something together as we'll always have tubs of chocs or bottles of wine in over the christmas. Theres no way i'd just hand it to them without at least the gift bag though...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Thanks @DvB yes I am the same myself I always have bottle bags and extra sweets

my OH would buy for clients and their staff etc at Christmas and always buys extra because people don’t forget these little things it’s nice when you are dealing with them all year to be appreciated so I always have extra cards for his clients along with bottle bags and sweets

Even if it’s spirits for someone I would get a nice mixer and put it with it and cellophane it with a nice bow

anyway I think it will be spirit and mixer for this person again this year that’s what I done last year …but the way I am I would love to add a lovely initial glass with a gift like this if it was anyone else plus chocolates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Am thinking of doing this at Christmas, I have the boxes already, just need convincing to spend money on the extra decorations to use instead of balloons

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a friend that I used to buy nice enough presents for, about the €40 mark.

We'd meet at Christmas for a catch up/coffee and my gift would be a €10 paperback or something along those lines.

I definitely don't give to receive, I tend to go overboard if anything- but just started buying her smaller gifts, still thoughtful, but more about the €10 - €15 mark. Levelling things up a bit just stopped me feeling annoyed every time we'd exchange gifts! Maybe that sounds petty. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My sister in law did that to me for years - always handed me something sh!tty that she didn't wand and would always say how she didn't have time to wrap it. One year she actually gave me a present of a shampoo set that had been opened and used. There was a gift card in it with her name on it that she forgot to take out. i'd always put time and effort into the presents i bought and would spend ages wrapping them as it's a job I love but i definitely got sense after that.

My in laws (OH's brothers) are like that. Every birthday for their kids my OH goes out of her way to get a nice present, have it wrapped, with a card and at their house on the day. For kids, they order it to our local Symth/Argos etc, expect us to pick it up and no card.

It's really get me annoyed and i've had to bite my tongue so many time at family get together 😡

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What have you started, Sarah?! 😛

This is like therapy. 😂😂

Thanks everyone I’m feeling better for sharing it here with you elves, thank you to you all for sharing with me

I know @Posy 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The first TV channels have gone over to Christmas formats - the Trace music channel that swaps and some extremely low rent movie channels.

They're generally so poor as to have the opposite effect of feeling Christmassy, but some enjoy them I guess.

Reminds me, must manually tune in the music channels on our sky box. Only have the 4 bog standard mtv channels with sky these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It is certainly it's getting colder at times.

I do think some people put no effort into presents. I sometimes wonder do they find the whole present thing sort of a pain.

I don't mind shopping for close family/friends/etc and generally have an idea.

This year I'm a little lost tough but it will probably work out in the end.

Also , it's the last day of September!

What do ye think of this extra Bank Holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep some ppl def see the presents process a chore

you know the type of gifts - selection boxes, lynx deodorant gift sets, box of roses, etc

dont get me wrong nothing against those presents themselves but it is a sign someone put as little thought as possible into the present - they didn’t “personalise” the gift

I know a family member who literally goes to the local Dunne’s or local dealz a week before Christmas and buys 4/5 boxes of sweets or biscuits, wraps them and then gives them to family and friends. So everyone gets same pressie.

just lacks that personal touch I suppose I’m saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

My SIL used to get me presents that were incredibly not me. If she Had a new bag and I politely said "your new bag is nice", even though I wouldn't buy it in a million years (we're polar opposites of taste), then I'd get one for Christmas. So for a couple of years I just didn't compliment anything, which isn't ideal. But now we just get a few bits as a couple so it's safe to be nice again 😁

Ah I can appreciate that some people (especially those with children) can have busy hectic lives and never more so than in the run up to christmas so can understand them not having the time to spend personalizing each gift, especially outside their immediate family group so end up buying generic gift sets etc. I have no issue with that really.

My issue there is the total lack of effort by not wrapping (even if its badly wrapped) or at least using gift bags, they're cheap enough add on's. But really its the token gift that's wholly unsuitable (such as red wine to someone who never drinks it) not wrapped and handed over as such when they know (well that's assuming they have the cop on to do so) the person is likely to have reciprocated with a far more expensive & thoughtful gift that just leads to a 'why do i bother' feeling from the recipient.

Exactly. It not about the cost or anything like that. It's more putting a tiny bit of effort in, especially, as you said the person you're giving it to will make a big effort on your gift.

A balmy 14 degrees out this morning!! Where did I put those shorts 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, anyone see Ireland AM this morning?

Deric, the weather lad is broadcasting from a ladies house in Tallaght where all the outdoor Christmas lights are switched on, they interviewed her a short while ago too lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah the present like a bottle of wine handed over in a brown paper bag or whatever, smacks of zero thought and effort put in - last minute dot com stuff :/

the worst I saw was a friend of mine who’s vegan and has been for years got a sort of Christmas presentation box of different types of little jars of pâté from a so called good friend of hers

she couldn’t eat them obviously and the gift giver seemed to either not care or didn’t even know she was vegan

How can you not know if a friend or family member has been a vegan for years? Fair enough if you're new to it, but years!? Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My Aunt has her Christmas wreath on the front door.

I'd say the neighbours are giving her mad looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Xmas jumper arrived today. Its a mix between a Xmas jumper and novelty all year round jumper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You would make a great sales person😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've built this years Lego Winter Village set. Now sitting on the mantlepiece; but I usually put them across the bookcases under the window in the living room - the tree goes in the kitchen/diner so we need something in the living room.

I'm going to see if I get away with adding another one a week from the back catalogue (I have six or seven I think).

I've also just realised that the set from two years ago, which is one of the few I'm missing, is still available. Probably on sale until March - ordered now.

I have to say I didn’t like it in the website photo but that’s pretty cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Went around and hung up a few posters in work to advertise the staff Christmas party.

Everyone hoping it goes ahead as a normal social event and a real buzz for it, a lot of people saying they are def going this year.

Aldi was fairly well stocked this evening this evening with Christmas stuff.

I also noticed there meats were moving towards more Wintery type meals.

• Advertisement

Happy October everybody.

I think it's the month after next.

wow. How is it October already.

Last out of season month until February 😃😃😃

Happy October Elves

heating on here most mornings but it felt extra cosy this morning with the autumn sunshine shinning in, it seems to be windy out so I’d say it’s crisp we haven’t ventured outside yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

When do "Christmas Experience" type things typically release information? Looks like the Aliwee Caves aren't bothering this year and I'd imagine there'll be others who do the same. I was pricing Elf Town in Galway and it looks like it'll be about €150 for us this year which is a bit expensive for what you get there.

Bookings for Causey Farms christmas experience is open.

Most who are doing anything this year I would say are open by now. I know Christmas Island in Hidden Valley is taking bookings (and is pretty full already!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya I thought that'd be the case alright. We were at Hidden Valley before alright and the kids loved it. Looking at keeping it local-ish this year with other commitments so we can go pick a tree etc that day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, it's October 1st so happy 2021 to everyone and I'm back on board for another run in to Christmas.

Hope everyone has had as good a year so far as possible.

From my own point of view, we've been lucky with how we've got through the year with no Covid and the only bad thing being one of the pets died last week. I have a major change coming up with starting a new job in mid November (just in time for the build up to Christmas but a bit sad I'll miss the work party with my current company).

We've started some of the shopping for the kids, particularly given that stuff may be delayed this year or potential shortages.

Really glad to be back on this particular forum and looking forward to all the fun chats and positivity for the next 3 or so months ♥️😀

Good to have you back Heroditas :)

I know we have some Christmas duvet fans here- George at Asda are now shipping some homeware here. Their duvets are really nice! https://global.direct.asda.com/george/home/bedding/D26M04,default,sc.html?cm_sp=Mobile-_-grghome-ie-_-george-_-tier1_block1-_-210921link01bedding

• Advertisement
Advertisement