Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Depends on who the ten is. Sexton is capable of carrying all the weight of playmaking on his shoulders and supplying the less creative Henshaw and Ringrose pairing. But Ross Byrne for example benefits from Frawley.

Get Ringrose to do the kicking and play them 10, 12, 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It isn't even a sample set yet, but in the 1 single game we’ve had so far Ringrose was very good. Made more metres than anyone else in the team other than McGrath, was joint highest in defenders beaten with Luke, won 2 turnovers, is down for 2 try assists, was one of the few with a clean line break to his name and is down for more passes than anyone other than Luke, JGP and Sexton while also carrying a good deal. And that’s just from the stats. About the only problem I saw from him was not straightening and fixing the Bulls 12 properly in the build up to the VDF try. But I can’t think of any other issues. He played well and hopefully that’s a sign of a return to form for him. They are obviously working on his play making and if he can find form and push on with that then he’ll be our best 13 hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think we've seen anything from Frawley to suggest he's on a level with the other two tbh, I don't think we will be reshuffling anything just to get him on the field, but that's just my take on it and he's still only 23 so plenty of time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think if you read the interviews with Stuart Lancaster today you would take from it he is very interested in having a 2nd playmaker/ "ballplayer" option in his back line and frawley at 12 potentialy offers this.. Ideally you would have multiple ballplayers across the back line.

He could also be a great bench option covering 10 12 and 15.

Also less than 12 months ago Ringrose won multiple awards for Irelands player of the year 2020. Last year he was riddled with injuries fracturing his jaw twice I think. Prior to that he was being talked as a probable for the lions.

While he has been away Henshaw has really flourished having gotten a nice injury free run himself.

I think a fully fit Ringrose And Henshaw for Leinster and ireland are a match for any centre pairing in Europe...

Saying all that I'd love to see a back line of

9. Luke. 10. Sexton. 11. Lowe 12 Frawley 13. Henshaw 14. RIngrose 15. Keenan.

With One of the Byrnes covering 10 and Larmour covering the other positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Considering it's made up of two players who have been described as world class at various times, I think the Henshaw/Ringrose partnership has been disappointing as an attacking force to date. My own view would be that they have been little more than functional in European semis and finals.

For me, we've yet to see Frawley's playmaking qualities come to the fore when he's playing 12. But maybe that split-second decision making ability would make the difference in unlocking a defence in a really big game against tough opposition. Lancaster seems to be on board anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ringrose had a mare last season. Broken jaw! Shoulder issues etc. Yet he still showed up and was selected. Frawley may yet turn out to be a top level player, but Ringrose is!

I'd think that Hume is going to be the next lad up! He plays week in and week out and has the tools.

Osborne will be there in a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've ditched most of my TV channels recently as was paying a fortune, is there still no way to get the Euro cup games on a stream? Is Now TV the only option? It's basically as expensive as getting them through the TV provider, I've no interest in most of what they show.

Just on Ringrose, he didn't have a good season last but he was badly disrupted by all sorts of injuries and couldn't get into a rhythm. He was/is/remains a class act. The season before he was the best player in the country. Have no concerns over him at all, hopefully he can stay fit.

There are always offers on Now TV, I don't think I've ever paid full price for a sports channel. You can get a month of it for €10 right now.

Watch BT Sport & Premier Sports Online with a Sports Extra Membership (nowtv.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you have a friend, you can split the login as you can watch on two devices simultaneously.

As FFF said, there is always an offer so you can ignore the full whack price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Plus you can cancel the sub when you want so once the season is over you can stop paying. I got a subscription for the European games last year then dropped it after the pools snd got it again for one month for the lions tests

6-2 split on the bench. I wonder why Osbourne isn’t involved….

Still no sign of Harry Byrne. Hopefully he’s back for next week. Otherwise that’s a pretty good side. Leavy back is great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Debut for Russell? Can't say I've heard of him before.

Competitive debut yeah. He played the pre season vs Quins. He wasn’t out of place at all. Obviously only there because we’re light in the back 3 department at the moment but it will be good to see how he gets on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rob played in the harlequins game and was very handy by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wasn't he the one that was taken out by the high tackle after about 20 minutes or so?

If so , he looked decent enough up to that point.

Always nice to see Dan Leavy on a team sheet. Considering Penny is also named, it will be interesting to see where they slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say the idea is Leavy for Ruddock and Penney for VDF all going to plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's interesting that Molony appears to be starting over Baird this season.

I wonder if that's the plan for the big games. With Baird being an impact player.

Molony/Ryan does seem more balanced.

Baird needs to prove he will do the basics consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm surprised that the side is that strong. I thought we'd get a look at Toner and Dooley for this one!

Delighted for Russell. Was very good at u20 level and I was surprised he wasn't selected for the academy. I think he's going to be on a full contract next season. With DK getting on and Adam Byrne's future not looking so bright any more, Russell could be a valid replacement option.

I would have liked to see Baird get the start. I'm not sold on him yet and these type of matches are perfect for a young lad to grow into his role.

I think there will be wholesale changes for next week. I can't see Ringrose or Ryan playing too many urc matches. Sheehan is getting a look right now and I hope he continues on from last week.

It's great to see Leavy and Deegan back. Fingers crossed that Leavy gets through the next while injury free!

I think we will see more "first team" regulars playing a bit more in the URC this year than previously in the pro 14 rainbow etc..

I think the competition stops in the NH during the November Internationals window and games will only be on the free bye weeks during the 6 nations window. I think between now and the 6 nations teams will be strong nearly ever week.

Makes the URC competition stronger.

If Leavy gets back to his best, I think our strongest backrow would be Doris at blindside, Leavy at openside and Conan at 8.

VDF really improved last season with Connors seeming to pip first choice so it's hard to say definitely, could be any of the three.

Remarkable amount of talent in the back row.

I think the nuts and bolts of Moloney's play in the second row outweighs the raw athleticism that Baird brings. Moloney a more physical looking player this season so I think perceptions of him may start to change.

Looking forward to the game, last week was thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

In a weird way, it's kind of a pity Leinster are so stacked at 6/8, because Baird is a textbook modern-day 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Very strong lineup for the Dragons away and great to see Dan the man back, surprised Osborne, Dooley and Adam Byrne not involved.

Russell is an interesting choice, they must highly rate him, hope he's a late bloomer and goes on to have the same impact Keegan has for Leinster.

apart from any time he has played there has been anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Even for leinster A Baird is not going to be a 6, unless we have an absolute monster 8 Ruddock allows us to have lighter more skillful 8s as he does an inhuman amount of donkey work I genuinely think he's Leinsters most valuable player, and yes I include sexton in that list.

Advertisement