Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is uk short on fuel, or just short on people to deliver it. Last night I heard a very loud plane, went onto flight radar and it was a US Navy fuel plane, can carry 55 tons of fuel it seems, so I tracked it online, just to see where it was going, landed in Cardiff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It wasn't a superiority complex so much as being trapped in a false dichotomy of having to choose either Brussels or Washington when a shrewd leader would have played one against the other. Instead, successive prime ministers eschewed a vital role they could have played in building an EU in such a manner as to be advantageous to the UK in favour of desperately lobbying Washington for nukes. France and Germany got tired of waiting and ploughed on themselves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In the original plans for C&SP/EEC it was the French had envisioned the UK playing a key leading role and we're desperate for them to be involved to act as a team to keep Germany forever under thumb.

Britain of course said no. Island nation alone against the word and all that and seeing themselves as next to not in Europe. Instead of the belligerent half committed role the UK played during it's time in the EU they could have chosen to shape the EU into the one they wanted from day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's the latter. They have ample supplies of fuel but are having a lot of difficulty getting it out to the filling stations - a breakdown in transport and logistics basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@ancapailldorcha wrote:

I've always thought that the line that people would just blame the EU made no sense.

The Tory press have, do, and will continue to absolutely try and blame the failings of Tory politicians on the EU. It's all they have ever known because it has worked so well for them for decades and the press have lapped it up because it stoked controversy and shifted newspapers. The gaslighting of an entire population shall continue for quite some time yet, despite said attempt showing signs of faltering in the face of cold hard daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well we know what a black hole UK has been for trucks in general as of today it got worse...

Under new immigration rules which come into force on Oct. 1 as part of post-Brexit measures to end freedom of movement, EU nationals will need a passport to enter the United Kingdom.

Why is this a problem? Well, as of the data from Calai (2019) only 17% of the HGV drivers showed a passport; how many drivers are going to get a passport simply to deliver to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy was a good book on all of the history to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

No, they are going to keep doubling down and play what is possibly their last card, Article 16

https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status/1443894675757309953

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Post edited by breezy1985 on

Is it working though? An opinion poll this week showed that a large number of people think Brexit is going badly. This is a bit precarious for the Brexit govt ; no matter who they try to blame, Brexit was always sold as an almost guaranteed success and that Project Fear was nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

They'll never rejoin the EU.

It would take a change of generation at minimum, before they could ever countenance loosing that much face.

Closer alignment without actual voting rights is the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When the UK applied to join the EEC, De Gaul said 'Non' much to the surprise and dismay of the British Gov of the day - but not just once - twice. De Gaul was against Britain for personal reasons (he felt he was treated badly in London as Leader of the Free French during WW II).

He was also against the UK farming policy which was cheap food subsidised by direct deficiency payments to farmers, while the EEC went for high prices subsidised by the EEC taxpayer, and high tariffs for third country imports. France had a lot of uneconomic small farms with a huge proportion of the population living on those farms. Britain also saw their place as facing west towards the USA, and not east towards Europe.

De Gaul was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

looks like the only real losers of FoM will be the British themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Brexit is unravelling much faster than I expected if I'm honest. Death by a thousand cuts is turning into death by a hundred blows of a hammer to the head. I expect that given the lifeboat of an US FTA has sunk beneath the waves, the UK government (if not this one then one prepared to do it) will throw the towel in and rejoin the SM and CU (but definitely not the EU) and let's be honest, the EU will be happy to have them back in those things as it makes life much easier for us too. I can now imagine the UK being back in the SM and CU before the end of the decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's not what I'm seeing of late. The media exists to sell itself and the EU horse was no longer floggable once we left in 2020. You can't blame the EU for petrol and food shortages once you've left the EU.

Yes & No. It's a book with a broad scope and a lot of data to parse through. I'd much higher recommend Philip Stephens' Britain Alone for anyone interest in the history of Britain's postwar relationship with Europe and the US.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I'd agree on the unravelling quickly part. Question Time had a lot of former Leave voters in the audience last night but very few were defending Brexit or trying to claim it is going well

Impossible to imagine any version of the Tory Party applying for SM membership though. They are obsessed with party unity and anything that involved admitting that Brexit has totally failed and having to go back to the EU would split the party forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

That split of the party forever should have happened 2 years ago - that was the opportunity to form a "govt of national unity" and everyone (libdems, labour, SNP, recalcitrant tories) blew it and handed Johnson his 80 seat majority; they could have scuppered the CONservatives forever but they completely blew it - it would have been chaos, there would have been riots on the streets but it would have finished to tories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

Just in case anyone is looking for a solid overview of UK and EU/EEA/EEC relations since 1945 then these three succinct pieces by Tony Connelly from a few years ago are spot on.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2017/0304/857149-tony-connelly/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0311/858907-connelly-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I don't agree with the idea that a change of the ruling party in the UK led to a complete about face in UK policy. If it were true, voters would feel empowered whereas the reality is they feel disempowered and that voting doesn't matter. Since at least the era of Blair's Labour (so, the last 30 years near enough) there have been next to no difference in the ruling ideology, bar cosmetic differences played up for political benefit. Within "centrist" politics, the policy aims are already settled, all that voting determines is who administers it. Brexit is best understood as desperate passengers on a hijacked plane storming the cockpit. The end result is uncertain, but its better than numbly awaiting whatever end is planned by the hijackers.

The problem with Brexit is the resistance of the alienated UK voters against a distant political establishment was led by a group of establishment politicians who had no major disagreement with the aims of the UK political establishment, barring that they should be the ones implementing the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's a unique rewriting of the Blair years versus what's going on for the last decade.

I mean like it's factually and reality void. But sure look , the UK absolutely flourished at all levels during those labour years their deficit was heavily under control.

However under the Tories there have been huge Jumps in privatisation, large increases in foodbanks, and NHS being run into the ground. A national deficit that grows by the day and a consistently poor national morale.

Odd how these are the same according to you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thatcher certainly reversed the policy of the preceding Labour Gov laws to do with Unions, housing, and social protection. She even tried to have a go at voter suppression with the Poll Tax - if it was not paid - no vote. It also favoured the shires (Tory) over the cities (Labour).

Blair was Tory Lite.

So there has been a lot of Tory of late.

I think the point was that, once Blair had assumed the mantle of leadership of the Labour party, both main parties were hewing the neoliberal line with some minor differences. Some good things certainly emerged from the Blair years such as anti-LGBT discrimination legislation but there was also the introduction of Private Finance Initiatives for the NHS. And then of course, there was the Iraq war which both parties were behind.

The UK did flourish, this is true. However, the point (as I understood it) was that the voter was choosing between slightly leftish Neoliberal Party A and slightly right leaning Neoliberal Party B until 2010 when we saw the shift towards crippling austerity.

Of course, the flaw in the argument is that when offered a real choice, as in 2019, they still plumped for the neoliberals yet again so how important the "choice" was is debateable.

Well, there's a lot of pejoratives there but surely it would have been easier to demonstrate my view was wrong by presenting a couple of policies where there is a decisive ideological difference between Labour and the Conservatives? What you're pointing to only indicates the Tories are worse managers than Labour is. These sort of cosmetic differences are played up to somehow energise voters, but they are just cosmetic.

Lets look at the Afghanistan War for example. War is a decisive decision - the British spent 18 years in Afghanistan, expending immeasurable loss of life and wealth for next to no gains bar a wave of Afghan migrants who will undoubtedly bring Afghan cultural practises to northern towns. 18 years of Labour and Tories trading places, but no still the Afghan war grinds on. In this political regime, should a UK voter choose the Tories or Labour to end the war?

Well, how do you define 'choice' in a pseudo democratic state where FPTP allows a party with 43% of the vote to get a thumping majority.

They have not had a Gov elected by a majority of the popular vote since 1932.

Add the ease which this Gov is corrupt with no apparent sanction - well what can you say?

I'd agree - the UK is overwhelmingly a Conservative country, with short intermissions of Labour. Blair was a bit of an anomaly because he managed to present himself as Tory lite and bring in some votes that would not have otherwise gone Labour. However, you can only fool all of the people some of the time and Labour's traditional voters have noticed they have been abandoned.

But either way this Conservative/Labour divide is just surface level politics. The ultimate effect is just a change of managers rather than a change in direction. And the UK voting system contributes to this inertia of the ruling idealogy. UKIP won 12.6% of the vote in 2015, but under FPTP they won just 0.2% of the MPs. Surely it would have been better for the UK political system to be more representative of the disaffected voters that UKIP (however confused) represented. As it was, the UK political elite wandered into the deep dark woods of a referendum by a disaffected, alienated population which saw a once in a lifetime chance to stick it to them. There is a kneejerk reaction by "centrist" parties to lockout "populist" parties from representation, to prevent them interfering with the agreed policies. That is fine as far as it goes (majority rules), but it does breed the sort of alienation that leads to results like Brexit.

The FPTP system never allowed for the possibility that a deeply corrupt government backed by a deeply corrupt media might come to power. It always assumed that those given a thumping majority would act like respectable gentlemen (and ladies) and in the best interests of the country.

There is a difference between 'democracy' and 'Majoritarianism'. NI had the latter for 50 years that cost 3,000 lives and horrors that should not be forgotten.

The centralised power grab (winner takes all) that Westminster has managed against the rest of the UK over the last 30 years will result in the break up of the UK - the sooner the better.

This really is bonkers. Seems the Brexit government has written to firefighters and ambulance drivers and asked them if they would be interested in driving HGVs :

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1443976966718242816

I define "choice" based on the nature of each of the main two parties at each election. FPTP is only a problem if the population think it is.

• Advertisement

The problem with FPTP is that it follows that the 'winner' with 43% of the vote can do exactly what they want to do, and hump the 57% - they will not even be considered, let alone consulted.

Remember, Brexit means Brexit. May never consulted any Labour, SNP, or Liberal MPs despite needing their votes. Winner takes all.

Advertisement