Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I exchanged a small amount on Friday night (10pm-ish) and it included a fee notification that said it was for weekend exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes, that is correct, as I quoted "the rates are locked in for the weekend may not be the same as the rates that are available when the markets open on Monday morning".

This vague statement has replaced the previous clearly defined 1% (or 2% for THB and UAH), this changed on 14 August.

You will now be told the fee separately when you exchange (as you did) or in case you spend on your card afterwards with a separate notification. There is now no fixed 1%/2% as it was previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Hi, we have somebody trying to make a Revolut payment to my wife's Revolut account and we are having some difficulties. It's a Euro payment from an NI GBP account to our Euro account. Both new users.

How do we go about this - do we need to create a payment link, does the sender also need to create a Euro account and convert the funds before sending, should they add a contact. Its a reasonably large amount of money so don't want to get it wrong.

Does the sender have your wife's number as a contact? Just send it to that

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Based on recent experience, for it to go through smoothly, the sender and receiver both need to be saved as contacts on each others phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thank you both. Will email addresses work for contacts either, or are phone numbers better.

Also, would there be any reason that the sender cannot send a Euro payment directly from a GBP account (assuming sufficient funds). I know we've paid GBP from our Euro account but that was to a third party bank rather than a Revolut user.

I think when they tried sending it to our bank account it was only letting them pay in GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Hi, Does revolut offer a refer a friend bonus?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They are currently offering one. I didn't look at it but I think it's €50 or €60, I just dismissed the message.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

An update on using your IBAN

Starting from 30 September 2021, it will no longer be possible to receive transfers to old 'GB' IBANs

Hi Jarrod,

After we transferred you to our European entity, the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) for inbound SWIFT & Euro SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) payments changed. This was done to avoid any potential fees imposed by banks on GB customer payments within the EEA after 31 December 2020.

Your current IBAN starts with an ‘LT’ and the old one started with a 'GB'. You've been able to use both to receive bank transfers, but this was a temporary measure.

End of the transition period

You’ll no longer be able to use both your old and new IBANs. If someone tries to send a bank transfer to your old 'GB' IBAN, it will be sent back to them automatically. So please make sure you provide your updated account details to all of your counterparties to avoid funds being reverted. You’ll also need to update any active direct debits.

Thought we'd have our IE IBAN by now but no mention of that. Have been using the GblB one for a while and couldn't be arsed getting people to update it to the LT only to have it changed to IE but seems ill have to bite the bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering how Revolut works abroad, if there is money on my card do you just need to tap it on a terminal or does it ask for the cards Pin (which Ive now forgotten so dont want to end up in a situation where I cant pay).

Also is there any savings by using it over Ulster Bank, Im going to be in the eurozone so referring to bank charge savings rather than foreign exchange ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

As long as it's under the contactless limit you can tap away. You can see the card pin in the app just go to cards then select your card then pin and security.

I don't know if banks charge extra for using contactless in other euro zone countries but revolut don't have any charges that I am aware of.

You can set the PIN / get a reminder of in the app by the way.

Revolut has no fees for card transactions, only for ATM withdrawals, so there's q distinct advantage over Ulster Bank unless you have a U First account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks lads, will look up the pin in the app and just use it to tap below the 30 quid limit. Im not sure what Ulster Bank charge me for tapping abroad but Ive no doubt its likely to be favouable to them

In a lot of Europe there's no tap limit on Revolut per say, but you'll be asked for the pin over a certain amount, i.e. it'll be the initial tap and then the machine will ask for the pin rather than be asked to insert the card and then enter the PIN. It's great, speeds up the who transaction no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They can't charge you any more elsewhere in the Eurozone than what they charge you at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just got my old card all set up and synced to my bank.

Currently, I live in Canada, and am trying/thinking of transferring funds from Ireland to Canada, and ultimately vice versa in the future.

Revolut don't operate in Canada, but is there a way to do the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Question,

Booked flights with Ryanair using Revolut

Ryanair for some reason popped up to pay in dollars, so I accepted as it showed € to $, which was fine

When I checked Revolut their charge was same in Dollar but €50 more because of their currency rate

is there anything that can be done here? is it revolut fault or a lesson learned for me?

it didnt give me an option to pay by Euro on ryanair which was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Hi all, I've just ordered a physical Revolut card, with the intention of using it to buy grocery (mainly from the main supermarkets). My understanding was that I needed a physical card for purchases over 50 euro (i.e. contactless limit).

Both myself and my partner will top the card up using our debit cards, putting the same amount of money on the card every month - This way we should be able to split the grocery bill in two equal parts.

Will this work, or there are any potential issues I haven't considered? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think you should have convert € to $ in app and then it would have come out of that account.

It would cost way less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Strange it was in dollars unless you’re accessing the site form the US, or maybe using a VPN? I presuming you have a Euro and Dollar account on Revolut? Maybe it recognised the dollar from the card? Never heard of that before though. €50 also sounds like a crazy difference. Ryanair has never once provided a better rate than Revolut. There is an option to pay in local curencies or change at checkout, but it's a bit of a minefield and unticking box exercise

I guess not much can be done since the transaction for the service is complete which you are going to use

As for paying for groceries, you can top up the card/account and then tap away at the till. Pretty handy during covid. Most limits got raised for contactless convenience over the last year or so. It's pretty handy to tap everything anyway on your phone or card. Might need to use the card and pin to activate it first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭madmax72

Hi I was wondering does anyone know how to send money from my revolut account to my aib credit card. Apologies if this has been asked before

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

I made 4 euro deposits to AIB from Revolut business and was charged 8EUR a pop. Does anyone know why this would have happened as I've been making the same transfer for months with no charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cfingers

Thats very strange.

Who charged you €8? Is it business or personal AIB account?

I paid the exchange fees on revolut. But when it landed in AIB each transaction was 8e less but when I clicked into payment log the €8 was gone rather than itemized as a charge. It's like the €8 disappeared before it even arrived in my AIB account. It was four separate charges of €8 just to clarify; absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cfingers

Is it personal or Business aib account?

If its Personal, aib defo should not be charging you for receiving SEPA payment. That's strange.

It's personal. I'll contact them again on Monday as their customer service line is useless. The weird thing is the charge not even being itemized.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It would be hard for them to provide you with itemised details of something they did not receive. Browsing Revolt's T&C for FX transactions on the business account, they mention that in addition to the FX charges, they may make 'small fee' charges and that intermediaries may make additional charges. Probably a good idea to ask them for an explanation as well, normally the sending party will have a better chance of tracing a transaction than the sending party.

• Advertisement

It wasn't FX though as the money was in euro before I sent it. I have been doing the same thing for months.

Advertisement