Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

PowerWash Simulator is something I would like to give a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What!! Powerwash simulator sure they might as well go all out and release watch paint dry. You apply a coat of paint and just sit there looking at it dry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It looks like crack cocaine for people with OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Would be great to play alongside Petrol Station Simulator. When you ain't pumping gas into old Bill's Cadillac, you can be pressure washing Mrs Murphy's driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

For what it's worth Valhalla does have the kind of sleuthing you're talking about. Not much of it but there are a few key missions where there are situations like a theft or murder and you're left to really investigate to find the culprit and you can get the outcome wrong which has consequences down the line - not major storyline changes but you can lose out on allies who would otherwise help in later battles. It does hold your hand a little bit less in other ways, quests will often say things like "search the forest west of Canterbury" rather than just putting an X on your map. Greece is a much more interesting setting with more varied terrain and scenery than medieval Britain though.

Personally I've never really understood the complaint about there being too much stuff on the map. I just ignore most of it, I figure there are completionists out there who enjoy all the collectables and for the rest of us it's really easy to filter it out and focus on the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, focussing on the story missions now and only grinding if I have too. The quest screen is good for filtering out the noise. I guess I'm hooked ☺️ It's really satisfying hunting down the cult members.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Angry Video Nerd plays the Commodore 64 :) As my first gaming console, this one is special to me. He goes over the hardware and then a bunch of games, crazy times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

In my experience they have a 100% record of same day delivery or the day before. They do alternate couriers between DPD and An Post though, you could get unlucky with the latter.

What, you mean you didn't use that computer for educational and word processing purposes ? ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

Cheers. I don't often play games anymore but I have that Metroid Dread Special Edition pre-ordered.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

console...CONSOLE?!?!!!!?!?!?!.....Nay....the finest Computer of the 8bit age!

I still collect the music remixes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a rumour going around that Twisted Metal is getting a remaster/revival or whatever by the people behind Destruction All-Stars (Lucid Games). Former Twisted Metal (and God of War) lead David Jaffe has responded with a weird rant on his YouTube channel complaining Sony didn't contact him about said revival, and then revealing that he knows stuff that could cause a lot of problems for them should he decide to release it (but promises he wouldn't do that because he's not that type of guy).

Weird. Not least the part where his son interrupts to ask if a bottle of soy sauce in their fridge has gone off. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like he is going off the rails. Also I'm pretty sure he has absolutely no say in whether Sony use the IP they own so are under no obligation to inform him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

He's gone off the rails for a fair bit at this stage. Just waiting until he gets to the "derailed train plows into sleepy village" stage, and I'm sure that he'll be the type of person to double down and shout nonstop about cancel culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

He was always an arsehole but he went fully mad about 4 or 5 years ago, he is one of those ‘come on my show and debate me’ kinds of arsehole now.

Haven't posted here before.

I've been an avid gamer since way (way) back - Atari / Sinclair / Dragon / Amstrad / Sega MD / PS1 / Xbox / 360 / Wii / PS4 / One / Switch. I've played all genres, sports & racers mostly but also platformers & adventure, and a lot of free roam like Test Drive Unlimited, Oblivion, Skyrim and Red Dead. Never really that into shooters although I did have a long Halo phase. Since the last generation came out though I don't play much at all, I mean that I could go 6 months without turning the Xbox One on and the PS4 is really only used as a Smart TV. Animal crossing is about all I've played since Covid, but even before that I was only into things like Journey. is this a permanent change ? Have I just lost the will to game ? Has anyone else been through similar and got back into extended gaming again ?

Since you've got a Switch, have you played breath of the wild, super Mario Odyssey, super mario 3d world, donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Rayman legends ...

I was free from gaming, but bloody breath of the wild dragged me back in. Damn you Nintendo.

The above games I've listed are all excellent and FUN. A lot of games are a drag. Try the FUN games.

Stop playing Triple A games that waste your time and aren't actually fun and play indie games and nintendo games or even lower budget stuff. Triple A games mostly suck and rely on skinner box psychology rather than actually being any good.

I've had similar experiences to you as well when a big game I'm playing leaves me feeling horrible and I can't play anything else after I'm done with it but I was just playing the wrong games. I'm currently playing mostly old games and indie or smaller games and I've played and beaten more games than I even did because I'm actually enjoying myself rather than fooling myself into thinking I'm enjoying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hitting my mid forties now and go through phases with gaming interest waxing and waning although most of my it now consists of couch co-op with my teenage kids - either Enter the Gungeon or Fortnite where I'm on the PS5 and they're on their Switches. Haven't had a game have a major impact on me since maybe playing Obra Dinn earlier this year (I think?) and I've started playing games that were either punishingly hard (Nioh2) or really dull (Assassin's Creed Unity) that I ended up losing interest in. I played a lot of Division 2 earlier this year as it was a game that was easy to switch the brain off, I was able to play in short bursts (because I don't have the time to sit down in front of a console for 4-5 hours) but still entertaining enough to keep me interested. I'm currently playing a bit of Hitman 2 from Plus which I'm really enjoying and trying Outer Wilds for a second time because it didn't click with me the first time but the praise on here is so overwhelming that I have to try it out again.

Tbh, I find gaming getting squeezed a lot with other interests vying for my time and being 100% honest, I'm not capable of functioning on little sleep the way I could 10 years ago where I could get by on 3-4hours sleep if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I generally play a big "AAA" game, and then swap to a smaller indie game for a palette cleanser. Some of the indie games are far better than the big games too, far more interesting, etc.

I'd recommend "The Outer Wilds", and "Return of the Obra Dinn" as two games that really stand out, both absolutely great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I recently finished An Artful Escape and really enjoyed it. Very different to anything I normally play. Granted it was very easy and you just press right on the controller and hold X to play guitar. But it was more of a spectacle than a game but still a very enjoyable experience and my total run time was just under 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just to chime in Psychonauts 2 is a game I played recently that was brilliant. Even the first one is good but does have bad platforming sections near the end as in you will jump to grab something and the character will not grab on but despite that it is a really good game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For anyone interested, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is on GoG now:

https://www.gog.com/game/blood_omen_legacy_of_kain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have vague recollections of that, though I definitely played its sequel on the PS1, Soul Reaver - whose gfx for the time were amazing. And speaking of graphics; from the blurb...

25 minutes of stunning full-motion-video...

Uhmmmmm, stunning indeed... 😆

I absolutely loved this game as a kid. Goddamn whiff of nostalgia off this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

4th time's the charm with Prey. Finally got into it. Pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anyone with Fifa 22 know if you can start a new club but also have a player career within it or is the new club option only available for manager careers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement