Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I would like Shirley and Alfie to have cleared up the bathing squatters storyline. Whatever about not hearing the murder now we've people using the house next door with no curtains and they somehow don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Do we know whether it was possible to reach the other gateway unobstructed by hedging? The gate in question, I think, is situated at the very end of the (main) road at a right angle to the entrance gate to the DuPlantier. It leads onto farmland owned by, well, we don't know. It is unclear if there was a hedge straddling the divide between the front garden and this adjacent land. My guess is there was. So, if there was and Sophie knew this, why would she run toward this barrier? It makes more sense that either she was running down the driveway from the house with her killer in pursuit or she had walked down of her own volition and first encountered him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Alfie Lyons, pictured in 2003.

Looking at this photograph you would get the impression of him not being a physically strong or intimidating individual capable of carrying out an extremely violent and fatal assault on a defenceless victim. Unlike the main suspect in the investigation, say?? Just my opinion.

'Who have you got there, Sargeant?'

'His name is Bailey. We picked him up down the street.'

'What did you get him for?'

'Well, doesn't he look like a murderer?'

'By God you're right! Well done Sargeant. Let's gather up some evidence.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Ok so I'm a disgruntled drug dealer (with/without gardai connections)..... follow on from , so I'm a Hitman saga.

This foreign lady is being a pain in my backside.... sticking her nose in , walking about, dobbing me in, Giving my customers grief... etc , etc

What do I do?..

I know... lets murder her and bring Harbison, detectives, the sunday world & interpol into Toormore... that will sort it out...

Or ...No just thinking about it....lets just burn the house down when no one is around..... Draw a bit of local attention, raise a few eyebrows, but it all blows over by the new year.. & no more sophie comming on holidays....sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You have no evidence of squat yet here you are trying to construct a case.

I, unlike you, knew both Alfie and Shirley and was at their house in 1996.

I spoke to them in the aftermath. I am fully aware of the level of questioning, the searches of their home by AGS, the press, and ghouls who think they have the answers. In fact they know better than Alfie's doctors who certified he was physically incapable of lifting a block. Are you going to deny a block was used?

They were quickly eliminated from the enquiry as there was and is zero evidence they were involved beyond being unfortunate to live near the victim and find her body.

Shirley Foster is a lovely women in her 80s who recently lost her partner. You are here implicating her in a very serious crime 25 years after the AGS cleared of of any involvement and you are showing scant regard for the trauma she has lived with all these years. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or maybe they went there to threaten her or trash the place / set fire to it. Things went south.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Who made you an authority on the case? Just because you claim to have known Alfie and Shirley back around this period of time, does that give you a deep insight into what happened and to disregard other peoples posts as you do. Who do you think you are? Someone who has claimed to know Alfie Lyons even though we have no way of knowing.

Again, no one here is pointing the finger at Aflie Lyons or Shirley Foster, they are just offering their own opinions which they are entitled to.

You're giving out about Shirley Foster being implicated in the crime on an online forum but have no problem in letting Ian Bailey be accused of the crime for 25 years. What about the trauma he has lived with for 25 years, life destroyed, at least she has got to live her life. And Jules Thomas.

The waft of arrogance off your post, acting like you were the lead detective or something. You know about as much as the rest of us do so cut the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Bannasidhe's posting history before this thread was ever started supports the view that they know lots of people in the Cork culinary scheme. Their posts are matter of fact, have told broadly the same story, and are not rehashing salacious gossip or claiming to have any vast insight into this barring knowing Alfie and Shirley and how it affected them. There is no reason whatsoever to disbelieve their posts, let alone attack them the way you have.

Bull?

I never mentioned IB in my recent posts, in my past posts I outlined my reasons why I do not think he is guilty. Based on a conversation I was part of.

You can get outraged all you want - including aiming several personal digs at me - but the fact remains people here are implicating Alfie and Shirley when they know absolutely nothing about them or the circumstances. Not offering an 'opinion'. There are posts here that have gone well beyond that and have strayed into implicating them.

Alfie has also been referred to as a drug dealer several times. Utterly baseless, and if he was alive, libelous.

I am not an authority 'on the case'. I was a friend of Alfie and Shirley. I met IB in 1996 at their house. I am an expert on that.

If you don't like my calling into question baseless speculation by people whose knowledge of the area is based on google maps, and would be hard pressed to identify either Alfie or Shirley in a photo but are able to state with certainty what they were physically capable of - feel free to ignore me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You've mentioned him a number of times, making out that he was a blowhard which is reasonable but I dont often see you defending him. When it comes to Alfie Lyons or Shirley Foster though, you're like a bat out of hell. In fact, that's the only thing that results in you usually posting on this thread. Anytime anyone starts looking towards STDP neighbours. Interesting to say the least.

Im not outraged & have not aimed any personal digs at you but you seem well able to be extremely condescending & sarcastic towards other peoples posts on the basis that you claim to know of Alfie Lyons & all the issues around this case. I see you didnt answer my question on how you know them though?

So are you denying that Alfie Lyons wasnt arrested in relation to drug issues on his property? Are you denying he wasnt close to Leo Bolger, who was proven to have one of the most sophisticated drug operations in Cork a few years after STDP murder? Are you denying that it was unusual alfie or shirley didnt hear a peep that night on one of the most horrific murders in modern Irish History?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Bannasidhe what is Shirley's theory on who murdered Sophie and what happened that night/morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There are many odd aspects to this case and instead of accusing anyone of this murder the discussion is best steered towards developing a scenario that explains the situation in line with the known facts. Some of these scenarios may 'fit' some people(s) better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

As written before, there is absolutely no need for language like that.

We all myself included don't know what happened, we myself included could all be right or wrong here. We were all not there that night, we've all seen nothing.

There is very very little evidence in this case. There are also no fingerprints, no DNA, no hair, no fiber of clothes, we don't even have a time of death or an approximate time of death. None of the people mentioned here can be tied to the murder scene.

This naturally leads to speculation, if that is more around motive, or ability to do it doesn't matter.

The only thing we can be certain of, is that the Guards did a pretty bad job on this. Especially in the case of this ex British Army soldier or Marie Farrell apparently seen something.

If one doesn't have the facts or wasn't there then the view is certainly different, than if one has facts or a bit of facts. I've never met Shirley personally, nor am I implying that she did it, or that Jules did it.

However judging from the point of a layman myself a lot of things sound strange or cry out for some further consideration:

To me it just sounds strange that:

• Alfie and Shirley heard absolutely nothing that night, as Sophie would have been scared.
    • There was blood on the door and at the gate, but Sophie was found between them.
    • If Sophie would have known about drug trafficking in the area and spoken to others about it, it would strange if somebody in that drug ring wouldn't have tried to teach her a lesson, whatever that "lesson" would have been.
    • The Guard from Bantry was apparently never really investigated, at least not the way we know.
    • And then the husband, having a life insurance in the event of his wife's death, having financial problems himself, - in terms of motive this would be the classic "number one motive" even more he failed to travel to Ireland upon his wife's death.
    • Sophie's love life while in Ireland, how many casual lovers did she have? What is proven and what not? Maybe there was somebody whom we don't know of?
    • If Bailey did it, what kind of anger or motive would have made him taking a hike for 5 km at night, to kill Sophie and hike back again, after a night out in the pub and his usual level of alcohol? and hide the whole event from Jules?

There is actually plenty of evidence in Josie Hellens statements about Alfie, stating that Sophie complained about the noise and "carry on" from his house, that her and Sophie were going to set a trap next time Alfie broke in to use the bath etc (how they both concluded it was Alfie I don't know but they did), and Sophie asked her to keep newspaper cuttings when he got drug raided for her.

I'm entirely objective concerning Alfie, and don't think he committed the murder, but it's impossible having heard about the statement contents (from a source close to the case) to not think something was going on and perhaps its connected in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Has your source seen and read the statement ? The Indo article claims to have seen the statement and quotes Josephine Hellen.....

"As regards friends in this area, apart from ourselves and her two neighbours living near her, and the odd workman coming to the house, she was not friendly with anybody else."

That suggests that Sophie was on good terms with Alfie and Shirley.

Locks were changed after intruder at du Plantier house, said housekeeper - Independent.ie

Post edited by tibruit on

I met IB in 1996 at their house. I am an expert on that.

an expert on meeting IB.? How long did you have to study.? You also claim several times that because your friend could not find the house it was hard to find. You said it was legal in some countries to grow drugs for personal use. That means nothing, it is not legal here and was not legal when Alfie did it

well said. Lots of people with 'evidence' here who really know nothing. It is fact that Alfie and Leo were both breaking the law re drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It has been said already on this thread that no DNA or fingerprints were found at the scene or the house. That if true is very odd, surely some belong to those that would have there regularly including Sophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I do like the theory that a gentleman caller spent the night at Sophie's.

Half way through the night Sophie realizes this guy is a big mistake but has to gracefully see 'the date' through until his morning departure. Happens all the time with one night stands. The guy is parked down below the gate. In the morning she decides to walk him down to the gate. He is like "great night, let's do it again sometime". She tell him straight it won't be happening again. He takes this news very very badly.......

It explains Sophie's attire and the blood around the door as he might have gone back to clear away obvious traces of him ever being in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All the blood samples found were matched to Sophie. Apart from the sample found in later reanalysis on the boot that was identified only as male - sample not enough to identify an individual though could be wrong on that.

But I havent heard about what fingerprints were found in the cottage and whether they were all identified. You would expect at least to find Sophies, the housekeepers and the plumber.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Again, you say it is very strange that

Alfie and Shirley heard absolutely nothing that night, as Sophie would have been scared.

Yet you have acknowledged more than once that it's entirely possible they just didn't hear anything. It's not really that strange.

If they did hear something then their statements to the police were false and they are immediately implicated in the murder, either as accessories after the fact or worse.

You can't just keep posting this stuff and then pretend you're not pointing the finger at anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same goes for fare-dodging on the Dart or breaking a red light. The question for thisn thread is whether that 'crime', if that is as far as Alfie's involvement in 'drugs' went, is remotely likely to be connected to STDP's death.

I responded because I was tagged.

You, yourself tagged me at least twice.

If you are not interested in what I have to say don't tag me.

And if all I'm going to get is abuse then don't bother reading my posts either.

That goes for all of you who play let's tag Bannasidhe then get snarky if she says she thinks you are full of baseless, speculative crap.

She was shocked they thought it was IB. Apart from that she had no idea.

Just to add, I already said when first asked some weeks ago (when I was last in this thread) that I know absolutely nothing about Leo Bolger. Never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Hi Bannasidhe,

I accept you have local knowledge , can yo tell us what you know about the Hellen family They appear to have gone under the radar abit. As one of the only other households within walking distance of Sophie and with both social and business dealings with Sophie I deem them to warrant as much Scrutiny/attention as anyone else having been in contact that weekend.... of course with the full presumption of innocence like all others discussed on this forum.

no it doesn't. Don't see why you bring fare dodging or red lights in to it. Strawman. B said she is and expert on IB. She said I met IB in 1996 at their house. I am an expert on that.

in what sense is Bannasidhe an expert on IB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

As I said, we don't know. I don't think I am pointing at any particular suspect. I don't expect that the murderer will be found or known, as said, unless there is some new compelling evidence which turns up 25 years later, or there is a deathbed confession.

Yes, I find it strange that Alfie and Shirley didn't hear anything or notice anything at all.

And yes, I find it possible that a strong westerly wind that night could have carried the noise all the way to the other side, away from their house.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement