Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Palma, Canary Islands - Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Some nice drone footage went up earlier by " the institute of geology and mining" of the vents.

Is the house that was pretty much on its own island between lava flows still standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

nope, that house was eaten a few days ago sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah that's a shame, from some footage you can see some "islands" but too far away to see if a house is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Really lovely to see a reasonable conversation with plenty of observations and thanks.

The rotational velocity at La Palma is about 910 mph while it is 620 mph at the latitude of Dublin so that the transition from darkness to daylight is far more rapid on the Canary islands than on the island of Ireland. It explains some of the issues brought up here and although it is well two decades since I first explained it, the current expression based on the angle of the Sun still remains.

Rotation is built into many Earth sciences from biology to climate to evolutionary geology hence the importance of the topic so many here have fought against for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

f number is related to the size of the camera aperture. Higher f number means a smaller aperture so less light gets to the camera sensor giving a darker image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

thanks FOAB...makes sense now looking back why other streams were still brighter at the same time..so their f 's must have been lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lava is moving fast. Seems less viscous than it was last few days. Can't see the lava channels quite as well because some deep enough valleys carved out now. The lava really spreads once off the mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

We were talking about local sunrise and sunset, as measured by looking at your watch. The difference between Ireland and the Canaries varies greatly during the year, despite being in the same timezone. In summer, sunrise here is much earlier, in winter much later. Maybe actually stop and read what someone writes before launching into your copy and paste essay.

Anyway, enough time wasted off topic in this thread. La Palma is looking mighty scary again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's funny how all of the changes observed in the lava path are effectively rapidly enhanced variations of river erosion in much the same way - deepening of the fast flowing channels through abrasion and attrition, broadening of the channel and creation of serpentine formations on low-lands. The heat effectively dissolves existing rocks and carries them off as a solution. Fascinating in so many ways.

• Advertisement

so folks are these also the gravity waves produced by volcanos mentioned the other day..want to see if the new thing I learnt about has stuck in the auld brain?

https://mobile.twitter.com/juananrubert/status/1443996854614728711

Nope. Fluid dynamics.

The rising air is holding water vapour creating clouds at higher altitudes and the rising air is also causing ripples in the air-mass which cause the air layers (of differing density and RH) to slip in a ripple-effect creating concentric rings where vapour condenses slightly as the temperature/pressure changes.

Copernicus just released a new image. It's based on analysis at 12.09 today.

I don't see the new vent represented in the image? Was it not supposed to be North of the main vents and creating a lava path which was to meet up with the main steam, or no?

Tell me - what causes the transition from darkness to daylight to be far more rapid on the Canary islands as opposed to the island of Ireland?. It is for the same reason that the Earth has tectonic and volcanic activity while Venus only has volcanic activity.

Only reasonable people would enjoy the all the explanations which connect the Earth sciences of climate, biology and geology together.

At least you learned that the planet turns at a rate of 1 degree for 4 minutes of rotation as a first step towards understanding climate. This is not for miserable or boring people so better go back to your 'temperature over timekeeping' graphs which omit planetary dynamics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dublin will always be 11 degrees East of the Canary islands based on the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems, making it 44 minutes earlier along the same line of longitude. That is what accurate clocks were invented for to determine location on the planet.

The Royal Society modellers decided that the planet doesn't turn once in 24 hours and so cause and effect was lost for centuries-

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA /Harvard

I was correct with the difference in daylight times between Dublin and the Canaries but could have been clearer on the latitudinal distinctions where the Dublin longitude and the latitude of the Canary island would always see the Sun rise 44 minutes earlier regardless of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is the main vent more active this evening? I haven’t been watching it today.

Thanks for your reply. Aren't gravity waves (not the gravitational space type)part of fluid dynamics?

what makes them different to then to the above clouds as they look similiar?..(maybe I am as blind as a bat here)

Does the volcano have to be exploding/plumes generating a powerful pulse to form one type(gravitywaves) and the other type is just formed by a quieter volcanos heat signature going up and down in temperature hence affecting the water vapour in the air to rise and fall? (if I read your reply right?)

arrgh..love this thread stretches my mind into an unknown area. lol

Pity the camera man won't pan down on the main feed. I'd like to see what's happening at the base with the new fissure.

dogs barking again..all four vents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s a few degrees of something other than lava flowing in this thread tonight lads. Enjoy watching the YouTube feed, poor people living there must literally be like hell on earth.

Clear uptick in activity in the last 20 mins or so. You’d wonder how the vents are still separated at this stage,

Tiny vent opening up possibly at the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I witnessed an horrific incident this week that has changed my perspective on life. We're on this planet - volcano-warts 'n all - for a short time, much too short to waste some of it going after comments like the above. Suffice it to say that, alas, you were not the first to teach me the 4-minutes-per-degree fact. No, I believe that was my geography teacher some 30-35 years ago.

Now, I will go and watch the livestream of this mad volcano and be mesmerised...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭obi604

I must say the sounds the volcano makes on these feeds is kinda eerie/freaky/end of worldsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there another vent there behind the big one - looks like two plumes of lava going up (or maybe its just the smoke make it look like 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Yes. There is another one there. it's been there all along though.

Cameraman has panned out and you can clearly see the new fissure is active and being reflected at the base.

None of you ever learned about the timekeeping structure which is why humanity is in such trouble with linear timekeeping to the exclusion of planetary dynamics and the links to Earth sciences of biology, climate and geology.

Over the last few months the editors of Wikipedia finally changed the rotational value for the Earth to 24 hours, but have yet to realise that means also changing the Equatorial rotational velocity to 1037.5 mph or 1669.8 km/hr consistent with the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems -

Sidereal rotation period - 23h 56m 4.100s

Equatorial rotation velocity - 1674.4 km/h; 1040.4 mph

[Main 'Earth' article Wikipedia]

The inability to post relevant links through somebody's petty nature is just the same lack of integrity I have known for 30 years as people adapt to better and more productive perspectives using observations I provided. Ultimately the information gets through and things change slowly but change they do.

Current situation. The new fissure channel at the base.

• Advertisement

Looks like there’s concerns for the island of Vulcano North of Sicily

Advertisement