Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

He didn't say mate sorry, but I would assume that b is either lanesboro Rd or galway rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thanks for replying. I am stuck between Racecourse and Galway Road :) And have missed 2 calls from Digweb today since I applied for the pre order

Just checked NBI site and we have gone preorder too, I pre ordered moths ago with Brisknet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Happy days, me too. I'm on the same route as you and also preordered with Brisknet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Topic: 2021 Mid-year review of Estimates for Public Services - Vote 29 Programme A (Communications) and Vote 31 (Transport)

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/33/transport-and-communications/videos/ (Main bit: 1:41 )

TL;DR

Acceleration: Minister non-committal and said funds are subject to approval by the Department of Public Expenditure in the coming budget.

Ruairi O'Murchu asked Minister for "due diligence" in exploring interim alternatives for those scheduled at the end of the rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Ossian Smyth confirming range of total premises passed by end 2022.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-09-28a.341

it is not possible to give specific details on a per county basis out to 2026. NBI has indicated that c. 130,000 to 145,000 premises will be passed across all counties over 2021 and 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

I'm out the lanesboro road. No sign of any progress out here and still showing network build in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Today was install day

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OK I have Calmed Down... actually no

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

There are five ribbons in the Roscommon deployment area, A to E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

146 days of preorder and install day had arrived, the pre implementation call this morning and KN van arrived at 9am

Happy Days and then I open the door to the installer who says is your phone line going to the chimney......Yes .....and you have no underground duct ........No

Well I am sorry to say you will have no install to day. WTF

SO fibre is running on the opposite side of the road and as my house is a bungalow with no other high point to achieve the 4.5 metres clearance over the road it requires the install of a pole on my property. This was not identified on the survey in fact the NBI survey indicates an underground duct to the house under the road which is not the case.

Installer goes back to van to report the failed installation and what to do next. 40 mins later comes back to me to detail what he is putting on his report with the request for pole installation. so I ask him to check there are no other issues before submitting as in where is he connecting to a DP as there is none on the pole accross the road. he says survey from NBI shows concrete duct running along road under junction with another road to DP on other side of this road about 50 metres away. he sticks screwdriver into ground....silence and keeps doing it and then accounces there is no duct there, yes says I they simply dug a trench put cable duct for single fibre cable into ground and covered it up.

So how am I supposed to do installation he asks!!!!!! He showed me the survey plan he was working to which was horseshit. There follows another 40 mins of the 2 of us identifying how we might get the fibre overground from the DP to my house, which we finally did with KN having to put in a 40 metre trench from a new pole in my garden with visibility to another pole nearer the DP. THe only saving grace is the pole can be put on my property I am told if not possible on my property it would have to go through council for permission

On inspection he also discovered there is a metre of exposed fibre ducting lying on the side of the road which could easily be damaged by a vehicle that has also been reported to NBI.

He submitted the alternative approach for installation for approval. While we are waiting I said I must be unlucky, sadly this appears not to be a case and he outlined only a third of his installs for the week had completed successfully and to be fair to the guy i will not put the details here of what happened on the other failed installs but I am afraid to say this is a shitshow.

2 other installers arrived and they were saying the survey was done via google maps as they are coming across other misidentification of current connections and ducting

Anyway where am I now

no broadband

have to await a pole and ducting install date

then a new install date

we sail towards day 147 of preorder with the good ship SS NBI

Sorry to hear that @Strettie11 . What a waste of everyones time. Let's hope they can clawback some money from the surveying contractors and the ducting contractors for this sort of crap.

I'm curious to know why it was sufficient for your phone line to be attached to the chimney for clearance, but the fibre clearance wasn't going to be enough? Was it simply because there was no DP across the road? i.e, if there had been a DP on the pole opposite you could have run the fibre to the chimney?

No links for this I'm afraid, it is not publicly accessible information. I have various sources within the industry.

No chance your source could DM me the Tipperary DA ribbons? 😉

Thanks you!!! I have just squeeeze into ribbon A :)

I don't have a map for Tipperary, I'm afraid. I was sent a bunch of information a while ago but in recent weeks it seems to have dried up. I don't know if NBI have cracked down on things getting leaked or what but it has stopped. The best I can do for you right now is a cabling map screenshot from a NBI presentation a while back. I believe there are six ribbons in Tipperary, A to F.

The phone line should never have been connected to chimney by eircom. They should have installed pole for phone line. They indicated it was never recommended practise to do so but are coming across many in my area

While disappointing about the delay it's somewhat reassuring to know the NBI are not talking the "it'll be grand" approach. Might slow things down but should reduce maintenance for them over the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

I'm in E. Probably makes sense to be last. The majority of the area in E is already connected via Eir to FTTH. Hope I get connected before Christmas.

• Advertisement

Pre order now complete with Digiweb, now to anxiously await an install date. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Next years lads we'll all be able to stream Roscommon lifting the Sam Maguire in 4k on a dozen devices each.

Well a man can dream, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Install day today. I had a duct run to the nearest pole into the house. Engineers had it pulled in within an hour.

Tidy install and no hitches connecting my home network(I have a switch/NAS/media Servers etc) and the house is wired cat5. Initial speed from the installers diagnostic was well north of 500mbps .

I have the FritzBox and am with Digiweb so want to check out some of the router settings but speeds are solid.

Genuinely never thought we would have decent DSL nevermind fibre out where we are. Well done to the NBI!

Speed Test showing before (Imagine) and after. Imagine would have varied between no service and 50mbps but crucially their uploads were terrible so i had a lot of bother working from home with them.

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

That's tough @Strettie11, hope you get it all sorted. My setup is same with pole on the other side of a lane going to gable end of dormer bungalow. When NBI were doing the survey I don't recall them measuring the height of the existing phone line over the lane. Did the installer that showed up at your place mention anything about pre-install checks? It's a waste of time to plan for a full install if it can't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

First if all, sorry to hear you're having a bit of bother. But if an installer spends this length of time on one single solitary premises then this is going to take a veeeeery long time to roll out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Been very busy these past few days so haven't had a chance to reply. I'm not losing the run of myself anyway because I know they can and could push the indicative dates out, but it was exciting seeing them string fibre on the poles in September when the ground workers said they would (even if it was the second and last days of September, it's still was September).

Anyway, they finished stringing fibre on our road Thursday Afternoon so I didn't have a chance to look at it until Friday. They marked the locations for the Optical Distribution Points also so they're the next thing to be put up. Nice clean job done I must say.

On a more funny side (Your opinion may differ), not 2 hours after NBI fibre was strung by a relatives farm, a certain wireless broadband provider (Imagine) turned up while he was milking. I don't know if they went in to talk to him or not, but they did not call door to door. They have absolutely no service in our area... Coincidence?

It is exciting for sure. Sorry for raining on your parade. I felt the same when I saw them on the cherry pickers outside our place! Whatever about imagine, I know that after the initial survey of our area (pre covid) we had a crowd called efone go door to door and they signed an unbelievable amount of houses in our area alone. ( they have a distinct antenna on all the houses)

I'm taking encouragement from the connections others are posting (though I do worry about the state of my ducting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GreenJedi

do you mind if I ask what County you are in?   well done or your install...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Galway City Da. We are just on the fringe.

Advertisement