Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

When table service is done well then i have no problem with it. A good few places in Dublin are really slow at it due to lack of staff/inexperienced staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Same story here in Waterford

I can't be quite hard to get a pint at times as places have little staff. Seeing the bar empty makes it even more frustrating

We'll look back at this last 19 months and laugh at some of the ridiculous rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That's fair and I can definitely see that. I said before it happened that I thought it was unworkable in many pubs in Ireland. A lot of staff are entirely new to the industry and young with little knowledge outside of the type of drinks they'd see family drink or had in some field themselves! Our till systems are not set up to prompt them for things an experienced bartender might clarify with customers - water is it mineral/tap still sparkling? 7up mixer is it a bottle or a dash, whiskey/brandy is it neat, with ice or water. Little things that can really slow service down but the tills are laid out in a way that makes sense to a bar person not a server. Bar staff, even incredibly talented ones who have never worked with dockets before can find it really hard. I did a stint abroad where I got my docket legs as such but you can stress out so much on a busy night with a dozen tickets in front of you that you find you can't remember what you just read even if you used to take 3 orders together at a bar 2 deep back in the before times.

I know my work place wants to try and keep it on long term after this and are working hard to iron out issues but yeah it definitely can't happen overnight. Personally though I'd love to be able to go to a lively bar at the weekend and not have to stand at the counter leaning over some poor sod for 20 minutes waiting to get a drink again.

So 23.30 close til 22nd October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

This is what is actually putting me off going to the pub. I don't mind the early finish. I just can't hack queuing for a table and waiting for service, especially if you're just going in for a pint on your own. Makes me feel self-conscious and takes all the spontaneity out of it. B e interesting to see if on the 22nd October, can I just walk in, go up to the bar, order a pint and sit at the bar'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was out for the Liverpool match on Saturday evening. The pub wasn't busy at all but we had to wait to be served even though bar was empty with two bar men behind the counter. The inexperienced lounge staff hadn't a clue, not their fault, only learning the ropes. We waited easily about 20 minutes before one of the lounge staff served us. She then got her float mixed up when one of the lads paid for a round. The manager got involved and the young lounge girl went home crying.

I said it to my brother, who was once a publican. "I'd say good bar staff be worth their weight in gold when things start operating properly again" (if that ever happens that is). As understandably a lot of the more experienced bar staff would have moved on to other roles during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Experienced bar staff are out on the PUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Given how much they were d!cked around last year, hardly surprised they chose to stay on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Lads, imagine what Coppers is going to be like on October 22nd?!! It will feel like St Stephen’s night on steroids! Everyone getting the ride again making up for lost time😅

It's a bank holiday weekend sure

Will hospitality be getting new guidelines or is it pre covid ways from open on the 22nd October ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pre covid, all legal requirements lift.

Up to each pub what way they want to run things

Prob a thing pre covid times too but what might become the 'new norm' is places only opening 4/5 days/nights a week even less

Sooner the better table service is gone. It’s bad enough feeling like a bold child when it’s done well, but when it’s done badly it’s a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think just for safety sake they should go back to normal closing time from 1st October, let people get that out of their system and when oct 22nd comes it wont be as manic. will we see a new golden age for nightclubs?

Agree esp with the 22nd been a bank holiday weekend and Halloween time add students been back on campus well before that

They really don't be thinking sometimes but there shortcomings in thinking is a nice scapegoat for them. If the we go into lockdown its all the publics fault for drinking and gathering etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

For someone who keeps shouting personal responsibility, you don't seem to think people are capable of it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I wonder will the price gouging end when the restrictions are gone! I won't hold my breath.

I'm seeing 50c and 70c per pint price rises in some of the pubs near me (Sth Dublin)

Yawn

This whole pandemic has really brought out the anger in people. Remember seeing our usernames clash In the likes of the pro wrestling fourm which was more banter than anything

It's made you so angry you can't keep a base level of consistency anyway.......

If you think the government should trust us, then what difference does opening on a bank holiday make?

• Advertisement

Given the circumstances I would be surprised if prices had not gone up. Just about the only places in Dublin I did not see rises were those that were grossly overpriced pre-Covid.

Then again I was out in central London last weekend and surprised at the number of places selling pints for below the equivilent of €5, so there is some hope for deflationary pressure when things properly open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hardly surprising considering many places spent a load on meeting Covid restrictions (many 18 months ago) plus have had to hire additional staff, etc. to cover table service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Back in the pub now but it isn't the same. Dearer, drink isn't the same it seems either. Gives me a hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Call it out for what it is...price gouging. Some pubs have spent very little and it's not as though it's not added to the pubs by having large outdoor areas in converted car parks etc. As for extra staff, fair point but I haven't seen that many extra in the pubs I've been in that warranted 10% price rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Haven't some pubs been getting cheques from the government during the pandemic? And a lot of those outdoor areas I see have umbrellas and such with guinness or whatever on them, did diagio supply all these I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, as well as PUP and TWSS/EWSS, there are support schemes for businesses:

(1) they don't have to pay property rates to the local authority.

(2) pubs can apply for grants for outdoor furniture

(3) a whole range of other supports:

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Supports-for-SMEs/COVID-19-supports/

A rare post, only to cherish the return of live music. The killjoys fell short, reality intervened and how glorious it is. First time hearing live music in eighteen months, everybody standing and clapping. The end is nigh to this reprehensible scaremongering, let us never return to the dark ages.

Did you give out to the band for not playing songs you like after spending 30 euro per person?

• Advertisement

Your efforts at trolling fall short, I would advise taking up a new hobby.

Was it the same pub you tried to get a barman sacked for not bending the laws after you spent 200 euro between 8 people?

Man goes out for a few jars, observes a band in full flight and has a cracking night. Somehow, a disgruntled individual finds fault with that. Jesus wept.

Stay alert, sure Croke Park was danger zone yesterday. Covid was there and everyone who entered was to act as if it was there. Maybe that spilled over to other parts of the country

Some comedian is going to make a killing from the Irish governments response of Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

How much did your crowd spend tonight Bertie ? go on give us all another laugh ,,also did you try to get any other new staff sacked during a pandemic when people are struggling to find jobs ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Berties_Horse - threadbanned

• Advertisement

The industry are far from saints but there are issues like the extra staffing and thankfully an increase in wages because they couldn't get the staff to work for what was paid pre-covid but the elephant in the room is, and has been, Diageo and Heineken's near monopoly control of the pubs. If you try and carry a product they don't supply they threaten to pull support or their own products. My bar recently got an angry call from a rep because a video of a cocktail was put up made with the wrong brand of a certain spirit. Threatened to stop giving any deals. Then the two of them jack their prices because they know the pubs have to carry their products. Seriously if you want to try and help the bars who don't want to gouge you, start by buying products off them that aren't supplied by the big 2. For example of how hard that will be just on tap that means no Guinness, Smithwicks, Carlsberg, Hop House, Budweiser, Rockshore, Heineken, Coors, Murphy's, Orchard Thieves, Island's Edge, Applemans, Beamish, Lagunitas, Fosters, and I'm probably missing a few...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

So are we confirmed Coppers and the likes are going to be total free for alls from 22nd October?

have any of the big night clubs commented on their "comebacks".

I'll believe it when I see it. Everyone here knows the government heel-dragging playbook..

There is talk of licensing up to 6am but I think that is an outright fib just to quieten people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Except it's not just talk, because it's in the programme for government & the minister for Justice is already bringing forward the proposal on the license overhaul, the process kicked off a good few months ago now. It just has to go through due process, now it moves to the full drafting of bill and then debate etc and through the houses & eventually to president. Wouldn't be a shock to have the licensing laws vastly different this time next year to what they are now.

Will be interesting to see if it actually gets anywhere. After all the farting around over citizenship certificates I no longer differentiate between anything that is allegedly in the works and stuff that is mere talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Get your shift on

Copper Face Jacks to reopen on Friday 22nd October

There was talk of it precovid to be honest. I'd love to see the country move to more open licensing hours. I'd love 24 hour I could go for pints whenever I finished up. Unfortunately I don't see how bars will be able to take advantage of such extensions as most can't staff the hours they're open at the moment!

Personally I have given up completely on the Irish state sorting stuff out. I moved to London six weeks ago and have lost track of how many proper benders I have been on since.

There was talk of self service pubs a while ago. What happened?

There's one in Waterford open 2019, decent enough but I'd be more traditionalist and want my pint served to me

You get a card and load money onto it and then go up to the many taps and pour it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

There's an electricity in the air in Dublin city tonight that I haven't felt in a while, people know the end is coming and they're embracing it, the pubs are a little busier, the music's a little louder, and the craic is a solid 84...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

" I haven't felt it in a while, people know the end is coming and they're embracing it"

You sound like a looper with a megaphone at the end of Henry Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you would imagine this weekend would be perfect for going back to normal trading hours , things would be back to normal for 22 oct

• Advertisement
Advertisement