Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There is actually plenty of evidence in Josie Hellens statements about Alfie,stating that Sophie complained about the noise and "carry on" from his house, that her and Sophie were going to set a trap next time Alfie broke in to use the bath etc (how they both concluded it was Alfie I don't know but they did), and Sophie asked her to keep newspaper cuttings when he got drug raided for her.

Have you seen the statement or what is your source that Sophie and JH were going to set a trap and about keeping news cuttings of drug raids?

oh you mean quoting. i thought maybe tagged as in fb which i don't know how to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well you seem to be implying that involvement in any illegal activity, no matter how 'minor', makes it significantly more likely that Alfie was somehow implicated in Sophie's death. I'm saying that if growing small amounts of cannabis for his own personal use was the full extent of Alfie's involvement in 'drugs', that in my eyes is a 'crime' on a par with minor traffic offences or fare dodging and extremely unlikely to have any connection to such a brutal murder.

I don't know anything about them. Sorry. I knew Alfie through work and my then in-laws who were long standing friends of his, and had a house in different part of West Cork.

My connection is foodie crowd not Scull locals.

• Advertisement

Sweetest divine.

I am an expert on the conversation about Sophie that IB was part of that took place by Alfie's bbq in Aug 1996.

Because I was also part of the conversation. And when I heard the AGS were asked people about that conversation I wrote down what I remembered.

And I still have those notes.

That's it.

And I have never claimed otherwise.

Ok I see what you were replying to now. Still it is a fact Alfie was breaking the law re drugs. And how how does meeting IB once make Bannasidhe an expert on IB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I also find it odd that nothing was heard that night. For the record the weather for Cork that night was temp 3-4C, wind speed 20 to 25 mph and from the East/N East not a gale. It was reported that 'neighbours' heard fox screams.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Try to address the part of my post that deals with specifics which are on record rather than giving us your version of an investigation which is definitely not on record.

Alfie Lyons' 90% recollection of introducing Ian Bailey to Sophie was very damaging to Ian who was being accused of murder. That leads me to consider that if he was happy to say something like that without being certain he's a suspicious character. Especially since Ian Bailey is far more credible in this instance.

The same applies to Shirley's sighting of Ian on the laneway to her house.

They would have been highly unreliable witnesses. To put it mildly. Lots of people here can see that and wonder why.

• Advertisement

Not to mention all Alfie's plants had been eaten by goats in 1995.

Making suggestions he was involved in Sophie's death due to 'drugs' all the more farfetched.

I am an expert on the conversation about Sophie that IB was part of that took place by Alfie's bbq in Aug 1996.

what does that mean? It means nothing, there is no such expertise. Did you take an exam? You have what you remember and notes from 4 months later. How accurate are notes from four months later when you did not even know in August 1996 the conversation would be a possible issue later?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Alfie got in through the front porch window to use the bath in Sophie's house?

Ah,now

I'd say that anyone who entered the house when she wasn't there would have had a duplicate key. Maybe there was one left out somewhere just in case.

You would think Josephine would know that,

so why would she suggest intruder got in through the porch window?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Year last April or so I heard a fox scream for the first time ever. It was chilling, and if I hadn't read up prior that it was very much like a female screaming I'd have had a heart attack. After running downstairs, I flicked on the side light to see the rear of a fox going over the boundary and into the field next to us.

Now, if I heard the same sound living in a town I would be convinced it was a female in distress (it was that similar).

I'd be wondering if it was actually a fox that was heard that night?

Sure, but that's what's in the statements 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

• Advertisement

I don't know why she said that, perhaps she thought it possible. She may not have told her (Hellen) of an emergency hidden key outside. Sophie was described as secretive as well as tough and (strangely) fragile.

Shame a few more potential witnesses didn't make a few notes, instead of relying on memory months, years even decades later.

Ok, new scenario.

It's a few days before Christmas. Sophie's car has been gone all day. Alfie figures she's probably gone home to spend Christmas with her family. His water heater is fecked as usual so he grabs a towel and heads over to Sophie's for a nice warm bath. Let's himself in with his key, runs the bath and settles in.

Next thing he hears her car pull up. Bolrocks!!

So he sits there, water gradually getting colder, hoping she'll go to bed so he can sneak back home, but minutes turn into hours.

Then he hears a car, a knock at the door, recognises the voices - it's only phucking Ian Bailey and Jules come for a Christmas drink! Freeloading alco's!

Bailey reads a few poems, tries to flirt, Sophie is having none of it, so Bailey goes upstairs to take a schit.

Sitting on the throne, pants around his ankles, Bailey's eyes lock with Alfie, beside him, in the bath.

Before either can speak, there's a ruckus downstairs, it's Shirley come looking for Alfie.

It doesn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

@Bannasidhe There were comments earlier in the thread that Shirley had reported that Bailey called to her house in a disheveled state on the night of the murder. Did you ever hear anything about that? I'm presuming not since you say that she was shocked that Bailey was a suspect.

Also, bit of a guess, but Banna Thai mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for that. Judging by that data, if Sophie did scream, then it would be hard to believe that Alfie and Shirley didn't hear anything at all. The screams of foxes actually do sound different and would not be as loud as a woman screaming on top of her lungs in fear of her life. Even for those who don't know the screams of foxes would be identified as different to somebody human.

Another thought that I would find interesting to share: If Sophie would have discovered that somebody had access to her house in her absence either by picking her lock or having a spare key, and using her bathtub or doing whatever in her absence I would suggest that Sophie would not only have consulted with her housekeeper, but also with the police. Would the ( corrupt ) police then have known that Sophie was up to something? No idea? We can only speculate here.

What we also don't know is that the media, whether it's Netflix, Sky or various newspaper articles etc... really tell us all about the case? Maybe more is known, deliberately held back, not shared with the public? - just in case?

I understand it is very hard for you to believe tinytobe, (partly because you have said so about 20 times), but sometimes, we just have to accept the facts.

I found it hard to believe Santa didn't exist. Those presents on Christmas morning, the sleigh marks on the lawn.

But you know what? I eventually accepted it. And I moved on.

I hope you will eventually find closure on the issue of Alfie and Shirley not hearing anything that night.

Thoughts and prayers.

True what is reported is not the whole story and differs on details. There is probably more that is held back for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think it's very hard for you to understand that this is all a very speculative discussion. Why should you have thoughts and prayers?

And what facts are to be accepted here?

I think it's been mentioned multiple times that there is no factual evidence connecting anybody we know to this murder.

An interesting scenario. Make that into a movie and you may get an oscar for it.

First I heard of it.

The morning Sophie's body was found my then mother in law told me a terrible thing had happened and Shirley had found the body of that French woman who lived next door. She had just gotten a phone call from I assume Alfie. Our concern was for Shirley. Who was by all accounts in bits.

Although we saw them as usual over the holidays in the in-law's house we didn't talk to them about the murder as tbh it would have been crass to bring it up if they didn't. And they didn't.

Next mention I remember was early in the new year when father in law said his brother had been asked to give a statement about the party in Aug. Someone had given the AGS a list of people who were there but it wasn't correct or complete. My suspicion is IB gave the list.

Father in law went to guards, explained it was him not his brother and all they were interested in was did IB mention Sophie. He told them to talk to me.

He then told me to expect a call as the guards suspected IB and would be asking me about the party. I said who the f is Ian Bailey?

Turned out to be the tall bloke I had been talking to for hours. If I ever knew his name I had forgotten it.

There was shock all round that IB was the prime suspect, including Alfie and Shirley. No one could figure out what motive he would have.

Shirley never said anything in my presence about seeing IB, and if she had said it to the in laws they would have mentioned it.

Look, my impression was Bailey wasn't well liked but also wasn't the worst. A blowhole braggard drunk who could also be witty and charming. I think he fancied himself as an Oliver Reed type. But people were genuinely shocked that he was in the frame. The suspicion- based on no real evidence- was that it was connected to Sophie's life in France.

Alfie was a cranky sod, and one of the few people who tolerated IB. Shirley wasn't that fond of him. I can't see either of them lying to protect him, but neither can I see either of them lying to drop him in it.

They wanted the murderer caught so they could get on with their retirement plans in peace.

Banna Thai was not the name of the restaurant Alfie had that was famed for the glacial speed at which the food came out of the kitchen. 😉

I believe there's a Thai restaurant of that name in Ballincollig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Banna Thai was not the name of the restaurant Alfie had that was famed for the glacial speed at which the food came out of the kitchen. 😉

I believe there's a Thai restaurant of that name in Ballincollig.

I was just asking because of the similarity to your user name ☺️ My sister worked in Banna Thai in Cork City in the early 2000s. I didn't realise there was another one in Ballincollig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement