Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That was a beautiful individual try, will be a great pity if its chalked off.

PS it should not be for me, Dillane knew nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

If that wasn't deliberate from Ultan I don't know what is deliberate. Shocking decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Agree and the right decision was made. Might feel hard done by of it was the other way around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stunning try. Completely correct decision by the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Great 3rd quarter from Connacht to be fair. Tiring out the Bulls here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Connacht have been defensively sound for the most part and crucially haven't given away cheap penalties when the Bulls have threatened.

After a physical start, the Bulls haven't done anything. Goosen has been horrific. There's been some very questionable decision making. Mapoe one of the worst offenders kicking the ball away when the Bulls had numbers off a turnover.

I think Dillane knew what he was doing but he did little enough to get away with it. Correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Great to get the bonus point after going down 7 early. Some great party at times too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Serious tackling by connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Saffers are getting a proper baptism of autumnal rugby on the Atlantic coast, it'll be a shock to the system!

Still, fair is fair, the Irish provinces dealing with 34C at altitude won't be too clever either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Delighted with that last try, just to piss du Plessis off that little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Only caught the second half, in which I thought we were excellent. Mack Hansen has gotten to "ooohs every time he touches the ball" territory very fast. Great to have Tom Farrell back. Sam Arnold could make a great back row/outside back hybrid like Eddie Jones was on about a few years back.

Bulls were utter shite.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,635 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great performance by connacht and a very very valuable 5 points. They've made the sportsground a very difficult place for anyone to go to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Strap in everyone. The rollercoaster is back for another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

For those thinking we were on the verge of a nightmare season last week there is the point

I was not among them and agreed with Friend Cardiff defeat was actually encouraging after london Irish disaster

Today the important think is we matched a big pack overall. Unexpected

Bealham was my MOTM, same "everywhere game" as last week

Dowling's good but Fifita'a's physicality is a big plus

Boyle starting 6 as Prendergast recovers

Daly (strenght) Farrell (smartness) and Hansen (steps) will cause havoc

Carty, as usal, mixed errors with brillance

Duggan held, relieving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Prendergast, Tom Farrell and Hansen the standout players for me.

Tom Farrell can't be too far from a shot at 13 for Ireland.

The Bulls were poor, don't look fully fit and there didn't seem to be one quality standout player amongst them. Coetzee was anonymous.I am sure they will improve. Who have they to come back? Morne Steyn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That was a great nights work. Mack Hansen will deservedly get the headlines but there were plenty of rivals for man of the match, Dillane, Prendergast, Carty and Daly to name a few.

There was much greater intensity in defence I thought, best example was around 15 in when kick was blocked and recovered by Bulls about ten metres out. Pushed them back twenty metres and then a knock on, huge effort.

Papalli seemed noticeably cautious in defence which is understandable still thought he had a very solid 50 mins.

The tempo of the game caused the Bulls problems, a few of their players including no 11 had hands on their hips coming towards the end of the first half and looked fairly gassed. Friend was on about playing with greater tempo, certainly paid off tonight, it will be interesting to see if it continues to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I'm keen to see the Wooton, Hansen and Porch on the field together. They could pose teams some problems.

Is it correct that there was just one scrum penalty this evening? In general it seemed to hold together again, which is heartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Brilliant all round performance tonight by Connacht.

Played some great rugby in tricky conditions. The tries by T.O'H, Hansen and Farrell were things of beauty.

Pack fronted up really well against bigger men.

Bealham, Dillane, Prendergast, Boyle, Marmion, Daly all great.

Carty made a few mistakes, the competition between himself and Fitzgerald could be interesting.

Hansen could be a great signing. Fifita will add a lot to the pack as well.

Didn't see that Cardiff games but lots to be positive about based on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Tom Farrell's return could be a massive shot in the arm that's been needed. Daly has carried so much load in the past year at centre that having a creative 13 is a huge boost to breaks.

You'd do well to see a better debut than Hansen tonight. Was electric in attack, caught high ball under pressure and made tackles.

A great performance and a pleasure to be able to see crowds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Great win, 22 men of the match imo

Thought Duggan was great tonight, big tackle count and big physicality. Hansen is electric and Prendergast must be a pest to play against. Great great win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Prendergast reminds me of O'Mahoney, an Athletic 6 who can be great option in the lineout but also gets in your face defensively, he just needs to add a bit needle and cynical play that most good backrows have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭ersatz

I thought Connacht's defense was really impressive against that big pack. Forwards were very quick off the line inside the 22 to prevent the Bulls monsters getting any momentum, that really kept them at bay and sapped their resolve and confidence. Definitely one of those matches where the forwards won the game and the backs determined the margin. Connacht will take a lot away from that.

If that was a promising performance by Connacht then I am at a total loss. The passing was crazy, the lineout didn't work AGAIN. The ease of forcing through the Connacht defence was clear to see. I can't even call that a disjointed performance as that would be way too nice.

That was the must awful, reckless, I run out of adjectives to describe that muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Didn't realise Arnold came on in the back row until watching the highlights. Didn't look out of place.

Personally I thought Duggan did very well tonight and has eased some of my concerns about him and Burke being the LHs this season until Buckley comes back. If we sign more cover great but he looks great around the park and so far so good scrum wise. Ditto Burke last week.

Great to have Farrell back. Him and Daly really clicked tonight.

The cautiousness to have tonight is our wide defence wasn't tested at all. Duggan made more tackles than all back-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

If you can’t get enjoyment out of a bonus point win and that performance I think you need to find a different sport to follow

I just find that Connacht performance incredibly worrying. Yes it was a bonus point win but if that's how Connacht are going to play this season I think we are in for a long year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just watched the match back. Was Bismarck Du Plessis always such a mouthy fucker? Good way to make a ref decide to be extremely pedantic to your team.

Carty made some silly error early on under a lot of pressure from bulls, but I don't think we win that match without him. Defensively and offensively.

Tom and Tom is a well balanced midfield combo as most of us were hoping it would be.

• Advertisement

Farrell back is a big plus, but we're short behind.

Aki, Daly, Robb, Forde, are 12 and I suspect Bolton and Arnorld are too, more footwork than the others but not as speedy as a 13

That's why we try to convert O'sullivan there with Eagles, and that's why I'd keep Jennings there and not on the wing when he's back from 7's

Advertisement