Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day/Night meter

• 17-07-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i have a regular 24 hour meter in my house but want to switch to a day/night meter (just bought an EV). I’ve heard that if you ask your electricity provider they arrange with Electric Ireland to change the meter free of charge. I’m currently on a 24 hour tariff - if I change to day/night will that tie me in to a new contract with my current provider (contract is up shortly and I’ll be looking to switch).

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

i think they are doing away with the traditional day/night meter setup,and if you enquire now they would push a smart meter on you.just my speculation,be worth ringing them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you get a day/night meter mid contract, do you start a new 12 month contract with your provider, or finish the old contract under new terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi, thanks for the replies. I ended up ringing my provider and can confirm that it doesn’t kick you in to a new contract - you just go on to whatever the rates are within your tariff. They’ve requested a day night meter (not smart) for me from Electric Ireland. I’m waiting on an install date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

We asked for a day and night meter also but they said no , you get a smartmeter and thats what they installed last week

Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Comer1

What's the downside to a smart meter over a night meter?

I'm in the same boat myself, contract ending in a few weeks and want to switch to a night meter for a new EV. I had planned to request the day night meter from my current provider closer to the end of my contract. How close will depend on the lead time for an installation so I'd be interested in hearing from the OP what the time was between requesting and receiving an install.

Tariffs are pricey on the smart meters. Cheaper on the day / night.

Depends on what time you will use power We use at the cheapest time Nighttime the most at the moment so we will always cheaper than with an old meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Comer1

Hi OP, did you get the meter installed? How long was it between requesting the meter and installation?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I’m still waiting. It’s been a couple of weeks since I requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Gonna hijack this thread as it's semi-related.

I currently have a night meter that is unused, but I am still paying standing charges for. There were only storage heaters connected to it when we moved in which we got rid of.

I'd estimate we use 2-3 units overnight without scheduling washing machine etc, so it is crazy we haven't been making use of it.

As there is nothing connected to it (0 units used since storage heaters were removed), is it a major wiring job for an electrician to connect it up?

I'll guess it's a big fat 'depends' as to how the board is configured at the moment, so any advice is welcome.

Op, did you get your meter in the end and was it a big/expendive job?

Prefer to keep the old meters for now so I can better monitor day / night usage.

Hope to have a solar system installed in a few weeks, so will look at a Shelly CM clamp for monitoring then.

ESB turned up yesterday to fit the day / night meter. Took them about 10 minutes. Looking forward to charging the EV at night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

so its still possible to change to day/night meter?

Do you request from the electric Ireland or your energy provider?

Also, is your contract with your energy provider reset after switching to day/night, or do you just finish out your existing contract, albeit with different rates?

and just ro clarify my earlier question, I have a smart meter - can i still change to day/night meter?

AFAIK day/night is not available on the smart meters. Hence why a lot of people don't want them.

I stand corrected if that has changed.

Ya pretty sure day/night isnt available on the smart meter.

I'm wondering if I can change from smart meter to day night meter?

new build and meter installed during the week but not yet connected - nobody asked me which meter I wanted but it seems day night is much more preferable.

• Advertisement

I requested it from my provider. Took about 6 weeks. I saw them doing a few more on the road after mine so I reckon they just wait until they have a load in the same area. Took them about 10 minutes to do.

As regards contract, when you sign up for a plan with your energy provider they’ll have different rates based on your meter type. When you change your meter you switch to the appropriate rates for your meter. No new contract required. At least that’s what they told me. Always best to check with your provider to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

AFAIK day/ night meters will be phased out. Everybody will be on smart meters within 1-2 years. The main reasons are, there is no requirement to read smart meters it can be downloaded remotely. In future if you change providers the ESB will update readings automatically. As well it will allow consumers to see there electricity usage in half hour segments.

It will encourage consumers to use night rate for washing machines and dishwashers rather than daytime use. Charging will probably be split into at least 3 segments if not 4+. Peak, off peak and night-time. There is information coming that there will be different morning and even peak rates as the highest peak is evening time 5-8pm

Slava Ukrainii

Can definitely see that happening but gonna hold out until they sort out their unit rates for smart meters. Still way too expensive for night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

They aren't going to sort anything out to the advantage of the consumer, it will all to be of benefit to the supplier. Look at the current frequent price increases, the consumer will have to radically change their habits just to save money from the constant price increases. Cheaper ... electricity, yes (if you can manage your life around the restrictions required to reduce the impact of increases). Cheap electricity as a result of smart meters? ..... no.

No electricity supplier is interested in you using less electricity.... unless you are going to pay more for using less. The consumer will never win when supply is commercially motivated and when we are buying in a very small market base, with little or no competition between providers, inept government planning and ineffective independent regulation.

It's going to be an expensive cold winter.

Load your houses up with solar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

And many will still refuse to run those kitchen appliances (wm, dw, td) at night out of safety concerns.

I try to run them as much as possible at night, but have to start them when going to bed arournd 10-10:30. None of my 3 appliances have a delay function and have to be manually started if disconnected from the power so a smart plug won't help.

Smart plans definitely punitive for me, so will be hanging onto my old day/night meters as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be surprised if OP got an old day/ night meter. There is no way the ESB is putting in these old meters and replacing them maybe 4-6 months later. The smart metering project is supposed to be completed by 2024. If you get a smart meter you opt at present for the plan that is most applicable to to day, day/ night or smart metering.

The ESB is changing meters on a project basis. When its you turn in the installation process it will be installed around that time. You then can opt for smart metering but smart metering per say will not commence until the project is finished

Slava Ukrainii

I don't think I will be allowed switch from a smart meter to a day /night meter but that seems very unfair.

With electric Ireland I can pay 16c during the day and 8c at night.

The best deal with a smart meter is either 15c all the time or 22c day time, 11c during the night and then 6c from 2am to 4am.

They really aren't comparable at all- seems totally unfair- why are people being punished like this for changing to smart meters and why hasn't more been said about it.

Smart meters plans are crazy. I'll be refusing one in the short term until the price of the plans come down.

• Advertisement

Advertisement