Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

A good proportion of that age group would have got covid and are also now vaccinated, its fantastic to see life returning to normal for them.

The elderly and those at risk from the virus are getting booster shots now, some of these people will die from covid no matter how many vaccinations they get.

There is no more we can do for them now, life is too short for the rest of us not to live it fully, education etc for young people must not be curtailed again.

We are going to have high death numbers this winter and we need to accept this and plough on.

We should have been providing capacity for elderly people outside acute hospitals, I know one over ninety year old who has been in a hospital bed for eight weeks while family waited for nursing home place, this is a major cause of overcrowding and hospital waiting lists, its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

RTE reporting on CSO figures and our Finance Minister talking about same.

That said, things could be worse compared to others but it's a shame the Government lost the plot lockdown wise, spending has been nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And what would you have done with all those put out of work through no fault of themselves or their employer?

A bit more common sense regarding lockdowns would have been lovely. But this is old ground and looking forward to the 22nd for full reopening. Let's hope the government don't **** the bed before Christmas and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

I have to say that pilot nightclub event looked absolutely awful. Having to get tested by some lad in full PPE and everyone wearing masks outdoors in the que would really piss me off. It looked anything but normal. Meanwhile I have been to Belfast and London several times over the past few months where no masks, social distancing, testing or proof of vaccination have been required from me

We should have been doing proper pilot events for nightclubs all throughout Summer, not 3 weeks before they open for good. If they could manage to have no positive covid cases from the pilot event a few days ago they could have easily had the same outcome every weekend starting about 3 months ago when the mid twenties were getting vaccinated.

Absolutely pointless event and pure covid theatre as they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Come 22nd of October will people still wear masks going to the shop?

I will be ditching them on that date

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Well you probably wont be allowed in the shop since they will still be mandatory for shops

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What are you on about now ? Are you so eager to dig up old articles to push your doom and gloom that you jump on them without even reading the first?

Both links you posted are for Q2 2020,We are now in Q4 2021, 6 Quarters later.

I See you are now attempting to cast doubt on Davy`s forecast for 2021. Do you also doubt Bloomberg`s GDP growth for 2020 of 3.4% or the Dept of Finance figure of 15.6% growth for 2022.? If you are can you explain how you you see it growing from 3.4% January 2021 to 15.6% for 2022 without there being a significant increase for 2021?

You are the typical hurler on the ditch. Moaning about everything without a single answer for anything. You are on here attempting to spread your usual doom and gloom, this time on the economy, yet when asked in numerous posts for just one example of any country whose economy performed better, not a cheep from you. The simple facts are we outperformed every country in the E.U. (plus our nearest neighbour by a wide margin), during this pandemic, even having Brexit thrown into to mix, and are continuing to do so. But you are so tied up in your doom and gloom world of Ireland being the worstest in the world you cannot bring yourself to admit it.

If I have got you wrong, then show me as I have repeatedly asked you a country that has performed better economically that you believe we should have copied. If not then you are nothing other than a typical moaner that never had an answer to anything in this pandemic and is now resorting to dragging through history to caste doubts on an economy that is going strong despite all you dour predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I presume the logic of this is that people have to go to the shops. Other places are far more discretionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What usual doom and gloom am I spreading?

Someone said there was no recession in Ireland during the pandemic.

I said there was a backed it up, your going on and on like a moaning old woman as to figures that have been quoted both in q1 of last year and this year.

I didn't say once there were countries that did better unless you can quote where I did? If you can't then get over it and move on.

Did I say Ireland's economy is in the shitter? No but I can't believe you're absent minded to think that we won't need to pay back what was borrowed during all of this.

I sincerely hope the economy grows stronger and stronger but I really don't believe the economy will grow by 15% next year.. maybe I'll be wrong and I hope so.

But you go on and on and on, spreading God knows what even as you're just a pain to even try to have a debate with.

Are you so eager to post how amazing things are to continue your tinted roses outlook on everything? If yes then God love ya, must be easy being you.

• Advertisement

Tony’s back on the radio news bulletins spouting off of masks still in shops and restaurants/pubs.he’s not letting go of the power he has taken over

I would much rather have at least a semi-positive outlook than be a constant moaner that criticises everything yet has no credible alternative when asked on anything.

I don't see those masks ever going. People talk about the 22nd of October, but there's no guarantee they'll be gone anywhere on the 22nd. Restaurants, pubs, bars etc could continue to insist that people wear them. I can't see theatres just opening their doors on the 22nd and being as they were before the two weeks to flatten the curve almost two years ago.

RTÉ have masks on their programmes, there are ads on the telly about shopping and everyone in them is wearing masks, the HSE runs ads about masks. No escape from masks in Ireland.

We keep hearing about following the science. How can the science in Denmark be that masks aren't needed anywhere, with 70 something percent of the population vaccinated (last I checked), but the science in Ireland be that even with 90 something percent of people vaccinated masks are required in all retail, on public transport, in healthcare settings, in schools, and who knows where else after the 22nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NPHET knows best don't be dissiming there advice . Could be VARIANTS OF CONCERN out there yet to be discovered

Yeah its a load of BS what us Irish people are going through

Only place variants of concern are being mentioned is this madhouse

Right, can't see how or where I've criticized everything but I'm going to just leave it there. I answered what I could, just arguing the toss with someone like you just makes it pointless.

LOL. you didn`t answer anything when asked who has performed better economically or even how you believe Ireland could have. There was no toss to argue. Just you moaning about a Q2 2020 report where even back then we were out-performing the rest of the E.U. and the U.K.

Try looking at the positives now rather than digging back in history searching for long gone brief negatives. Much better for your mental health.

Look, you didn't answer my questions either.

I answered a post which said there was no recession in Ireland by showing that we did indeed enter a recession and numerous sources were provided to back that up. You countered this with pointless arguments that we are doing great and seemed absolutely adamant that the links I provided are not valid and began screaming about Davy and Bloomberg.

I can't be bothered with this anymore, the thread has been clogged up with it, you don't want to accept Ireland entered a recession and that's your prerogative.

I choose to believe what I'm reading about it in the same way I don't believe wearing masks over and over does us any good - and moreso when we wear the same mask non stop.

We had one of the continents longest lockdowns, maybe we should have exited the whole thing much earlier and had a much quicker recovery instead of caution here and caution there which in itself has caused its own untold misery and problems whereas other countries opened up.

Good luck to you but with this particular topic I'm done.

A pintless answer to a 2020 Q2 article on our economy which was even then outperforming everyone else that showed by Q4 2020 our economy had grown by 3.4% and is predicted by our own Dept of Finance to grow by 15.6% next year!!

You appear to be determined to stay in your own doom and gloom world doubting both Bloomberg, our on Dept of Finance and anyone else on an economy that is outperforming all and sundry based on nothing other than what`s in your own head, without a single example of how the economy could have performed better or anywhere that has.

What good you expect that to do for you I have no idea, but good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You are arguing around the same thing. There was a recession. Now there's not. Sin é.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we all getting tourism vouchers ?

I presume you are refering to me. If so the only reason I even engaged is because there is enough pointless whinging here from the usual suspects without going back to Q2 2020 moaning about an economy that is outperforming the rest of Europe, is predicted to continue to do so, and was even doing so for Q2 2020.

It`s very questionable if we were in recession. A recession by definition is two consecutive quarters of negative growth. Negative for Q2 2020, but far as I recall not just Bloomberg but our own CSO reported positive growth for Q1 2020. A bit like one swallow not making a Summer. Not that It really matters looking at the present figures and predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah you could be onto something,maybe its a conspiracy!

Jesus it just doesn't end.

Why is it questionable?

We entered it as per the definition and then exited it in q4 and we've had positive growth ever since.

Let's just hope this stays on the right path and all those that lost their jobs get them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The confusion stems from various figures from the CSO:

Needless to say year on year growth was 2.47%, the only EU/Western economy to have growth for 2020.

Advertisement