Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ok, an obvious one is cheap flights. Let Greta go to the airport and tell those people and their family that they have no jobs. Get up on stage and tell people the consequences of what’s being called for. No sun holiday ever again, no PS5, no new phone. See how many clap when they hear the actual implications of what’s being called for. That’s what’s actually needed for real change. It’s easy to call for change when you don’t have people that are feeling the consequences of those changes screaming for your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's quite an ability to constantly talk about negative impacts of change while ignoring the negative impacts of no change.

This was published in 'Science' academic journal this week.

Children born today are likely to face seven times more extreme weather events than their grandparents

What do you think that looks like in reality? Do you think if people believed this, that they'd still focus on material goods over their safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Except we are not doing the same things and it's only started although you seem to favour the instant magic wand version. Strategies that look one, two or three decades out are structured that way for a reason - they recognise that is the way to measure and plan these timescales.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Virtually all. You say. So there are climate professionals who don't agree yet you are without question correct. Any comment re how man might adjust to rising sea levels. We have seen diagrams of 50 percent of Dublin under water in coming years' completely ignoring that even if the water level predictions are correct, we will have Engineered out most of the problem. It's just scare tactics.

The CO2 chart is abit Hollywood. Lots of nice variation appearing to stay within a predictable range. What caused the previous high point 350000 years ago I wonder? How did it turn around?

What caused each and every dip previously?

That chart would appear to prove the natural cycles theory.

There is also a very obvious flaw in the chart.

Each time division on that chart is 50000 years. Fair enough. The final portion deals with the last 70 years and shows this massive vertical line. I'd respectfully suggest that any similar spike over any random 70 to 100 year period in the past would not even register on that same chart. It's presented to drive home a point to people just looking for proof of doom.

Its not smart to try to steer the discussion with 'be as specific as possible' but

We could start as I said by not focusing on taxing the naturally occurring gas. The gas that we are actively panicking to bottle this very week for food production.

Tax instead vehicles by cancer causing emissions.

Tax businesses producing cancer causing plumes of smoke 24 hours a day. This would cause price increases but it's a better way to go that taxing the end user for using a product.

Bring troublesome nations like china to the table. A tiny percentage change from china would be more beneficial than anything taxation in Ireland can do or the entire eu would likely achieve.

The Chinese are laughing at us. Happily taking penalties for burning a briquette while they open coal plants by the dozen.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought this was an excellent take on Thunderberg by Britain's most popular historian David Starkey :D

A lot of people in the UK have been advocating history lessons so this is most appropriate in that regard too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgvJPSOTTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Honest, why would you want to travel when all you have to do to experience a locale is youchube it. All in perfectly luscious HD. Who neez to get to the airport, lug them stoopid bags from one terminal to another, get cleared at so many points along the way, vomit on yourself just before crashing in a big ball of fire?

Going back to CO2 chart earlier in thread.

It's all very interesting. Multiple deep ice cores were taken to get a read on CO2 levels going back 800000 years. I've read that this was established by looking at trapped air bubbles within the ice.

Now taking a super simplistic view of this, but how do we know that large portions of the CO2 levels are not being wiped out of existence by ice melts every 50000 years or so. As I say I'm taking a simplistic view but at the most basic level, if CO2 levels rise the ice melts removing a few thousand years of records of trapped air bubbles that would have shown extreme high levels of co2. A natural cycle of the planet brings CO2 down, ice starts to form, incapsulating air bubbles with those reduced levels of co2.

It would certainly explain the almost perfect sawtooth graph.

I'm genuinely interested to know how science got around this because if we were relying on this method now, how many thousands of years records would we be missing based on ongoing melting.

There is nothing about any of the posts I have made about any of the threads on this topic that indicate I think there is a magic wand solution to this.

It has been clear since the 80's of the growing problem and in our (humans) role in exacerbating it. It is clear we are running out of time and while I can remember commentary on this being accompanied with 'If we want to prevent damage' it has now moved to 'We need to limit the damage' which is another indication of the failure of strategies to this point.

Any further comment re my thinking on the historic CO2 chart linked earlier.

It's all Abit convenient as in results showing what suits the climate change agenda.

It's all Abit convenient as in results showing what suits the climate change agenda.

Or another way to put it, the climate agenda has been set by the known results...

There's reams of data on how scientists have gotten to the conclusion they have, even without access to academic platforms, places like Google Scholar can show you plenty on this.

As for the not all scientists comment you alluded to in that post as inferring that that mean there was significant division of opinion on the the issues affecting the climate and the potential severity of these issues. There isn't.

Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate Is Warming

Climate change is real. There will always be uncertainty in understanding a system as complex as the world’s climate. However there is now strong evidence that significant global warming is occurring. The evidence comes from direct measurements of rising surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures and from phenomena such as increases in average global sea levels, retreating glaciers, and changes to many physical and biological systems. It is likely that most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities (IPCC 2001).

From within that page.

The following page lists the nearly 200 worldwide scientific organizations that hold the position that climate change has been caused by human action.

http://www.opr.ca.gov/facts/list-of-scientific-organizations.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our environmental issues have been raised by some since before the 80's, i completely agree, we ve completely failed to address these issues, and have indeed exasperated them, to the point we could be completely fcuked now, we simply dont know for sure. radical changes are required immediately, which is very unlikely to occur, so.....

our environmental issues have been raised by some since before the 80's

Absolutely. I was referring to the timeframe during which I have been observing conversations on these matters. It is really upsetting to consider that throughout this time, and particularly in the last 20 years, we have gone full steam in the direction of single use plastics, short life electronic goods and fast fashion when we should have been focusing on sustainability.

And now, the employment, sales and tax revenue associated with these practices are considered too important to impact and so it goes on. Very depressing really.

absolutely agree, the underlying issues can be directly connected the fundamentals of modern political and economic ideologies, we re clearly now experiencing a catastrophic collapse of these ideologies, and we ve ultimately decided, lets continue with them, just to see for sure! thankfully many have started to realise this, and alternatives are being worked on, hopefully we can pull if off, future generations require this, or the human race could be done

There really is no point harping back to what could have been in the past and as for radical change that is an extremely tall order in a world where the UN has 193 countries. Most plans or proposals you look at now do have an interim target for 2030 but the vast majority of them go out to 2050 on the really big changes. That is as radical as it gets.

disagree there, reflection on history is always important, as it truly can shows us how full of sh1t we are, we make promises to ourselves, and effectively do fcuk all. our current radical proposals will more than likely fail, and failure isnt an option here, we need to be far more radical, if we want a chance of even succeeding. thankfully the youth are here now, and they truly dont give a fcuk about our talk, i think they ll make it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People always in denial about their destruction of the planet. We have had it so easy. Families are smaller in the consumer world but we consume so much more now. It's payback time. I can't see how it can happen in any kind of controlled fashion. Unfortunately the rich will hold onto the lifeboats for as long as possible. In Ireland we are distracted by house prices and property booms as usual. We are like goldfish.

And so it goes.

Marvin Gaye singing about it in the 70s ...

Even Erasure, yes!, wrote a song about this back in 1991. Funny they had a line about shopping at home.

Chorus

Go ahead with your dreamin'

For what it's worth

Or you'll be stricken bound

Kickin' up dirt

For when it's dark

You never know what the night it may bring

Go ahead with your schemin'

And shop at home

You'll find treasure

While cookin' up bones

But the knife is sharp

You'd better watch that you don't cut your hands

And they covered up the sun

Until the birds had flown away

And the fishes in the sea

Had gone to sleep

Sure but wallowing in it to exact some form of payback is of no use to anyone. To make things happen you need a plan, multiple plans. This is just wishy washy aspirational stuff. And the youth will do absolutely nothing apart from protest. No bad thing to do but payments for whatever we do will come from the current working generations so more effort needs to be spent persuading them of the benefits and explaining to them just how much all of this is going to cost. It's going to be big!

theres severe limitations in what the current workforce can do about this, our default is to effectively charge them for it, including in the form of taxation, this approach simply wont work. this is in fact one of the main reasons why theres such push back, and this is completely understandable, theres only so many layers on an onion. we in fact need to create brand spanking new institutions and systems to also try tackle this, in both the public and private domains, but particularly in the public, this hasnt happened yet!

funnily enough, you ll find most of those youth will grow up quickly, eventually becoming apart of the workforce themselves, and again, theyre seriously p1ssed, and theyre gonna be far more proactive than us older generations

To study in detail how large periods of ice melt are accounted for when measuring historic CO2 within ice cores would be very interesting. I would love if you could point me in direction of such info.

I have an Engineering degree and am capable of reading scientific papers to a reasonable level of understanding.

Capable of reading academic papers but not being able to source them is a first for me, I'll grant you that.

Here's 1 that took 0.02 seconds of a search in Google Scholar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

More than 99.9% of peer-reviewed scientific papers agree that climate change is mainly caused by humans, according to a new survey of 88,125 climate-related studies.

The research updates a similar 2013 paper revealing that 97% of studies published between 1991 and 2012 supported the idea that human activities are altering Earth’s climate. The current survey examines the literature published from 2012 to November 2020 to explore whether the consensus has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood...

...striving for a standard of living like mine

HOW DARE YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This is an event for world leaders not climate change activists. Not sure what they think they can contribute. It’s not a town hall. I mean Bono can’t drop in uninvited either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Putin never seemed interested.

Boris Johnson studied Greek poetry at University, I'd take Greta's thoughts on the climate ahead of that background.

World leaders need to implement the change, but someone needs to advocate for the change also and we know that the leaders to this point haven't done enough.

What did greta study?

You think the last 3 years of climate focused activity was inconsequential?

She already spoke at the House of Commons, the UN, the EU. Do you think they asked her to do so thinking she had nothing to contribute to the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I agree with him to a certain extent.

The cynical side of me even thinks, that perhaps there is a hidden agenda behind the climate change movement. To prevent emerging nations from using the same old technology like fossil fuels etc, to catch up with the affluent western nations who could use them to build up their power without any consequences. Like pulling the rope up after you make it to the top of the mountain, so nobody else can ever hope to join you.

But of course that would be a very cynical way to look at things. Most of the time, I manage to be more open minded about people's motives.

Russia is interesting. They seem to be going full steam ahead with nuclear power. It's a clean reliable energy source, but obviously comes with massive potential risks. Putin seems happy to roll the dice on this, and it could pay huge dividends if other major nations are economically hamstrung by emissions restrictions. Something that is also very often overlooked, is that 50% of the world's trees are in Russian territory. They could emerge as one of the leading nations with regard to climate change action, but I doubt they will get much international credit while Putin is in charge.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was it she annoy fat middle age guys and boards soccer mods?

Advertisement