Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Seems v happy with the Chinese factory quality of it too - went through every nook and cranny of it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As expected really. MIC Model Y with LiFePo4 batteries quite likely years ahead of the competition still. If that is improved upon again with the Berlin factory that gap is far from being closed. Although I suspect the main improvements from Berlin will be in more mundane areas like paint, I'm not expecting any cutting edge tech stuff or build quality improvements. I'm not convinced 4680 structural cells are all that better than LiFePo4 currently in MIC cars, if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 36 landlord2020

thinking of putting a deposit on a €50K Q4 e-tron (77Kwh) for delivery in Q1

If I waited for Berlin to produce RHD model Y what would be the expected time and estimated starting price in Ireland ?

Nobody knows.

That said, a few things are near certain. Even the base model Model Y will cost more than that €50k Q4 e-tron (which is basically a VW ID.4), it will have a smaller battery than the Audi, but it is far more efficient, so should have similar range. It also has a far superior autonomous driving system as standard. And I doubt it will be available before Q3 delivery

All true, but I’m not sure the mass market volume buyer will care (or know anything about) about MIC, LiFePo4 or 4680 cells, and are more likely to be attracted to Tesla by the ‘it’s cool and I can afford it’ factor.

in the mass market, it’s all about price and need, hence the ID4 is in the sweet spot at the moment, irrespective of how many years the Y might be ahead of it in underlying tech.

‘done is better than perfect’. The ID4 was announced far later but got to market first and is sweeping up the potential buyers

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. ID.4 is aimed at people just wanting to replace their ICE with a decent EV, costing roughly the same to buy. VW has done an excellent job aiming for this market and producing the cars in the quantities the people are looking for. The car is a good 5-10 years behind Tesla, but does that matter? Do buyers care? I'd say no to both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ID4 and eTron great EVs, if folk undecided then the Supercharger Network kicks in, by the time MY arrives here we should have 10 SuC hubs minimum on the island, that's a big selling factor

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Big caveat with LFP is the winter performance.

The initial winter performance with Model 3s wasn't amazing.

Time will tell if updates and improvements have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Why would the range go down so quick at 70 miles an hour ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Drag, lower the drag the lower the difference, there's fek all difference between me driving my S at 120 versus 110 due to good drag co-efficient, I'd have to drop to 100 to see anything worthwhile and I ain't doing that on a motorway as it kinda defeats the purpose of choosing that road

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

@ 2.5x ?? .. he said with 230 miles of range left he would assume 100 miles at that speed

No. Not 2.5x. Nowhere near it. I suspect that owner is a fool. Or he is talking porkies to get his view count up. That plan is working. I don't want to, but I will watch that video to see what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

There are a hell lot of similar reviews in China where electric cars are becoming increasingly popular. They always focus on things like batteries are nowhere as good as petrols, auto pilot kills etc.

These people are 9 times out of 10 paid by some big petrol car brands and most EV owners are disgusted by those, but there’s nothing we can do.

The common consensus is that depending on speed/air-con/weather/acceleration, the real range is around 65%-95% of the advertised range for LFP batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Every time I see an ID.4 taxi (or any other EV taxi like a Leaf or the white Tesla Model 3 I regularly see around Lucan), I think: clever taxi man.

He is selling the car because:

1. The headrests don't move - you didn't notice on your test drive?
    2. The range is off - dude the range on any car is based on a standard cycle. That only touches the speed limit for a minute out of the 30 minute cycle. If you drive at 70MPH you have significantly less range than the cycle would suggest. In any car. Not just EVs. The car displays 223mi and he reckons he has about 100mi range. Bollox. Unless he drives at very far above the speed limit, I guess well over 100MPH. He obviously has never used the satnav then either, which will guide you to your destination via superchargers, so you don't have to worry about your range on a long range trip in a country with plenty of superchargers everywhere (like the US or most of Europe)
    3. Electricity costs - it's expensive to charge at superchargers "and I never charge it at home because it only charges at like 5 miles every hour". And even if he charged solely at superchargers, it would cost roughly the same as any ICE vehicle. Not that he must be short of cash buying a Tesla Model Y performance

What a tool 🙄

I was out running yesterday and passed a Renault Zoe taxi in swords :D

surely theres a regulation against it, you’d think

Post edited by sk8board on

"Renault Zoe taxi in swords surely there a regulation against it, you’d think"

OK as a taxi if restricted to Deliveroo work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

My GF picked up the Q4 35 e-tron Sport (52KWh) for €52k (including a tow-bar). If you can get a 77KWh for under 60 the current owners have been had alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Well, the Germans have taken a Model Y and turned it into a methanol burner for some reason.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/09/23/lets-take-a-tesla-and-f-it-up-german-government/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Filtering out the click bait , essentially:

“But the methanol car itself is also an ‘innovation showcase’ for low-emission, resource- and energy-efficient mobility of tomorrow. Synthetic fuels play an important role in making a sustainable, climate-friendly mobility system possible worldwide. This is important in shipping and air traffic or wherever a charging station for the electric car may not always be available in the future. This is where the serial hybrid drive can be a good solution in the long term.”

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Just took home an Audi E-tron Q4 Advance 40 500km max range ( 80 kwh battery - 77 usable ) for €53K ( includes mettalic paint, different alloys, 4 years "servicing" ), Audi also gave 2k more for the trade in versus tesla (buying a model 3), which i decided when I sat into wasnt for me

Decided the 5k grant might disappear on the model y and think the FSD will be too far off in Ireland to make a difference.

Sure the Audi price list is on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Want to switch a model s for a model 3 or y but would be interested in something like the audi as just had first child a while back. Do you get anything close to the 500km range?

dont know only have it a day .. theres an etron thread in this forum though so wouldnt want to hijack this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Pricing on the site for that is €55k atm so with the paint etc. you got a great deal there. I was forgetting about the Sport vs Advance price difference, basically we paid €5k more for a reversing camera and foldy wing mirrors which was probably not a good idea :D

sorry the site has gross prices before grants ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Not sure if it was mentioned here but there is a model Y in Ireland. It's a European import with steering wheel on wrong side. I am not sure if it will be for sale but it's not owned by Tesla and is being test driven by one Irish YouTuber for a review, might be good for someone considering waiting for a Y. I would not buy wrong side steering wheel. Besides increased insurance, overtaking on windy rural roads would be dodgy.

Might be handy for a test drive just to make up mind on ordering one, but might not be available for test drives, may have been imported for a specific customer.

See the tweets at bottom of this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The Zoe technically doesn’t pass the space requirements of a SPSV, but like the old 2r kWh leaf, they give it a special exemption as it encourages ev uptake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s quite a few M3’s as taxis now.

it’s a clever purchase by a taxi driver as they can be on the road in a brand new SR+ for under €29k.

Advertisement