Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That’s a pain in hole having to remember to do that every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've been complaining about this since they brought it in but @Boards.ie: Niamh says we're in the minority and most people wanted it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a nonsense that the default is On. Who wants to bookmark every thread they look at and do so indefinately?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It makes sense that the default is on because most people will want to follow threads they've posted in.

But yeah, the lack of an option to unfollow threads is the real issue. Ties in again with the daft notification issues (which apparently aren't a priority, so it looks like we're stuck)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I want to follow the threads I comment on, and I think that's most people's preference too. I just want them to appear in my Bookmarks, not receive emails or notifications about them, and that seems to be working ok now. It's easy enough to unfollow a thread afterwards.

My main remaining gripe is that Bookmarks is still awkward to get to on the Desktop site. The floating "my forums" list would be nice to have back too but I understand it may not be possible on this platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In fairness, you are in the minority. It was one of the most commonly complained-about things after the migration. If there's no option, then the default should definitely be set to auto-follow.

That said, there absolutely should be an option

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Bookmarks is pretty accessible, I would have said? Click your profile pic in the top-right, then Bookmarks

Oh and a floating forums list is definitely possible. This is what I have implemented in my Boards extension (see sig for more details):

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

In a blog from a very prominent Drupal developer, he talks about how his organisation moved from the open source system to a proprietary system, gave it a chance, and then moved back after learning that it wasn't working out.

In planning to support one of the Sitecore websites going live, I had to point out that we needed to assume that the website would have issues and possibly even a show-stopping problem. Like Drupal, I would not launch a Drupal or Sitecore website without some experts on call to help troubleshoot any unexpected problems. As time went on, the challenges with Sitecore started to add up. Gradually a few developers began to express that moving existing websites and applications, including Drupal, to Sitecore was going to at the very least initially be a step back in terms of productivity and available functionality.

Changing direction and moving back toward Drupal

After a recent shift in leadership and introspection by several technical architects, leads, and managers, my organization decided not to move from Drupal to Sitecore. There is now an exploration to possibly leverage Drupal more within the organization. It is unique that people at my organization could listen collaboratively, pause, and rethink such an impactful decision and change direction.

This is not a unique thing to happen to a company. And a company must learn quickly that a mistake has been made.

In my opinion, the site could have got a Xenforo license for a couple of hundred a year, put the site on Github and let us, the community build out all the custom features and themes etc. The site wouldn't have given us the DB but would have provided an API. Plenty on here would be happy for their Githubs to show contributions to a big Irish site.

That's a bit of a misrepresentation of the story: they didn't migrate and then migrate back - they investigated migrating and then decided not to. That's a very different proposal to rolling back something that's already gone live. Rolling back to vBulletin isn't a realistic option.

The major mistakes made in the Boards migration were in the investigative stage (or rather, lack-of-investigative stage). Everything after that was just window-dressing.

My point is that they invested time and energy and decided to make a change. And anyways, I wasn't going looking for comparisons. I was reading the blog and it made me think of boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

One of my posts was moved to a different thread (incorrectly, I should note) and the thread wasn't bookmarked so I had firstly no idea it was moved and secondly no idea I was being responded to (until someone quoted me). Feels like if a thread is moved, you should be auto-following the thread to catch replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

"Pain in the hole" can sum up the whole new site.

• Doesn't display how many members/guests are online
    • Can't quickly search for forums in the search bar (which is not permanently available to type into now anyways)
    • Thread previews on hover over, in forums is gone
    • Thread previews on hover over on latest posts shows text formatting tags
    • Notification (number on profile) when a new post was made in a thread you followed is gone.
    • Number of thanks is now just a number (old site listed user names which often made a statement in itself when highly thanked)
    • List of most thanked posts is gone
    • Post time on home page is still 1 hour out.

What's improved for the users?

• Ability to save drafts

I now never browse random forums like I did before. Forums I used to frequent a lot are dying a quick death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I'd have to agree with the previous comment, seems no one at boards has any control over how the website should be. This stems from the fact that Odhran has said more than a few times about a Pull Request's. You don't need to do a Pull Request if you have control over the website's repo you merge the updates into the code to push it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When you select "Newest" you get zero search results. This has been the case ever since the migration and has been pointed out many times.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Vanilla is simply not fit for purpose and never will be.

Plenty of businesses have failed (as in gone bust) after trying to implement SAP...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I'd say it is fit for purpose up until the point when you compare it to the old site. It is just seriously lacking in the features that the old site had, just look at what users are doing with it to make it a better experience by enhancing it. Have to remember also that the the old site was using a lot of redundant code that is not compatible with the new site and the people who created that code/plugins are no longer users. Also vanilla are most likely not contractually obliged to make any plugins or add features. To speculate they were paid for the migration and to maintain the database which they did & do, you don't add features in maintaining the code unless it helps in maintaining it further.

Plenty of far better systems out there which were actually designed to run forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

Exactly. Clearly lacking features that the previous site had and this must have been obvious to Boards staff before the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes but that’s a pain and you don’t always remember to do it. I mean not having it selected by default should be an option

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It should be but it's not a feature of the plugin used for it. If it were, we'd have enabled it but for now it's on a list of features that would be nice to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A lot of the standard features seem to be nice to have but you cant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Did you post the screenshots of the issue were complaining about per Niamh's request or is it yet another case of you simply not knowing what you are talking about, as was the case with the new discussion button?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'll post it as soon as it happens again and go away with your usual posts full of insults

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Snowcast

Hi,

New to this thread and I haven't read it all. I've been struggling a bit with the new look etc. of the forums but I'm getting used to it. One feature I really miss is being able to view members old posts via their profile.

I used to post in food/cooking and there are some posts I was looking for, but cannot find them and I can't go through the posters older posts to find them. Would really love for that feature to come back, is there any chance it will?

Many thanks.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi @Snowcast thanks for the feedback. At the moment you can do that on mobile but not on desktop, I hace asked someone to look at this asap so that you can do it from both.

You go to the user's profile page on mpobile by tapping on their username or their avatar; then scroll to the very bottom of their profile page. I have used your profile as an example here. If I go to your profile oage, this what I see:

You have posted 14 times (comnments) but have not started any new discussions (threads). If I tap on 'Comments' I will get this list, it includes all of your posts:

I hope that helps.

You can go directly to https://www.boards.ie/profile/comments/[username] on desktop e.g. https://www.boards.ie/profile/comments/Snowcast.

You can also use search: https://www.boards.ie/search. Just enter the username in the Author field, and set the sort by to "Newest"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This isn't a big issue (I'm more curious than anything), but why is there a discrepancy between the post count that appears to the right of our actual posts, and the post count on our profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

Any updates from Boards this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,182 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I click into a new (to me) long thread, say 10 pages long, read a few posts, then go off to another thread.

Later I click on the little down-arrow beside the OP's name, which as far as I know should bring me to the first unread post - but I get bounced into random posts somewhere in the middle of the thread. Not even the first post on those pages, but random posts in the middle of random pages.

Next time, I get sent somewhere else entirely within the thread.

That little arrow button ain't working properly.

This is on desktop, using Firefox.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement