Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Do you know something! Your right Bass, why didn't keane and crew take a week to think about it, meet up and make a decision and announce it one way or another, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

His term is up. The majority of the footballing public is against his reappointment. We are nearly as far away from winning Sam as when he was appointed.

He should have have walked away. He had the chance to do that with dignity he chose not to. It was like when he took over 3 years ago there was a hullabaloo over the fact he did not contact some senior players, the fact he did not contact them gave those players to announce there retirement, they choose not to. I defended him over that just them he had his chance to make a public announcement.

I do not think any time f the present management or coaches should be involved in the new set up unless the new management team expresses there confidence in them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

As excited and hopeful as I was for Keane to take over, it does seem the correct decision not to ratify him for a longer term. He had such a golden opportunity in 2019 and they let it slip. Same story this year and no sign of any improvement. Can't see us winning an All Ireland under him

Still find it odd there was no statement made from the County board specifically on Keane(unless I missed it). Surely to god they aren't making him re-apply and thry are now looking elsewhere? Makes no sense if they are making him re-apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

well his 3 years is up... so hes no longer manager as such... as far as i know hes not looking for another year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i have no doubt he gave it his best shot... but it just hasnt worked out for him and the team... possibly should have spent a couple years with U20 side before making the step up to senior... big difference between managing 17year olds still in school and a 24 year old who might be a teacher in Cork.. guard in Limerick.. welder in Liebherr... etc.. tbh the senior team played like an underage team under his management... the Kerry gig shouldnt be a retirement home for past Kerry players either... the idea of Seamus Moynihan being manager is ridiculous... Has t be someone who has come a similar route as say John Kiely... manager of intermediate team... manager U21's .. selector with seniors.. manager of seniors... Moynihan does NOT fit that description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Seamus Moynihan & Donie Buckley is a great ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Donie Buckley is back with Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've seen this a lot. People literally typing one sentence. Xx and yy would be great.

But nobody ever elaborates and says why the people they mention would be any good.

I'm not seeing any reason why Seamus and Donie should get the gig. We all know Donie is a great coach, defensively solid but what has his name in lights for the county job?

And Seamus? Apart from being a legend in the kingdom. What are his managerial credentials for a job that is expected to deliver an All Ireland every year?

I'm genuinely interested in anyone's thoughts cos when I ask people in real life, they just say ah who else is there or they'd be the men for the job. Maybe online people have a chance to think longer and come up with an answer.

The problem is that over the last while the county board was not inclined to integrate former players into the coaching/ management setup. They had all there basket of eggs invested in Keane. Nothing wrong with that but it did not work out.

That leaves the county with a bit of a problem. With no obvious successor they must look at different options. It is highly unlikely that they will consider an outside appointment. There is an ''anybody but jack brigade''. I saw yesterday online where Mickey Ned was added to the Donie/ Seamus ticket as it seemed neither wanted to be front of house managing the media and PR. The ABJ brigade are trying to put team together. Thomas O'Se got out of town fast before he was co-opted onto it.

Jack and Declan O Sullivan look the most likely team at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

This whole **** show has me thinking that maybe we have a bigger issue then PKs position. Are the Kerry county board executive capable of bringing us back to the top by making the correct decisions and having the best structures in place. Should Tim Murphy, Eamon Whelan and Co get their p45s also?

Whoever gets the job now is going to be under incredible pressure for immediate results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Everyone always says management, players etc need to be held accountable but what about the CB? They're the ones who appoint the management teams. In the last 10 years there's been some terrible appointments at U20/21 particular. John Kennedy, who i recently found out pretty much didn't actually want the job but again why wasn;t there someone else?, managed Kerry to a 20 plus point loss in a Munster final. Éamonn Fitzmaurice to be fair didn't do too badly but was only there for a year. Darragh O Se 🙄 Jack O Connor left at it for too long but would more than likely have won in 2018 if it wasn't for stupidest rule the GAA has ever brought in. Last two seasons have been hard to judge for a lot of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Jack is back from what I've heard this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yep just mentioned on Radio Kerry.

Jack, Diarmuid Murphy and Micheal Qirkue, will be submitted by the sub committee for ratification.

Dont know what to make of it. History wont be kind to PK but best of luck to him. One of the toughest jobs in the game with massive expectation so takes balls to take it on.

Is Jack the best bet? I bloody hope so cos at the moment there is absolutely nothing to suggest this team has an all Ireland in them. I'd hate to turn into a Mayo and a team of nearly men, going in with hope every year only to be let down so consistenly, so I really hope they win one in the next 2 or 3 years.

Regardless, we will support the lads so best of luck to the new management team. We go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think we're well capable of winning one. Tyrone were there for the taking but a lack of any game plan and brain dead defending cost them. There's plenty of potential there

I really and truly hope you're right. I dont see it but I'll never be more happy to be wrong if they get over the line soon.

After 7-10 minutes any fairly capable manager that was watching the match would have been screaming take you point, do not over run the ball. It was not just defensive issue every score we conseeded was from turnovers, Tyron did not win a kickout. A junior B football team manager would know what to do in that situation.

PK is a gentleman, but he and was good at getting the team ready ( even though I question the changes he made from the end of the league to the Tyrone game) but his management during games was brutal

Slava Ukrainii

A massively regressive step for Kerry football. Jack O Connor owes Kerry football nothing and will tarnish his legacy massively. A tactically prehistoric manager combined Mike Quirke, Mike Quirke!!! Mike Quirke was a route 1 only footballer and has been a massively unsuccessful inter county coach. He has zero credentials to be involved with this team. 2 more years of David Clifford and Sean O Shea’s promising football careers going to be wasted. Such disappointing news this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Shocked that Quirke is anywhere near inter-county teams to begin with, nevermind getting this role with Kerry.

It makes zero sense. Laois went backwards with Quirke. If he wanted a former Laois coach John Sugrue would have been a better choice.

On a more important point, Joe O Connor was willing to be involved with Moynihans set up. I wonder would there be any chance of him being involved under Jacks? #McgahahanOut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stefan Okunbor returning home from Australia. Massive news tbh. He recovered from a bad injury this year and looked in excellent shape. Never broke through from the VFL (Reserve) team to the AFL but was a fierce tackler in the games that he played.

Jack played him at Full Back on his u20 team. We have been crying out for an uncompromising defender to add to the team so I am really hopeful that Stefan can be a good addition to the team.

Brilliant news for Na Gaeil as well.

Yep the more competition the better, he certainly looked a decent prospect at the underage codes,

I'm happy enough with the Jack appointment, the panel is excellent imo, just abit of tinkering here and there and more game sense on the line, which I do think Jack had plenty of. Should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Peter Keane's statement says it all.

The players wanted me to stay on.

Thats a man who is uncompromising.

His appointment he fell out and discarded people. Lost Donie Buckley.

Tactically clueless against Dublin with an extra man, a poor Cork team and against Tyrone.

Jack has won it. Can't argue with that.

Still would have rathered Fitzmaurice

The players were hardly going to tell him they didn’t want him in case he got reappointed.

I am disappointed in Keane, he had his chance to walk away with dignity by resigning after the loss to Tyrone. If he could not read the vibes so be it. But now trying to drag the players I to it is very disappointing. Fitzmaurice tried the same sh!the the time he was going.

I would not have liked to see Fitzmaurice back. While 2014 was a great win, he left the team very static after that. He set up a massive panel but refused to integrate younger players onto the match day panels while refusing to release players for club fixtures. He expected players to become intercounty players in an academy set up. He continued with players in 2017/18 who were not good enough to win in 2015/16. He learned nothing from loss to Mayo in 2017 and persisted on playing older players who were unfit after coming back from injury in 2018. He gave Andy Moran a player of the year in 2017.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think that is being hard on Eamon quite honestly. He brought a lot of young lads through in 2018 when he felt they were ready, by all accounts they were not earning their places in training up to then, and many of them just weren’t physically up to it.

The 2017 replay was a disappointment and he definitely got several things wrong, Donnachadh Walsh started but clearly wasn’t fit, playing Murphy as sweeper didn’t work etc. The one that really got me was leaving Enright on Moran for the most of two games when he was getting destroyed. It was a huge factor in him winning POTY as you have mentioned.

Fitzmaurice wasn’t perfect but he wasn’t as terrible as some are making out either IMO. They were always competitive and I think the panel was limited in places if we are being fair to him. He never had great defenders and the ones that were there weren’t even great going forward, he had no centre forward either, remember Paul Murphy playing there at one stage? I think the current panel is better than what he was working with for most of his time from 2013-18. Just my own opinion

I completely agree that fringe players should be allowed play club football btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Putting Griffin on Mcmanus above in Clones should have been a sackable offence for Fitzmaurice alone. I think he set up far too defensively, our games were a chore to watch under him, especially towards the end of his reign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Fitzmaurice also dragged everyone's favourite punchbags, the Kerry supporters, into it when he was leaving. Classic deflection (boxes of anonymous letters shocker!!! So typical of those Kerry savages, look what I had to put up with !!!) and the media fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

I think the County Board should have been clearer from the off, once we lost to Tyrone, they could have issued a short statement saying PK's term is up, we'll now commence the recruitment process and thanked PK and his colleagues for their work. Very shabby that they still have not been thanked regardless of what you think of them, there is not doubt that they put time and effort in over the past 3 years.

The timing is also interesting, you'd wonder if JOC was already on 'a promise' of the job, if we lost to Tyrone (or Mayo in the final).

Advertisement